When you quote people in your writings....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Just curious...

When you quote people, and you've gotten the quote from another source, like their blog, one of their books, or another article, etc., do you generally let that person know you've quoted them?

I know you don't have to, fair use, yadda yadda yadda, but is there a tradition? ... An industry standard?

I ask because a friend just bought this book, and he let me know I'm quoted on the second page. My name is in the index and everything.

I think it's pretty cool, but it got me wondering about this subject. I don't write non-fiction so much, so it's not something I've dealt with. The quote is such a minor, throwaway thing that could've easily been snipped out, but I think I'd still like to know when my name appears somewhere in a book that's currently number 30 on Amazon's bestseller list.

For the record, the quote as printed in the book is:

a local science fiction author named <me> was later moved to remark: "If you drove by the place today, you'd think Jesus himself was working the shake machine."

What I actually wrote was:

But if you actually drove by the place today, you'd think either Jesus himself was working the shake machine or the girl in the drive-thru window was topless and handing out free twenties and handjobs to everyone who came by.

Personally, I like the full quote better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.