PDA

View Full Version : Strange Question About Previously Published Material

zanizh
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
There's a small forum I'm involved with and week before last, I wrote a small story for a writer's block challenge which won the contest. I'm thinking this story might be good to revamp and submit to markets. However, I'm a little confused as to what might be considered previously published since this piece is posted on a forum. (?)

Also, the challenge was to write a fairytale or nursery rhyme from a completely different perspective. So I wrote a spin from a famous nursery rhyme, like telling the real life version of what happened. What genre would that fit under?

Thanks a ton in advance, guys and gals.

zanizh
04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Wow. I'm used to replies within mere minutes. Have I finally stumped the forum?

Cyia
04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Is the short still posted? If so, get it off the Internet before Google cache can grab a copy. If it's a protected forum (like "share your work" here) you should be okay, I think. I'm sure others with more info and expertise will be able to tell you more.

CACTUSWENDY
04-20-2009, 08:12 PM
When you entered the contest....what did they say in print about your rights? That would be my first question. Was there $$$ or any comps from you winning? If it was just a bunch of fellow writers doing a contest for fun and not profit....you should not have any problems as I see it. I would have it taken off the site if you have no holds on it for the group. IMHO

zanizh
04-21-2009, 03:47 AM
There was no expressed rights for it. Just a bunch of writers challenging ourselves. It was a spur of the moment thing and I wrote it not even thinking about the publishing aspect. It's a good piece though and I'd like to be able to market it now. I guess I could try to see if they'll remove it but since it was the winner, I don't know if they'll be too thrilled about it.