Those really fine curtains that come in puke brown...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...can they be bleached? I have two of them. One is rather fancy and more a light tan than a puke brown, so I might leave it. But the other is dire and I want to cut it up for my kitchen and bath windows. But I don't want it brown. Can I safely bleach it? Any other ideas?

And I don't care if they are slightly more see through after the bleaching, as long as they live for a year.

:)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If you're talking about the ones made of polyester - sheers - I'd say... no. The bleach might turn them into a gooey mass of melted yuck.

But sheers are pretty cheap. Walmart can fix you up.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*walks over to sheet* *checks tag*

100% polyester. Bugger.

I might have to try a corner of the puke one to see if I get goo. It sounds fun :D

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Did you have to say puke brown? I had a stomach bug last week!:e2thud:(On the other hand, I know the exact color of your curtains.)

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
*walks over to sheet* *checks tag*

100% polyester. Bugger.

I might have to try a corner of the puke one to see if I get goo. It sounds fun :D

Try not to breath it in! :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Polyester holds dyes extremely well. I wouldn't expect any color change with bleach.

Be aware that thrift shops have a steady supply of window coverings, including curtains, and they're available new and not all that expensive at discount stores and those big imports and move-other-stores'-rejects stores (The Christmas Tree Shop, Bargain Outlets, Big Lots, etc.), too.

Maryn, who made curtains fairly recently and is pleased with the results

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Embellishments, perhaps? I've been using those flower garlands from Michael's instead of a valance over my patio door blinds.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers folks :) Will check the dollar store when I get some cash.

Embellishments, perhaps? I've been using those flower garlands from Michael's instead of a valance over my patio door blinds.

I think I need a pic of that :D
And whats a valance? Oh right, it's the window thingies that come in puke brown ;)

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I think I need a pic of that :D
And whats a valance? Oh right, it's the window thingies that come in puke brown ;)

The drapes cover the whole window for privacy. A valance is purely decorative like a short set of drapes which cover the top edge of the drapes. Usually the valance is an accent color and is a good way to hide any hardware at the top of the drapes. The valance is supported by another curtain rod.

I used to have a valance over my patio door until my fourteen pound cat decided he wanted to sit on top of it. Needless to say, no more valance. ;) Instead, I strung up garlands across the top to add some color.