PDA

View Full Version : Names that make you go eeeeeek!

WildScribe
04-19-2009, 01:51 AM
In a childcare job a few years back, I was terrorized by an untreated schizophrenic that I worked with. Her name was Susan.

Flash forward a year or so, and we meet Susie, the uptight waitress who somehow saw me as direct competition toward getting a management job, and set out to get me (specifically me) busted for any minor infraction that she could. It never amounted to much, but it got REALLY annoying. (There was also a rude waitress named Suzanne, who I almost never had to work with, thank goodness)

At the same time, I was a member of a critique group. One of the more prolific writers, Sharon, took offense at a critique that I gave (not that it's relevant, exactly, but the critique was valid and was not rudely made). She started flaming anything I posted.

When I left the one waitressing job, I got another job at a restaurant where there was a Shirley who decided that she hated me, and made sure that I knew it. I have NO IDEA why she took a dislike.

In every one of these situations, I have been nice to the offending person. I have been well liked among the rest of my co-workers, and - this is the funny part - so were the people who went after me.

Oh, and I have an evil Aunt Sherry.

Susan, Suzie, Suzanne, Sharon, Shirley, Sherry... Notice a pattern? What is UP here?

scarletpeaches
04-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Every Amanda or Donna I've ever known in real life has been a stuck up cow.

WildScribe
04-19-2009, 01:57 AM
See? There is some sort of power in names. All the Amandas I have ever known have been conniving and bitchy, but rarely to me.

Every time I see the name "Susan" in print or whatever, I get tingles on the back of my neck and I have the urge to go hide, literally. I hear that name and I think "Oh, the drama that is about to start..."

Greenify13
04-19-2009, 02:07 AM
Amanda, Amber, Ashley...ugh anymore A-named people you want to toss at me? Like wet cats seeking vengeance! No offense to anyone with those names or an "A" name, my history with them is horrible and only one or two of those names came out good. And there are of course quite a few more names...but these stand out.

Sophia
04-19-2009, 02:39 AM
You need to spend half a second with our very own Susie, and all your negative associations with her name will be swept away! :)

blackrose602
04-19-2009, 05:54 AM
For me it's David/Dave. I have an evil Uncle David. My psycho ex-boyfriend is named Dave, and my cousin's horrid ex-husband is David. I know a few others, and one is more or less okay, the rest...shudder. No offense to any Davids here!

Barb D
04-19-2009, 05:55 AM
I have the sweetest cat named Susie you'd ever want to meet.

zenwriter
04-19-2009, 06:03 AM
I had a writing employer once named Amanda, and that's the name I have to vote for. This person was so abusive and awful that I still hate to hear that name. Gah. I'm sure that there are nice Amandas out there, but that really tainted the name for me.

firedrake
04-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Bruce

*shudders*

Chase
04-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Susan, Suzie, Suzanne, Sharon, Shirley, Sherry... Notice a pattern? What is UP here?

Um . . . yeah . . . there definitely is a pattern. From college psychology classes, I recall associative comparison and projection.

What may be up is someone's convinced Aunt Sherry was evil, and someone associates the sibilant sounds of her name with evil and projects evilness onto anyone whose name begins with the sound.

They might react in an unfriendly manner when someone screams in their faces: "My god! What a horrible name! You cannot be anything other than the evil bitch of the known universe!"

Or it just could be the breath of folks in and around Gilroy, California. Garlic isn't just for ticking off vampires.

Rarri
04-19-2009, 07:28 PM
All my DH's former partners were called Sarah... I bucked the trend, being Shona :D

WildScribe
04-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Um . . . yeah . . . there definitely is a pattern. From college psychology classes, I recall associative comparison and projection.

What may be up is someone's convinced Aunt Sherry was evil, and someone associates the sibilant sounds of her name with evil and projects evilness onto anyone whose name begins with the sound.

They might react in an unfriendly manner when someone screams in their faces: "My god! What a horrible name! You cannot be anything other than the evil bitch of the known universe!"

Or it just could be the breath of folks in and around Gilroy, California. Garlic isn't just for ticking off vampires.

