How to have a fantastic day

David Conner

Wake up, my dear. We're home!
Registered
Reaction score
Every morning when we wake up, at some conscious or unconscious level, we are hoping that the day will add to the sum total of our positive life experiences. But how many of us actually take deliberate actions to make this hope a reality?

Here are a few suggestions to tip the odds of having a good day in your favor:
1) Each morning, make a conscious decision to have a good day. As the day progresses, remind yourself of this commitment and adjust your attitude accordingly as needed.
2) The moment you awaken, as soon as the cobwebs have cleared a bit, laugh out loud for seven seconds. You will never feel sillier than the first time you do this, but it is incredibly effective. By taking this simple action you will accomplish three things: a. You will be wide awake by the time your feet hit the floor. b. You will actually release chemicals into your bloodstream that make you feel good. And c. You will be free of all pretenses of grandiose sophistication you may have previously harbored. I will add a word of warning, however: if you are not sleeping alone, give your partner a heads-up before you do this. It is easier to explain ahead of time than afterward.
3) Pray. Ask your "Higher Power" for the wherewithall to focus your energy and awareness outside of your own perspective. Connecting with others and with the world around you is vital to any kind of lasting happiness. If you are an Athiest or an Agnostic, pray to the doorknob. After all, without it's cooperation, you cannot even get out of your house.
4) If a morning commute is part of your routine, try to leave a few minutes early so that you will not have the stress of rushing to work, school, or the yard sale. Then, not being in such a rush yourself, you can take advantage of opportunities to allow others to cut in front of you as they join your lane of traffic. savor the good will as they wave their appreciation of your generosity. Heavy traffic is ripe with opportunities to enjoy the good side of human nature. Unfortunately, in this very environment, many choose to live in the frustrating hell of a "me first" attitude. I have been there. When I view the highway through the lens of a football player, my victories are hollow and dangerous. My defeats are enraging and miserable. It does not have to be this way. It is a simple matter of choosing the perspective you wish to apply. Imagine that every other driver is either your pastor or your Mom, and that their rear bumper is your shin.
5) When you get to work, do not work for your paycheck. Work for the success of your company and the security of your co-workers...whether they deserve it or not. With few exceptions, you will come to find that they do deserve it, and your security will increase in like measure.
6) Treat everyone you meet as if this is going to be their last day on earth. For all you know, it will be.
7) When you get home, give time to those you love. Listen to them. Tell them what you admire about them and what you are grateful for. After all, this may be your last day on earth. While you're at it, finish your day with a prayer to the one who loves you the most (or to the doorknob): listen to him/her/it, express your admiration and gratitude. Pray as though it all depends on your higher power and live as though it all depends on you...because it does.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice. Some very nice suggestions. :)

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent post, David. :Thumbs:

It's all about attitude, isn't it?

There are some things that you can not change, like the weather, traffic jams, long lines at the grocery store, etc. What you can change is your attitude towards those things. If I get stuck in a long line at the grocery store, I spend the time looking at all the magazines by the register.

If you are an Athiest or an Agnostic, pray to the doorknob. After all, without it's cooperation, you cannot even get out of your house.
:ROFL:

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Lovely thread.

The only problem I have is that I'm jinxed. To tell myself that I'm gonna have a great day would quite possibly incur the wrath of the Fates who would rain on me/ make me oversleep/ make me stand in dog do at every possible juncture. This happen to anyone else?

ETA: I'm not entirely cynical! I have found that brushing these things off and changing my mindset, does prevent my mood from snowballing into a foul one.

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
very well put, Dave.
I truly believe it's our responsibility to seek and find joy every single day.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
If you are an Athiest or an Agnostic, pray to the doorknob. After all, without it's cooperation, you cannot even get out of your house.

Heck, you can't even get out of your bedroom unless the doorknob cooperates. (This coming from someone who once had to pry the hinge pins out of her bedroom door with a letter opener because the doorknob broke. Heckuva way to start a Monday....)

Seriously, though, great advice.