Dog Bites

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
I was attacked by a dog this weekend, so if anyone needs any information about dog bites or what doctors say about them or what you have to do or any of that stuff, I'm a very good resource now.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
!!

I hope you are OK! I was attacked years ago, and it's terrifying for a long while, I think. (I thought they'd have to sew my scalp back on, but I just needed lots of stitches).

Wow, take care. And yes, it's the sort of thing hearing firsthand experience of can really help make vivid for the reader!

Maui Author

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much backslash. Unfortunately the bite on my leg is really deep - it was a very big dog - so they can't stitch it up because of the large risk of infection. So I'm on crutches, antibiotics and rest.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Uggghh! Yes, they try not to stitch if possible. That has to be so freaky. Remember, even horrible looking wounds wind up healing in a way that will astound you. Right now, though... yeah, painful and freaky! :Hug2:

Mine was mostly tearing, but I had some puncture wounds on my shoulder. Keep it clean and hang in there! Take the antibiotics religiously.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Eep, feel better!

I'd suggest you write down all the details for future reference. You never know when they may come in handy. :)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh! I suggest emu oil when the wound starts to heal up a little bit. It will speed up the healing process and help prevent some scarring. If you don't want to go find emu oil (it's available all over the place online) or if you're vegetarian or something, try aloe on the scab once the wound is mostly closed. That will also help with scarring and healing.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
The human body is a marvel. Most likely, you'll be surprised at how well it heals. I hope it doesn't turn you off of dogs, because most don't attack like that.

Maui Author

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, you guys have made me feel a lot better!

I've written down all the events from that night and the 30 witnesses that were there. And I will definitely try emu oil! I'm nervous that I will be afraid of dogs, as I do love them, but this experience really jarred me. I didn't even see him coming, he attacked me from behind. But I will make a good point to be around some nice mannered dogs in the next few weeks so I don't become too afraid.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I was afraid of big dogs running up at me later (I live in the country, so that happens, lol). It took about 2 years to stop that!

Most dogs you see will be kinda goofy and smiling, so hopefully that helps ;) I love dogs :)

[My attacker had an embalism and went insane - an aquaintence's German shepherd/chow mix. He wasn't OK physically then either, and had to be put down. I feel sorry for him, actually :( ]

Take care :Hug2:

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Just remember that dogs can sense fear. That sounds funny, but it's true. They get nervous when they sense that you're nervous. Dogs are generally happy-go-lucky, friendly creatures that just want you to love them. Just keep in mind that when you meet a dog, you're pretty much safe in assuming it wants to be your friend. As long as you're calm, the dog will be too.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, you guys have made me feel a lot better!

I've written down all the events from that night and the 30 witnesses that were there. And I will definitely try emu oil! I'm nervous that I will be afraid of dogs, as I do love them, but this experience really jarred me. I didn't even see him coming, he attacked me from behind. But I will make a good point to be around some nice mannered dogs in the next few weeks so I don't become too afraid.

Jolly good, you never know when the experience may come in handy for your writing.

If you were local I'd invite you to come cuddle my dog. He's the biggest softy in the world (when he's not chasing squirrels). :)

JrFFKacy

Rookie Firefighter
Registered
Reaction score
I was bit by a dog a few months ago. Only I was lucky, it was a Bichon Frise I was grooming and she only grabbed my hand (though she sunk her teeth in pretty good -- enough to draw blood). I was just mad because she'd had several terrible experiences with the groomer she had before me, and was terrified of being groomed. Which was why I was asked to groom her, since her owner had had enough of the other woman's roughness with her dog. So I get bit for someone else's (aka former groomer) stupidity...nice

Talk to your Dr about it, but around here, we've found 'Bag Balm' to be one of the best things for healing stuff up. It's mildly antiseptic and we use it all the time when we get cracks on our hands, and other deeper sort of stuff. It's supposed to be for cows, but the can rarely ever makes it to the barn ... lol...

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I was bitten (twice) on the hand by a rottweiler. (Long story but it wasn't the dog's fault - he was convulsing and my hand happened to get between his teeth.)

Anyway, one of the punctures did get infected. You could see it - a dime-sized circle of pus right at the base of my thumb. My mother told me to soak it in salt water and the infection was gone within eight hours.

Water needs to be as hot as you can stand and add lots of salt (until the water can't hold any more). Then soak for 10-15 minutes every 2-3 hours. Did it four times total.

Maui Author

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind. So far, it seems to be healing nicely, although I still have a small amount of blood (but the doctor said that was good as it gets the bacteria out). The ER told me to follow up with a physician so I'm going to try and do that tomorrow if I can.

GordonK

Registered
Reaction score
Get well soon, Maui.

I was bitten by a big dog when I was a kid (about 5-7yo, I guess) on my thigh. For quite a long time afterward, I was very scary of dogs. When I finally got over the trauma, however, I've found that dogs--big or small--tend to be very friendly to me. Dunno why. It's now the goddamn cats biting my finger when I stick one inside their mouths while they're lying on their backs and I tickling them.