Query madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I don't know if this belongs here, and if it doesn't, my sincerest apologies.

I haven't been sending out queries for a very long time, but I'm starting to get frustrated with the whole query-writing system. I can never find good examples of fantasy queries to see how they're set up, and every time I re-write a new query, there's always something wrong with it.

Every free moment in my head I'm constructing a new query, and with every new query, I find little problems and it's driving me crazy. The perfect query escapes me time and time again.

And without the perfect query, I fear I'll never actually get propper representation. For the past few days I haven't been able to get my mind off my query, and my head is buzzing.

I want to go back to thinking about my books all the time, not how to get them good representation. :rant:

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, it really sounds like you need a break! :)

I definitely feel your pain. Have you shared your query in the SYW thread to see what others think about it? I had to bite the bullet and do it and gained some valuable feedback.

Other than that, sometimes you just need to step back and not think about it. I know it's hard but if you immerse yourself in something else and come back to the query later (especially with suggestions from others), you might be able to craft something you're happy with.

But is there a "perfect" query that will satisfy all agents/publishers? No, so just do the best you can.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I went to SYW. It was kind of painful, especially since I got my "best" query ripped apart pretty badly. But I appreciated the feedback, regardless.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Remember, just because the folks in queryhell are opinionated, it doesn't mean they're always right. Take all advice with a grain of salt...

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I realized that earlier today when I was like, "Wait, why am I taking this so seriously?" But it's good to hear that from someone else...

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I thought I had the perfect query...then off to SYW I go and it was ripped to shreds. But I didn't like the "new" query at all, nor did I like the old one any better. What I did learn from all the feedback was what did NOT work in the original query. From that and snippets of the re-written query, I was able to piece together a much better query.

But it is frustrating and it takes time to get it right. Simplify it with:

Who and what is your protagonist?
Where does protagonist live (setting)?
What is the complicating incident?
What must the protagonist do to the villain(s) in order to reach his/her goal, i.e. magor conflict(s).

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, that's a really simple way of putting it. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I inevitibly start writing my next query.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another framework that I found useful when constructing the blurb portion of my query:

[MC] is a [fill in the blank] who [fill in the blank giving character's current situation].

Suddenly or But when [fill in the event that gets the plot rolling]

Now MC must or Will MC be able to?

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if your misery is in the mood for company, I posted my query and my opening pages in the review forums, and they are much better for the criticism. But I'm still not sure that it's made much difference in terms of attracting an agent.

I've got three queries out at the moment, so maybe...

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Yikes! It definitely sounds like you need to take a break from your query. Seriously, try occupying yourself with something else for a while. Work on something else.

I once did that. Revised the heck out of my query letter. Even after I changed it according to feedback in Query Hell, it was NEVER up to snuff.

Maybe you can try coming up with a deadline to finalize your query? Or just give it ONE more revision then leave it alone? That might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.