PDA

View Full Version : help with 1776 London & Paris (American Revolution)

barbilarry
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Hello,
My WIP is set in three countries. It is a four part historical romance. First part is seven chapters long. Done. I need research help on 1776 time period in London and Paris. I am not having good luck finding specific information on help given by Paris and London to aid American Revolution. Any guidence would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jane

Puma
04-19-2009, 11:52 PM
You might look up the book "The Most Dangerous Man in America". It's about Ben Franklin and his diplomatic role during the Revolution.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you're looking for. In your post you said ...

"I am not having good luck finding specific information on help given by Paris and London to aid American Revolution."

The Revolution was the American colonists rebelling against England - so there wouldn't have been help or aid from London. Can you be more specific in what you're asking? Puma

barbilarry
04-20-2009, 02:38 AM
hi puma
Your'e absolutely right. I had a brain fart. I want to know what it was like in paris from 1775 till 1779. what was the nobility like? what were the harbors like? i know France did financing and sent french ships to help our ships fight the english. Plus they sent troops. My main Character sails to france from america with important dispatch for the french. I need descriptions of harbor and life in france in 1775-1779. I hope I made it clearer.
thanks
Jane

Puma
04-20-2009, 02:53 AM
It was before the French Revolution. There's a lot written on the period, both fiction and non-fiction. One book I read in college was "Europe and the Ancien Regime" - not just France, but, possibly of some help. The book I mentioned on Franklin should also be of help to you.

I think you should be able to come up with some preliminary information by using Google. Try something like France "Ancien Regime" (in quotes to keep the two words together). Or Paris Pre-Revolution. Things like that should lead you to some terms that will be even better for what you need.

Or, wait a while and someone else should come along who can point you to more specific references. You might also want to check in the Historical Genre forum for the references by time period (a sticky). Puma

CarolSanDiego
04-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Try Alistaire Horne's book - the Seven Ages of Paris. That might give you some good information on the politics and nobility and a glimpse into the life of the "regular" citizens at that time in France. I'm not sure that it goes into details on harbors though.