Freelance Writing "I Updated My Blog" Poll

Would you post links to blog updates in a Freelance Writing I Updated My Blog?

• Bring it on!

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I already post to the thread in Blogging.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I already post to the monthly Just Hit Send threads.

• I already post to the threads in Blogging & JHS.

• I don't post links to updates.

• Maybe.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
In another thread, Cleopatra asked about a thread for blog updates for those in the freelance writing board. I'm not opposed to it, but I decided to put it to a poll.

The poll will be open for a week. After that, we'll see what the majority opinion is.

For discussion, here is the original post:

What would you all think of having a sticky or a sub-forum about freelance writing blogs? There's a blogging forum elsewhere on AW where writers post every time they update their blog, or want to draw attention to a particular post. Perhaps we could do the same thing with our writing blogs. Not only would this be a good way of promoting our blogs, it would help us to remember to check each other's blogs! (I don't know about you, but I try to check out the blogs in people's signatures, but I never remember to do so regularly, even if I'm really interested in the topic!)

Thoughts?

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
I'd post to the new thread. However, I'm concerned that my nonblogging buds and random passersby in Freelance might not check out that thread. I'd be tempted to post blog updates in JHS as well, which might put me at the risk the wrath of the mod's whip! When I post in JHS I know people notice me during their normal checking-in activity.

P.S. Mine's not a writing blog, though. Hopefully, it's humor.

Last edited:

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I see the conflict between posting in JHS and a potential blog thread. But do random passersby check out updates in JHS? I know that I don't always have time to go through messages on JHS whereas I often check out the "Did you update your blog today" in the Blogging forum because the posts are brief and it's easy to see what's out there. But maybe that's just my problem! (says the pregnant mom of a toddler who is smacking on her keyboard even now!) :)

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I think it is redundant. The blogging forum is open for all blogs and if there is another thread in Freelance, personally I feel it would make the other bloggers who have been posting in 'Blogging' look as if they don't matter to us.

What they do is writing just as much as what we do. Some of us do a bit of everything. My blogs are posted over there, I have no problem bouncing around the forums, you meet lots of cool people.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Cleopatra, I had to smile at the word-picture you gave at the end.

The thing is, I don't know that random passers-by would see/actively notice a blog thread, either. To some, it might be "just another sticky" they have to scroll past to get to the other discussions.

SFJ, too true. There are some really cool people all around AW. Here, there, & everywhere. :)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is redundant. The blogging forum is open for all blogs and if there is another thread in Freelance, personally I feel it would make the other bloggers who have been posting in 'Blogging' look as if they don't matter to us.

What they do is writing just as much as what we do. Some of us do a bit of everything. My blogs are posted over there, I have no problem bouncing around the forums, you meet lots of cool people.

I'm with Julie. :)

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that there are cool people all over AW and I enjoy reading different kinds of blogs as well as the pieces in SYW. (Of the four blogs I have, only one is about writing.) I definitely wasn't trying to imply that freelancers were cooler or more interesting than anyone else. I was only trying to think of a way to group the freelance writing blogs, so that they'd be easy to find - much in the way there's a support thread for AW examiners. But, if no one else feels the idea has merit, it's no biggie. I'll just find another way!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I don't blog, but I try to follow so many blogs and I often find myself overwhelmed. I think I'd enjoy a thread listing all the AWer freelancing blogs -- like Cleo says, they'd all be in one place, but people could still keep posting updates in JHS and Blogging like they've always done. If all the URLs are listed in one place, it'd be convenient for people like me who can't find their way out of an online barn. :tongue Just tuppence from a non-blogger, take or leave or ignore entirely. :D

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Your idea DOES have merit. Maybe just a thread with all of our professional blogs, like the Support our Examiners thread? Then we know who has what and we still post blogging related updates over in Blogging?

Yes - I think something like that would be great!