Is your job something that a character in a bad Chuck Palahniuk novel would have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister_lister

Banned
Reaction score
MINE IS.... I am one of the few remaining technical support reps positions left in the United States. Been doing it since 1995. I could write a book about the aspects of the job that drive me toward the edge of insanity. I think I will ...

Tell me about your job, specifically the stuff that drives you crazy?

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a secretary/receptionist. (Not padding it - I'm the receptionist but I'm also the facility manager's secretary.) Up until this position I've always worked in places that were either far enough off the proverbial beaten path that I never saw anyone but the other employees or so big and sequestered (IBM) that I never saw anyone who wasn't supposed to be there. At my current job, we're right on one of the main streets and very accessible to the public. Which I'm still getting used to. It's a computer consulting company, but I've had people come in looking for everything from their proctologist to the AIDS clinic to Planned Parenthood to the Army Recruiting Center to wanting to vote. We had quite a few of those on election day. Not that it was any easier when I was the main lobby receptionist at one of the IBM plants years ago. We once had a visitor come in looking for a certain group who were over in another building. I gave him directions, sent him on his way. Five minutes later he was back, complaining I'd "steered him wrong." That's when it got interesting...
Me: "Do you have a name of someone you're looking for?"
Him: "Yeah."
(Gives me name; I look it up in the employee directory online.)
Me: "He's in Southbury."
Him: "Yes, I know, but you sent me to the wrong building."
Me: "Wait - he's not here. He's in Southbury."
Him: "That's what I - hold it. This IS Connecticut, right?"
Me: "No sir, it's New York."
Him: "Are you sure?"
As it happened, that particular site was located at Exit 15 off the interstate in New York. The site he wanted was also off Exit 15 - in Connecticut. Took me a few minutes to convince him that no, he wasn't on Candid Camera and nope, he wasn't in Connecticut, either...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I work M, T, W, and F. Thursday is my day off. I am never in on Thursday. This Thursday my office got me a birthday cake 32 days after my birthday, even though I wasn't at work. They saved me a piece in the fridge. I did not eat it.

I don't know whether to chalk it up to apathy, incompetence, or the fact that my boss actively despises me. Or possibly a delightful combination of all three.

Then there's the fact that everyone at the office but me is totally fine with doing ethically dodgy things. I won't go into details, but i feel like i have to hold back the tide of sketchy business practices all on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.