Enna

back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelleschusterman.com
I just wanted to share this article listing 10 Beginner Writer Mistakes:
http://www.holtuncensored.com/hu/the-ten-mistakes/

Most of it, of course, has been mentioned on AW countless times. But I learned a few things.

For one, I've heard of "Tom Swifties" before, but didn't know what it meant. "I won first prize!" he said winningly- hilarious.

I liked this part too:

FLAT WRITING
“He wanted to know but couldn’t understand what she had to say, so he waited until she was ready to tell him before asking what she meant.”

Something is conveyed in this sentence, but who cares?
I just thought that was funny.

My favorite part was about the adverbs. I try to seek and destroy adverbs in my writing, and nine times out of ten I find a better, more "showy" way to write the sentence without the adverb. But I do leave some in because I honestly feel it's the best way to word that sentence, and then I stress about them.

But this article points out that not all adverbs are created equal:

EMPTY ADVERBS

Actually, totally, absolutely, completely, continually, constantly, continuously, literally, really, unfortunately, ironically, incredibly, hopefully, finally - these and others are words that promise emphasis, but too often they do the reverse. They suck the meaning out of every sentence.
He gives several examples from published novels that use these adverbs, and shows how much better the phrase would be without them. Made me feel much better.

Anyway, just wanted to share!

(Also....100th post! :partyguy:)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is my favorite line from the whole article (the whole thing contains solid advice):

"Set a higher standard for yourself even if readers won’t notice."

Live it.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
Here is my favorite line from the whole article (the whole thing contains solid advice):

"Set a higher standard for yourself even if readers won’t notice."

Live it.

Warning: This mindset CAN and WILL backfire if you're not careful.

No offense, NeuroFizz, but I know of what I speak on this one.

Why else do you think my novel Gabriel is forever in Rewrite Limbo?

Because I have to "compete" with the best of the best that gets published. That sounds easy on paper, but NOT in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.