PDA

View Full Version : I need a beta reader...

free_cashews_on_me
04-20-2009, 01:09 AM
... so what do I do? Should I just post like ten pages on a thread or forum or what?

Maryn
04-20-2009, 01:50 AM
What I've done, and seen others do, which has ended in a successful beta arrangement is to post a chapter or two at the appropriate SYW (share your work) board seeking critique.

Beta-ing isn't the same, but you will be able to tell from critiques you receive who's on your wave length, who knows their stuff, who clearly dislikes the subgenre or your concept, who's clueless, and such. By reading other critiques at the same SYW board, you'll be able to identify more people who also (or do not) seem like a good match for your work.

Then you might send a private message to each potential beta reader, telling them what it is about the feedback they gave on a particular work which makes you think they'd be a great beta for yours. Offer to try a fairly short segment, maybe 25 pp., to see if the arrangement is going to work, and if it does, you're off to the races.

Of course, you always thank betas profusely, even if you disagreed with or were stung by their feedback, and you keep your mind open when you beta their work in exchange.

I've done a little beta reading here and had the pleasure of reading some excellent work, and the pleasure--yes, it was--of helping some others learn to identify and repair some of their weaknesses as writers of not-so-excellent work, without hurting their feelings.

Maryn, hoping this helps

Fade
04-20-2009, 01:56 AM
I'd check around and see who knows what their doing, like Maryn said, and you can also post what your stories about and what genre it's in on Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Partners subforum. But I'd see if they critted any work before accepting their help. See if you like their advice.