PDA

View Full Version : Satire of corruption

pete333
04-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Has anyone here ever done short or long criticism of "the powers that be" or whatever in satire or other similar form?

blacbird
04-18-2009, 11:10 PM
As part of a novel, yes, but not as the central theme. Of course, it's an honored tradition in literature:

Gulliver's Travels "A Modest Proposal", Jonathan Swift
Les Miserables, The Man Who Laughs, Victor Hugo
Threepenny Opera, Threepenny Novel, Bertolt Brecht
Almost the entire canon of Charles Dickens
Penguin Island, Anatole France
Animal Farm, George Orwell
Main Street, Babbitt, Sinclair Lewis
The Day of the Locust, Nathanael West
The Good Soldier Svejk, Jaroslav Hasek
Catch-22, Something Happened, Picture This, Joseph Heller

And, of course, there are literary ways of examining corruption that don't involve satire. Joseph Conrad's great novel Nostromo and Alexandre Dumas' masterpiece The Count of Monte Cristo draw on the theme in more dramatic ways. Also All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren.

So, beyond this observation, what are you really asking about?

caw

backslashbaby
04-18-2009, 11:39 PM
I am now in my WIP. Not just corruption, but definitely. Whatcha need? Hard, isn't it?!

Great works posted by blacbird!*

I just finished X out of Wonderland. Not bad, but not particularly good, imho. I'm a Catch 22 or Swift girl at heart.

* there are no exclamation points in my prose ;)

blacbird
04-19-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm a Catch 22 or Swift girl at heart.

How swift?

caw

pete333
04-19-2009, 05:22 AM
As part of a novel, yes, but not as the central theme. Of course, it's an honored tradition in literature:

Gulliver's Travels "A Modest Proposal", Jonathan Swift
Les Miserables, The Man Who Laughs, Victor Hugo
Threepenny Opera, Threepenny Novel, Bertolt Brecht
Almost the entire canon of Charles Dickens
Penguin Island, Anatole France
Animal Farm, George Orwell
Main Street, Babbitt, Sinclair Lewis
The Day of the Locust, Nathanael West
The Good Soldier Svejk, Jaroslav Hasek
Catch-22, Something Happened, Picture This, Joseph Heller

And, of course, there are literary ways of examining corruption that don't involve satire. Joseph Conrad's great novel Nostromo and Alexandre Dumas' masterpiece The Count of Monte Cristo draw on the theme in more dramatic ways. Also All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren.

So, beyond this observation, what are you really asking about?

caw

I guess I meant was anyone doing anything in that way that they were willing to discuss, on this forum.

Wayne K
04-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Has anyone here ever done short or long criticism of "the powers that be" or whatever in satire or other similar form?

I think that's been made illegal here in the states.

blacbird
04-19-2009, 07:10 AM
I guess I meant was anyone doing anything in that way that they were willing to discuss, on this forum.

But I still don't quite know what you want to know, other than "did you satirize corruption?" Do you want details on the story, advice, what?

caw

pete333
04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
But I still don't quite know what you want to know, other than "did you satirize corruption?" Do you want details on the story, advice, what?

caw

I guess I wanted to read it and put the players in their places. I would only do something short of this type, if at all. I guess I am just curious after having read some of the famous ones you mentioned...year ago.

Thanks, and sorry if what I ask still doesn't make sense.