PDA

View Full Version : CAN I WHINE JUST THIS ONCE???

Tika
04-21-2009, 06:14 AM
:rant:

Since AW doesn't really have a 'whine thread', please let me do it here. As a new publisher, I'm plugging along trying to learn the ropes of operating an honest business. I made the decision not to take on any other authors until I know more about the business. I'm using my own books as the 'guinea pigs'.

Long story short, I just released the second book in my series (The Eyes of Innocence). I was thrilled to get 5 orders within a few hours of its release. So, I ordered a carton of books from my printer. I waited and waited, no books. Today, I got a large envelope in the mail from the USPS. Dear Valued Postal Customer - we have an empty carton in the Bulk Mail Center in Philadelphia. Your name is the addressee, but the contents are missing.

In my strive to bring my readers books at the lowest cost possible, combined with my infinite stupidity - I did not insure the shipment. After all these years, I have never ever had a problem. Surprise! There's a first time for everything.

Somebody wanted those books more than you did Tika!

After I finished banging my head on my desk, I opened my electric/gas bill. OMG

Any posts of sympathy will be accepted. Where IS that crying smiley???

Tika

Manix
04-21-2009, 06:19 AM
:cry:this one? Sorry about your craptastic day.

Wayne K
04-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Hey, someone thought your book was good enough to steal. That's something.

Tika
04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Yes, that one would work Manix! ty

Tika
04-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Ha-ha Wayne! You actually made me laugh.

Now if someone would just offer me cake or maybe a drink or a delicious lobster tail, I'd be all better :) :)

Tika :)

Mumut
04-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Surely the post office would have to investigate this. The full box was posted which, I imagine, would mean handing it over the counter into the care of a postal worker. The box wouldn't have been out of the care of the post office except, perhaps, where one of their contractors had responsibility for it. I think it looks as though they should take responsibility for their slackness.

Best of luck, anyway.

Tika
04-21-2009, 07:15 AM
My feelings exactly Mumut. My husband is going to the post office tomorrow with all the paperwork they sent me. If he gets no results, I will mail the Post Master in Washington, D.C.

ty, got cake?

ElsaM
04-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Ouch! How disappointing for you!

I'm happy to offer you a delicious lobster tail if it will make you feel better, but it'll have to be of the virtual variety.

fringle
04-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Oh, that's heartbreaking!

benbradley
04-21-2009, 08:27 AM
:rant:

Since AW doesn't really have a 'whine thread', please let me do it here. As a new publisher, I'm plugging along trying to learn the ropes of operating an honest business. I made the decision not to take on any other authors until I know more about the business. I'm using my own books as the 'guinea pigs'.

Long story short, I just released the second book in my series (The Eyes of Innocence). I was thrilled to get 5 orders within a few hours of its release. So, I ordered a carton of books from my printer.
So are those the ONLY copies of your book that currently exist??? :idea:

I waited and waited, no books. Today, I got a large envelope in the mail from the USPS. Dear Valued Postal Customer - we have an empty carton in the Bulk Mail Center in Philadelphia. Your name is the addressee, but the contents are missing.

In my strive to bring my readers books at the lowest cost possible, combined with my infinite stupidity - I did not insure the shipment. After all these years, I have never ever had a problem. Surprise! There's a first time for everything.

Somebody wanted those books more than you did Tika!

After I finished banging my head on my desk, I opened my electric/gas bill. OMG

Any posts of sympathy will be accepted. Where IS that crying smiley???

Tika

Hey, someone thought your book was good enough to steal. That's something.
And I'd guess the only reason they would have wanted to STEAL those copies is to SELL them (!), most likely online (!!!). Look for copies on eBay, Amazon, half.com or other sites were books can be sold. Do a Google Alert with the title. Check http://bookfinder.com and http://addall.com for copies. As far as what to do if when you find them, you'll have to somehow get police interested in the case. You might want to report these stolen to the police NOW, so they'll have a heads up when they start showing up online (they might have already shown up!).

