What have you gotten in trade for writing?

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I just agreed to help a memoir author write her queries and proposals in exchange for her professional services as a life coach. I'm very excited about what seems like a beneficial trade for both of us.

Have you ever traded your writing services for something besides money? If so, what did you barter for what?

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I just agreed <snip>

Have you ever traded your writing services for something besides money? If so, what did you barter for what?

Flowers, a melody, a party, a bottle of Chivas and a pair of underwear.

ETA: not all at the same time!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to relatives, not a darn thing, even so much as a simple "thank you." They used to act like I was the family scribe or something, everything from business letters to helping their kids write essays for school and so on.

Not anymore, though. I finally wised up when my efforts were never reciprocated, and more than once I've heard, "But it's just writing. How hard can it be?"

Oh, I don't know. If it's that easy, then why don't you do it yourself?

Funny how when I need something from them, it's either paid for in blood or money or both.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was asked for help by my much younger sister-in-law, but when my advice was "too hard", she decided to ask her "i cant spel" sister instead. I'm sure it worked out juuuuust fine. As for me, I decided to stick to cash.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I would like to say sex. Or a kiss. Or maybe even a hug. I would have taken flowers. But no. I think it was more of a, "you do this stuff better than I do" combined with a laugh.

Husbands. eh.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Hey, that sounds like an awesome deal! Good luck with it.

As for me? One VERY BIG coffee cup. (Ah, heaven.) A stamp that says "B***s***" (which I use every time I pay my bills, LOL) and an Amazon gift certificate.