Quick Questions RE: Tongue Piercings

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
For anyone who has had their tongue pierced...

Was your speech affected in the first few days?

How long did it take to heal (to the point that it stopped hurting)?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Uh, no.

And not while you're living under my roof young lady.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I did know a guy who had his tongue pierced and the pain was only for a few days.

I think they have that part of it figured out pretty well.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
A guy at my office has his tongue pierced. It definitely affects his speech - and he's had it for years.

Really? Weird. I've known several people who have them, and I didn't notice it in their speech...I'm just curious if the tongue swells at first, if it takes some getting used to as far as speaking, etc.

askcb

If in doubt, mumble
Registered
Reaction score
About a million years ago, an exboyfriend and I got ours done together (romantic, right?) and neither of us had any problems. It honestly had been more painful to get my ears done than my tongue. You have to turn it, I think a few times a day, I dont really remember, and rinse often for a week or so. No swelling, no pain, no weird speech problems. But I know it's different for different people. If the size is large it would be more noticeable and might affect the way you talk. Some people like to play with them so they're always noticable.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember my friend's affecting her speech when she had it done. It did hurt when he tried to eat fries from McD's.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
My husband's tongue swelled a lot and stayed swollen for about a week, but he didn't follow directions. He played around (rolling it around in his mouth and between his lips etc) with it as soon as it was done and made it swell. I don't think it swells and what-not unless you irritate it. His speech is only different if he has a bar in that's too long, though.

katatonic

Mine stayed swollen for about a week, and didn't affect my speech...maybe just the speed of my speech for the first few weeks.

There was no pain, it just felt a little weird. I actually found it to be the least painful piercing out of all the ones I had (ears, eyebrow, nipple, lip, nose, staple). Don't have any anymore though....

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
My father is a tattoo artist and piercer so I've seen a bajillion tongue piercings. It is normal for it to swell. Typically, if it affects your speech you need to adjust the length of the bar you're wearing.

As an aside, my father strongly discourages tongue-piercing (even though he'll do it), because it is so often associated with nerve damage. The nerve that controls sensation in your tongue runs right through the center of it...right where people want to get pierced. It's incredibly difficult to avoid it when piercing.