PDA

View Full Version : Crank 2: High Voltage

dclary
04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
The first Crank movie was fantastically silly fun and gore and sex and everything that makes being a man so tremendously awesome. It filled a big gaping hole in the movie universe that hadn't been adequately covered since the 80s.

Unfortunately, the "hero" of Crank died at the end of the movie. Or did he?

Crank 2: High Voltage begins with the impossibly silly conceit that Chev Chellios (Jason Statham) survived his plunge out of a helicopter onto the streets of LA, only to fall victim to organ thieves, who steal his heart (now considered a biological miracle, due to the reputation of his feats from the first movie) and replace it with a battery-operated one.

There are scenes in this movie that are funny, some very cool action and gore scenes (I don't think I've ever seen more nipple and breast damage in a film before). And the Hollywood Park scene is as hilarious as you'd hope.

But in the final analysis, Crank 2 does not live up to its predecessor. Despite even more crazy characters from the seediest parts of the LA underworld, this movie feels like several set pieces too loosely connected by the slightest of threads.

I had a great time watching the movie, but most of the time, it was because I was remembering scenes in the first that I thought were better.

fairy86
04-20-2009, 08:07 PM
The first movie was awesome! I've been so excited about seeing this movie . . . primarily because of Jason Statham. Thanks for the review I'll probably just wait until it is released on DVD.

Zoombie
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM

I think that movie just hurt me in my common sense...

Zipotes
04-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I was supposed to see this on Saturday and totally got stood up. :rant:So, I'm going next weekend instead.

Zoombie
04-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Is it possible to make an action movie with a premise and set of action sequences that, you know...are...not...stupid?

Fox The Cave
04-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Hey hey, don't hate on Crank!

Crank was so ridiculous, and knew it, that was just brilliant. It takes a special type of genius to not even remove the Google Earth logo from satellite tracking shots! The fact that it was so unapologetically crazy was what made that movie so great, you're cracking up every couple of seconds. Me and my friends watched the whole thing once putting Jason Stathams "sit on my lap" line from Death Race in every scene. Retarded? Yes. Comic gold? Oh yeah.

Haven't seen the sequel yet, but i've been looking forward to it for months.

nahalwi
04-21-2009, 09:34 PM
I had SO much fun with both of these. They are genius. I mean, people like the type of stupidity that makes them laugh! I think there was one part of the movie that I just thought was dumb....head anyone?...and Godzilla was too drawn out for me, but for some reason it didn't stop me from laughing at it.

Fox The Cave
04-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Plus...Amy Smart...i'd like to have a go on that ride...

Aschenbach
04-26-2009, 04:00 AM
In the 80s we had loads of action heroes. Arnie, Stallone, Van Damme, Seagal, and many other minor figures like Dolph Lundgren.

Where have they all gone? Now only Vin Diesel and Jason Statham are the pure action movie actors.

We have Daniel Craig and Matt Damon in the Bond/Bourne films but you know their action is all choreographed. They are lightweights. Statham was a champion diver and martial artist before he started acting. I completely believe him when he plays a violent thug.