Nice try. I discovered that Sherry was evil after I had bad experiences with the rest (when she connived a way to get my dad fired from the family business for reasons that even neutral outside observers think are pretty fucked up).

Believe it or not, I am very self aware, and I do not react badly to people with those kinds of names. In fact, I was introduced to Susan, a friend's mother recently, and she LOVED me. (I'm afraid to get to know her better because of the pattern, but I was still a sweet little thing while we were anywhere near her.)

For the record, I don't think that people with "Susan" type names are evil, I just think that names very much shape who a person becomes, and the people shaped by Susan seem to usually end up with a problem with this person (shaped by the name "Dionne", in case you are interested). A lot of the women I mentioned were very nice... to almost everyone else... thus the basis for my question.

Clair Dickson
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
This is interesting question-- we do tend to form associations with names. I have an evil Aunt and whenever i see her name, it just reminds me of her (not a positive association-- it was a little hard beta reading this one story where one of the females had the same name.)

I've known so many people of so many names, that they've really lost all association for me. Take for instance, my Hubby's name. The first student I had with his name was hard for me. I kept thinking, "That name's already been taken! By someone better than you!" (Didn't help that the kid was a total slug.) I've now completely detached myself from nearly all first names. Only in context of first and last name do names mean anything to me. Eric is just a name, commonly associated with my brother, but could be anyone. Eric Smith is a local newscaster. Eric M. is a student. Etc.

Also, I think it's human nature to look for patterns. It's part of how the brain works, to organize and figure out how to deal with things in the future. It a little Pavlovian, I'm afraid. And very coincidental. Like a "lucky hat" or something.

So, I don't really have any names anymore. And none that really bother me. (Unless there's a surname, because that's a specific person whom I may or may not wish disembowlment on.)

WildScribe
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Well said, Clair! :)

CoriSCapnSkip
04-20-2009, 09:15 AM
You need to spend half a second with our very own Susie, and all your negative associations with her name will be swept away! :)

If you knew Susie, like I know Susie, oh, oh, oh what a gal....

Seriously, there was a Susan and a Suzanne on The Partridge Family and that show has some of the meanest fans you could wish, though I can't think of any bad ones named Suzie.

I have also NEVER had a good experience with a René(e). There was one in grade school/Jr. High with a real attitude. All the incidents I remember about her were obnoxious, especially when we were required to give out "white elephant gifts," supposedly anonymous, but she guessed or found out I had presented her with a handmade gift and ran me down in the hall saying, "I don't have any use for it," like she expected me to replace it with something better. I refused to take it back. She didn't know the meaning of "white elephant" or "gift."

I had a pen pal, Renee, who kept reminding me her birthday was November 2. (See? After thirty-five years I still remember.) After sending her birthday and Christmas presents, never heard from the little minx again.

I now have an evil next door neighbor René--female with the male spelling. The nicer I have tried to be, the more hostile she becomes. I now avoid anything associated with her at all costs. Someday I'd like to just put my CD player on Repeat and play "Just walk away, René" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

What's weird is she is nice to at least some other people and they like her, but she's a widely enough recognized psycho that I don't have to worry about my perceptions being off at all.

AngelRoseDarke
04-20-2009, 09:41 AM
For me it's the names Ashley and James. I've never known a nice person named Ashley, and both guys I've dated with the name James ended up being psychotic.

fringle
04-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I shudder every time I see a name w/ an inappropriate 'y' or other "unique spelling" or when humans are named after cities, streets or countries.

Smiling Ted
04-20-2009, 06:01 PM
For me, it's Stalin. Every Josef Stalin I've ever known has been a total jerk.

CarolSanDiego
04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
My antagonist is named "Susan" - seems I have picked well! It's funny how certain names will come up in what seems to be patterns - someone above posted that it is human nature to search for patterns, which is absolutely true. For me, I've had bad experiences with several Daves, and I often catch myself coming up with all sorts of preconceived notions when a new Dave comes into my life. And I've had a couple of horrid Veronicas in my life (and the bitchy girl in the Archie comics also happens to be named Veronica).

