Windows XP Fax function

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
OK, here's an esoteric question for you. I've searched the internet and the MS forums looking for answer, but haven't been able to find it.

I finally got around (in frustration at not owning a fax machine), to using the fax function within Windows XP. I don't have any of the usual problems. I have a modem, I know how to hook the telephone line up to it. I can send faxes with no problem.

The problem is that, even though I've checked, double checked and triple checked that the page size is really set to "letter," on the receiving end it thinks it's legal sized.

The faxes I've sent have been from MS Word, using the print function, and I've checked both the document page setup and the fax printer preferences to make sure both are set to "letter" size paper. The documentation says that the fax preference setting should take precedence anyway.

And, I've checked that the fax on the other end can and does receive both letter sized and legal sized faxes. When I send faxes not using my own computer (using an internet fax service), they come out on the letter sized paper, just like they're s'posed to.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's a relief. Now I'm sure it's not just me being clueless, since nobody else has any suggestions.

What about a little sympathy, at least?

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
<Sigh>

I guess everybody really does have me on ignore...

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
lol. I can see you, Knit.

I just can't help you.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
We're even. I can't help myself either.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
I think the way this works is that you have an imaginary printer called "the fax machine" and that this imaginary printer is actually Microsoft Outlook or Outlook express, which converts it into an actual fax (i.e., a telephone call). So try looking in your Programs | Accessories menu for something with a name like Fax or Fax Service Management and see if that has anything interesting to say.

Unfortunately this is very Windows version dependent.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
I don't use Outlook or Outlook Express. Regardless of that, you can print faxes either by using the virtual printer driver (i.e. wherever you can print to a printer, select the printer called "Fax" and print to it) or you can work from the Fax Console (which you find with all the other printers, and can send a document or file as a fax. In either case, the preferences setting control the page size (just like for a printer).

If I do as you suggest, and go through the program menu to Programs > Accessories > Communications > Fax, I end up back at the very same Fax Console, with all the same options.

But thanks for the suggestion.