PDA

View Full Version : Those really fine curtains that come in puke brown...

Fenika
04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
...can they be bleached? I have two of them. One is rather fancy and more a light tan than a puke brown, so I might leave it. But the other is dire and I want to cut it up for my kitchen and bath windows. But I don't want it brown. Can I safely bleach it? Any other ideas?

And I don't care if they are slightly more see through after the bleaching, as long as they live for a year.

:)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-20-2009, 07:07 PM
If you're talking about the ones made of polyester - sheers - I'd say... no. The bleach might turn them into a gooey mass of melted yuck.

But sheers are pretty cheap. Walmart can fix you up.

Fenika
04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
*walks over to sheet* *checks tag*

100% polyester. Bugger.

I might have to try a corner of the puke one to see if I get goo. It sounds fun :D

AZ_Dawn
04-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Did you have to say puke brown? I had a stomach bug last week!:e2thud:(On the other hand, I know the exact color of your curtains.)

Adam
04-20-2009, 11:22 PM
*walks over to sheet* *checks tag*

100% polyester. Bugger.

I might have to try a corner of the puke one to see if I get goo. It sounds fun :D

Try not to breath it in! :D

Maryn
04-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Polyester holds dyes extremely well. I wouldn't expect any color change with bleach.

Be aware that thrift shops have a steady supply of window coverings, including curtains, and they're available new and not all that expensive at discount stores and those big imports and move-other-stores'-rejects stores (The Christmas Tree Shop, Bargain Outlets, Big Lots, etc.), too.

Maryn, who made curtains fairly recently and is pleased with the results

Williebee
04-21-2009, 12:12 AM
two words: (Edited to fix) tie dye.
(tie die was a snuff film, I think.)

Peace.

Pagey's_Girl
04-21-2009, 03:58 AM
two words: (Edited to fix) tie dye....

Groovy! :D

TheIT
04-21-2009, 04:03 AM
Embellishments, perhaps? I've been using those flower garlands from Michael's instead of a valance over my patio door blinds.

Fenika
04-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Cheers folks :) Will check the dollar store when I get some cash.

Embellishments, perhaps? I've been using those flower garlands from Michael's instead of a valance over my patio door blinds.

I think I need a pic of that :D
And whats a valance? Oh right, it's the window thingies that come in puke brown ;)

TheIT
04-21-2009, 04:13 AM
I think I need a pic of that :D
And whats a valance? Oh right, it's the window thingies that come in puke brown ;)

The drapes cover the whole window for privacy. A valance is purely decorative like a short set of drapes which cover the top edge of the drapes. Usually the valance is an accent color and is a good way to hide any hardware at the top of the drapes. The valance is supported by another curtain rod.

I used to have a valance over my patio door until my fourteen pound cat decided he wanted to sit on top of it. Needless to say, no more valance. ;) Instead, I strung up garlands across the top to add some color.

Matera the Mad
04-21-2009, 04:30 AM
Bury them in manure for a few months.

Pagey's_Girl
04-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Bead them?