ChimeraCreative
04-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Amanda, Jim, Kyle... all bad, all the time fer me. >.<

-An

backslashbaby
04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
For a while there, the name Heather seemed to mark a person, and sure enough the movie "Heathers" came out and proved it true ;)

I noticed a kind of bad naming pattern in my life: guys who were the III or more. Hmmm ;) The one named a hideous concoction of names topped off by the 'IV' was when I finally noticed it. Whatever godawful family would make a point of passing that name on for 4 generations apparently also passed along issues on the child-rearing front ;)

Sophia
04-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Veronica and Heather have very negative associations for me, too.

I was thinking that one of the reasons Dave is mentioned often on this thread is because it's a very common name (and the same for Susan). I love the name David, and have known so many Daves that the various associations are all merged into a blur now. :D

Chase
04-20-2009, 11:29 PM
For me, it's Stalin. Every Josef Stalin I've ever known has been a total jerk.

Good one, Ted. Puts the random name-calling into perspective. Pol Pot does the same for me, but what the heck is this doing in an advice-from-experts forum?

Greenify13
04-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Well it makes sense for it to be here, if you want to make a character that people won't like (for whatever reasoning, there are many reasons!) then by using a name that is commonly associated, by many people, with bad character; it would be beneficial.

Chase
04-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Well, as you say, no offense.

LaurieD
04-21-2009, 03:23 AM
For me it's David/Dave. I have an evil Uncle David. My psycho ex-boyfriend is named Dave, and my cousin's horrid ex-husband is David. I know a few others, and one is more or less okay, the rest...shudder. No offense to any Davids here!

I knew a horrible, self-centered, uh... human donkey butt named David, went by Dave.

WildScribe
04-21-2009, 06:06 AM
I knew a horrible, self-centered, uh... human donkey butt named David, went by Dave.

The only David I know closely is kind of scary. He seems like a nice guy, sorta, but also really, really, really creepy. He is obsessive about my sister-in-law to the point where I would call him a stalker if she hadn't agreed to marry her. The sane half of the family is sort of waiting for him to snap.

Lyra Jean
04-21-2009, 07:24 AM

QTF :)

Lyra Jean
04-21-2009, 07:31 AM
The name Matt has some bad mojo with me along with Dena and *Katherine.

*except for Katherine Hepburn.

selkn.asrai
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
For me, every Michael and Chris(topher): utter *expletives*.

lm728
04-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Hannah, Gabby (Gabriella), Daniela. As well as a few A-names.
These girls were the posers, who lived in apartment buildings/trailers/townhouses, yet flashed off their bebe shirts and size 0 abercrombie jeans every day at school.
While the wealthier girls (Summer, Seneca, Mackenzie, etc.) (I know one that has the biggest house in the most-reputable neighborhood) showed up at school with Gap tank tops and Macy's skirts.
Funny enough, the Hannahs and the Gabby's were mean, sometimes pretty, sometimes not, were hailed as sluts (and "easy"), and got bad grades.
I guess life is fair that way. :)

Matera the Mad
04-22-2009, 04:32 AM
In a flood of chocolate! YESH! :roll:

Any name I have a bad association with, I can think of a good one too.

Manuel Royal
01-13-2010, 09:55 PM
It's pretty common for female names in the English-speaking world to begin with S. I'd say it's not that weird a coincidence.

(And note that, in a world of six billion people where lots of things happen all the time, it's inevitable that very unlikely things will happen.)

So, next time you meet a woman named Sheila or Sylvie, try not to let negative expectations affect your interaction with her. Good luck; once you get one of these things in your head it's hard to let go of.

johnnysannie
01-13-2010, 10:14 PM
For me it's the names Ashley and James. I've never known a nice person named Ashley, and both guys I've dated with the name James ended up being psychotic.

But I have two nieces named Ashley and they are both nice!!!!! ;)

Canotila
01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
I worked in public schools. When it came time to name our daughter we had a VERY hard time finding name that didn't already have strong negative associations with it.

Monkey
01-14-2010, 01:45 AM
I noticed a kind of bad naming pattern in my life: guys who were the III or more. Hmmm ;) The one named a hideous concoction of names topped off by the 'IV' was when I finally noticed it. Whatever godawful family would make a point of passing that name on for 4 generations apparently also passed along issues on the child-rearing front ;)

I'd watch for pretentiousness out of anyone tagged "the third" or more.

