Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm off! Tomorrow and Saturday, a mere 20 minutes from my house.

Primary goal: Convince an agent to represent my book!

Secondary goal: Network like mad.

It runs from 8 am - 9 pm-ish toimorrow, and 8-5 Saturday. I doubt I'll have the brain cells left to get on the Net tomorrow night, but I'll post a recap Saturday night or Sunday and let y'all know if these conferences are worth the money. (They run several around the country.)

Say one for me -- thanks!

- the Lily

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Bad news and good news.

Bad: The sole agent there did not beg to represent me. :)

Good: He said my opening hooked him (Wah-hoo!) and pointed out 3 major ways I can improve the book. Not being a shy Lily, I then said: "I will rewrite. Can I send it to you again?" And he said yes.

So, another couple months of work ahead, with hope!

Here's my comment (and this is only the 2nd conference I've been to, so I could just be clueless).

What's up with all the P-U-S-H to sell books?! Not just books written by the 2 speakers (that's a no-brainer) but books on writing, and not cheaply, either. I dislike being pushed (and had to scrape to get the $200 conf. fee) and bought nothing.

2 days in a humid hotel conference room listening to speakers really fries the brain. They gave half-hour breaks (an excellent schedule, BTW) which really helped. But last night I was toast on the couch.

However, I learned a lot and overall it was worth it.

Lily

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a successful experience overall; good for you for pursuing it with the agent! (They are not easy to impress, in my limited experience.)

I didn't buy any books at my last conference, either. I'd rather find them second-hand online.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a great conference. I think it's great that you were confident enough to get your foot in the door.

Selling books is our business, isn't it? I think it's just natural. Don't give in if you can't afford it. They know people like me go weak in the knees when they see books for sale. :)

At my last conference, I bought a few - by children's authors - got them signed and gave most of them to my kids (with the understanding that they were sacred and should never be put on a garage sale ;-) )

Status
Not open for further replies.