Surely the post office would have to investigate this. The full box was posted which, I imagine, would mean handing it over the counter into the care of a postal worker. The box wouldn't have been out of the care of the post office except, perhaps, where one of their contractors had responsibility for it. I think it looks as though they should take responsibility for their slackness.

Best of luck, anyway.
Yeah, do that too. But without having paid for insurance, I'm wondering if they'll be that interested. See if you can get both the regular police interested as well the USPIS. They might be interested if you can convince them these books were stolen for profit and resale, and they're the only copies that exist. It would be hard for such a thief to have taken a worse package!

But if all you wanted to do was whine, please disregard this post. :)

ETA: I see there are many copies of that title by "Tika" on Amazon - I'd keep checking and look for when "like new" copies show up.

I'm on a big used bookseller's forum, and I can post a link to this thread to give a heads-up if a stranger walks into someone's bookstore wanting to sell several new copies of your book. It might be a long shot, but would you like me to do that?

Tika
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Sure Ben, please do.
I've already searched ebay, but that's as far as I've gone so far. I'll look into more tomorrow.
Thank you for your time and help :)

Christine N.
04-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I had that happen to me once as well, but the books were coming from Canada, from the publisher. I got a note from USPS and part of the carton with my address on it. Never did find the books either.

So I sympathize.

Phaeal
04-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Sorry about your postal dilemma.

Oh, btw, you need to put in a link to your website for us lazy people who won't bother to type it out after we clicky in vain on everything in your signature. That could boost hits and potential sales.

See Christine N.'s sig above for an example of clicky goodness.

PS: I went to the Thistlewood website after all, but I couldn't find an excerpt from either of the books offered. I never buy a book without sampling it, so another unsolicited suggestion: put in an excerpt or two.

Oh, and here's that smiley you were looking for: :cry:

I prefer this one: :Soapbox:

;)

Matera the Mad
04-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Owoo! :( :cry:

Those lazy clickers need to learn how to copy and paste :tongue

stormie
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Whine away. That's pretty crappy. I'm passing you several bottles of wine to go with the whine. http://thm-a04.yimg.com/image/0933008a70d6b5ee And it's at the beach, too!

benbradley
04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Sure Ben, please do.
I've already searched ebay, but that's as far as I've gone so far. I'll look into more tomorrow.
Thank you for your time and help :)

Woops, now I see it's "Forever in Her Dreams" you're talking about. "The Eyes of Innocence" you mentioned in your first post is the title of the series as well as the title of the first book.

But it does look like there are quite a few used copies already around and available for sale:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=Tika+Newman&title=Forever+in+Her+Dreams&lang=en&st=xl&ac=qr

Williebee
04-21-2009, 09:34 PM
That does suck. Please don't let it slow you down.

I wonder, Folks -- would it be worthwhile to make a small change (cover, inside page, etc.) before the next printing, to help the stolen one's stand out?

Probably not cost effective, though.

Williebee -- just thinking out loud...

Ms Hollands
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
That sucks. I just ate a French pastry for you. Not quite cake, but very tasty nonetheless. Hopefully that counts. Good luck chasing this up. I hope you get a positive result.

Michiru
04-22-2009, 01:06 AM
*big ol hug* That goes beyond irritating to heartbreaking. You're handling it a lot better than I would be.

maestrowork
04-22-2009, 01:44 AM
People suck.

Good thing you have a sense of humor about this.

It happened to me (well, my reader) once. I sent a signed copy to someone, but she got a note from the post office that the envelope had been opened and the book inside was gone. It's sad but true. I sent her another copy and she received that one. Still, I wonder who would want to steal a stupid little book.

Uncarved
04-22-2009, 02:00 AM
People suck.

Good thing you have a sense of humor about this.

It happened to me (well, my reader) once. I sent a signed copy to someone, but she got a note from the post office that the envelope had been opened and the book inside was gone. It's sad but true. I sent her another copy and she received that one. Still, I wonder who would want to steal a stupid little book.

Its not a stupid little book, its YOUR stupid little book :D