According to the very nearly infalliable Miss Manners, when "senior" dies, "junior" drops his II. If there was a III, he gets to be II now, and so on--the exception being royalty, who get to keep whatever numbers they're given.

Was "the fourth" royalty? Or, alternatively, are I, II, and III still alive? If not, why the hell is he still making an effort to distinguish himself from the others in his line? Were they so well-known that we might see the name and think of the wrong guy?

Bah. I think three badly matched first names followed by "the fourth" would be a great name for a half-wit villian. :D

backslashbaby
01-14-2010, 01:59 AM
I'd watch for pretentiousness out of anyone tagged "the third" or more.

According to the very nearly infalliable Miss Manners, when "senior" dies, "junior" drops his II. If there was a III, he gets to be II now, and so on--the exception being royalty, who get to keep whatever numbers they're given.

Was "the fourth" royalty? Or, alternatively, are I, II, and III still alive? If not, why the hell is he still making an effort to distinguish himself from the others in his line? Were they so well-known that we might see the name and think of the wrong guy?

Bah. I think three badly matched first names followed by "the fourth" would be a great name for a half-wit villian. :D

:D One of the names was Julius -- not bad in itself, but you see where it's going.

Let's see, the grandfather (II - well, Jr.), the father (III) and the son (IV) are all alive. Eventually you did have to know the number to distinguish them -- I nearly walked into my Ex's medical office instead of his dad's the other year. He didn't put the 'IV' on his door ;)

~*Kate*~
01-14-2010, 02:58 AM
I worked in public schools. When it came time to name our daughter we had a VERY hard time finding name that didn't already have strong negative associations with it.

Same here-- we had to take "Luke" off the baby name list after a few years of teaching.

charlotte49ers
01-14-2010, 03:00 AM
Awh, man! I'm Amanda and I'm nice. :-P

Ashton, Sara (spelled that way, my sister spells it with an 'h' and I love her)...I thought I would have more, but that's really it. And I'm a teacher! You'd think I'd have a slew of them.

SilverBirch
01-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Every Joyce I've known IRL has been sour, bitter, and anything but joyful (and sadly this includes my grandmother).

Every Robert I've known has had some sort of major problem with normal social interactions - especially coworkers named Robert (I'll run for the hills if I have to work with another Robert!). I got along great with my cousin Robert when we were kids, but as adults he seems to have joined the "unhealthy social interactions" club.

The Geoffs and Jeffreys I've known have been completely fun and laid-back, though sometimes slightly less than reliable.

99% of the boys I liked as a teenager turned out to be named David, Brian or Ryan (and for the record, the first spark of interest occurred before I knew their names).

Just about every girl I went to high school with was named Jessica or Jennifer, and I disliked most of them - but I have met enough nice Jesses and Jenns since then to have improved my opinion of those names.

Gretad08
01-14-2010, 07:16 AM

But, but, but I'm Ashley and I'm quite a nice girl...and my Dad's name was Jim (James) and EVERYONE loved him.

There, now you can like those names again :)

RobinGBrown
01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
http://www.skepdic.com/magicalthinking.html

StephanieFox
01-15-2010, 05:02 AM
Evil name: Karen

Something odd: When people get my name wrong, they usually call me Jennifer. I'm Stephanie.

I once worked scoring written standardized state tests so kids could get out of high school. We did South Carolina and there were so many really weird names, I stopped bothering writing them down. Two, though, stuck with me years later: Latrina and Vagina.

Can you imagine those poor girls and what they went through if they applied for a job or a passport?

Also:
This is the best name website EVER!
http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

CEtchison
01-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Every Robert I've known has had some sort of major problem with normal social interactions - especially coworkers named Robert (I'll run for the hills if I have to work with another Robert!). I got along great with my cousin Robert when we were kids, but as adults he seems to have joined the "unhealthy social interactions" club.

Ha ha!!! My husband's name is Robert, although everyone in my family refuses to call him that. It all stems from an adopted cousin by the same name who has spent the last twenty years in and out of various penal facilities. So everyone calls my husband by the nickname given to him during college, which is Vegas.

My bad name associations: Vickie, Vicki, Victoria... and Mark. *shivers*

eyeblink
01-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't have any bad name associations - for every one person I disliked there's been someone with the same first name I get on fine with. I'm careful to avoid using the names of close family as characters, or names that are unusual enough that I've only met one person with them, as that wouldn't be "accidental" and things could be read into it, but that's a different matter. (In Partings and Greetings, I have named two human characters after my brother's family's dogs, though. Sophie and Jake, in case you were wondering.:))

There are some names in society that aren't given to children due to negative associations with a particular person. For example, I'm willing to bet there are very few girls/women in the UK born after 1966 called Myra, due to the late child murderer Ms Hindley.

Elizabeth Holloway
01-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd have to say Steve(n) because I have a creepy uncle Steve and Kelly, Kelli, Kelley, Kellie. I've not met one Kelly who didn't have issues.

As for strange names, I work in Labor and Delivery and I have heard some crazy ones. To name a few:

Nevaeh (heaven spelled backward, which I don't get at all. Wouldn't that be like naming your kid 'Hell'? This name is VERY common)
Katherine Katie Chuqui-Chuqui
Princess Beautiful (first and middle name)
Startlet and Sparkle (twins)
Shithead pronounced Shi-thade (I kid you not!)

Ok enough off topic...sorry, couldn't resist.

JimmyB27
01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
On the flip side of the coin, I've never known a Rachel or an Emily who wasn't utterly hot.

C. C.
01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
I've had bad experiences with 2 'Heather's...one was my best frenemy for years, another was a scheming coworker.

WildScribe
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
On the flip side of the coin, I've never known a Rachel or an Emily who wasn't utterly hot.

Oh my God, so true!

Someone up there mentioned Kelly... my totally evil ex manager was named Kelly. This woman followed me to my new job, literally walked in the building, to tell my new bosses how evil and disturbed I am. They laughed her out of the building, and I called HER bosses and got her fired for libel. Crazy woman!

backslashbaby
01-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Oh my God, so true!

Someone up there mentioned Kelly... my totally evil ex manager was named Kelly. This woman followed me to my new job, literally walked in the building, to tell my new bosses how evil and disturbed I am. They laughed her out of the building, and I called HER bosses and got her fired for libel. Crazy woman!

I wonder if we know the same Kelly. Mine came to the restaurant where I worked and tried to yell at me while I was at tables! I was suing her.

I won the suit, btw.

Melisande
01-16-2010, 05:20 AM
Female names; (Swedish) Annika and Anette
Male names; Daniel and Anders

OMG!

Sofar I have NEVER met a person with one of these names that come even close to having been nice.

WildScribe
01-16-2010, 06:17 AM
I wonder if we know the same Kelly. Mine came to the restaurant where I worked and tried to yell at me while I was at tables! I was suing her.

I won the suit, btw.

Holy CRAP. I was a waitress when all this was going on. She was a manager at Denny's, and was not happy when I left since I was the only one who knew what the hell I was supposed to be doing. She came to the restaurant I got hired at to bad mouth me.

If you weren't in NC I would be scared right now.

DavidZahir
01-16-2010, 08:04 AM
My best friend is named Suzanne.

We will be taking our vengeance.

Canotila
01-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Female names; (Swedish) Annika and Anette
Male names; Daniel and Anders

OMG!

Sofar I have NEVER met a person with one of these names that come even close to having been nice.

One of the few former students of mine that didn't taint her name was an Annika. I also have a brother and a brother in law who are both named Daniel. They're nice too, but for some reason both of them are really money hungry. The advice my BIL wrote on a card that got passed around our wedding reception was:

"Get rich or die trying"

Davids I have had mostly good luck with. Most of them were supremely good people who had some sort of fabulous gift. Renaissance men. The one HUGE exception was my psycho rapist stalker ex. *shudders* He's the only bad one I know, and I know a lot of Daves.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm with the Susan haters. I've had two complete BITCH bosses named Susan. So if I take a job now, and am introduced to my manager named Susan, I am extremely leery and paranoid.

I also cannot date men named Mike anymore (I mean, if I weren't married, that is). Two complete destructions of my psyche in one lifetime were quite enough, thank you very much.