New and In Need of Info

poisonedprncess

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Claire and I'm very new to this website. I'm 26 and I've always enjoyed reading and writing. Unfortunately, everything I've tried to write at any great length has ended up shredded and in the trash, because I convince myself that it's horrible. I am currently pushing myself to try harder and I feel that I'm actually going somewhere this time. At the moment, I need a little help. I posted on the Newbie board and someone instructed me to post my questions here in a new thread for a little more advice. So, here goes:

1) Does anyone know a good website for asking questions of detectives on procedure on homicides that occur in homes?

2) Is there anyone here who might have some of that information I referred to?

3) I was wondering about titles. I don't think I should choose a title until that story is through or at least halfway done. Any opinions on that?

4) Do most of you know where your story is going to end before you start writing? I know the beginning and the way the murder was committed, but not the ending.

Well, I guess that's it for now. Any feedback would be very much appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!!!
Claire

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
OK, general note.

NEVER trash what you did.

It's a DRAFT!

What you are writing is not the finished book. It's a draft. A version.

It's a cliché but true. Writing is rewriting.

1) Does anyone know a good website for asking questions of detectives on procedure on homicides that occur in homes?

I am sure I have seen a couple of books that give info. However, call the cops. Not 911, obviously. But if you contact the cops and explain the situation, they will have some kinda public relations department that can help you out.

3) I was wondering about titles. I don't think I should choose a title until that story is through or at least halfway done. Any opinions on that?

Forget it. If you have one, go for it. Stick it on there, but don't get hung up on the title. You could well have the perfect one and sell the book and the publisher loves everything about it, but wants to change the title to....

It's just a distraction at the moment. Butt in seat, hands at keyboard aaaaaand.... WRITE!

4) Do most of you know where your story is going to end before you start writing? I know the beginning and the way the murder was committed, but not the ending.

Some plan and map every detail out. Some know where they are going but not how they are gonna get there. Some just start and transcribe the story that is playing in their heads. Find what works for you and do it.

But remember, for now, you are a writer. Just write. When you are done with this DRAFT, this VERSION, you put it aside, feel smug, relax. Then take it out again and start over from page one editing and making it better.

Oh....

....and welcome. :D

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I don't write mystery, but I'm sure there are plenty of threads in the mystery section that will answer your questions.

Have fun

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Claire! :)

Can't help you with the first two questions I'm afraid, other than to say that we have people on here from all walks of life and there's no doubt someone who can help. As for the other two questions...

Personally, I feel that while titles are important, they are not in the slightest bit important until you've finished writing. My novel didn't have a title until I was about 5k from the end of the first draft, and I'll probably change it yet. :D

As for endings, I have no CLUE where my books are going to end up! I prefer to just start writing and see where my characters take me. :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Claire! I do write mysteries and I work in the Criminal Justice Field myself. Here is a great site full of links for Crime and Mystery Writers.

Titles? At some point they usually just pop into my head. Don't worry about that at this stage.

For me personally, I always know how a story is going to end. I actually start there and work backwards. A mystery is all about solving the problem. I've only written one mystery where I didn't know the ending from the start and it gave me fits. Never again!

But there is no perfect way to do it. You have to experiment and do what works for you.

SuperSpy

I wish I was a Weeble
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Claire and welcome to AW!

I can't help you much with the first two, but it looks like some other posters already have. :)

I can however, share my view of titles and endings.

Personally, I always have a title. They just pop into my head, and I like having a name for something and getting a feel for it. However, not everyone comes up with titles easily, and occasionally my titles change, so I think it's not so much about making up a title, but just writing it down when it comes to you.

As for knowing the ending, I'm a major outliner, which is ironic considering I hated outlines when I was younger. I now write detailed (including certain quotes and small snippets of important scenes) six page outlines for my stories, as it helps me set the pacing for chapters and the subplots, and helps me balance everything and make sure that clues show up when they should. I always know my endings. I usually write them shortly after I write the opening chapter.

However, this is just me. Every writer is different, and the most important thing is figuring out what works for you. So good luck! :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:!
My name is Claire and I'm very new to this website. I'm 26 and I've always enjoyed reading and writing. Unfortunately, everything I've tried to write at any great length has ended up shredded and in the trash, because I convince myself that it's horrible. I am currently pushing myself to try harder and I feel that I'm actually going somewhere this time. At the moment, I need a little help. I posted on the Newbie board and someone instructed me to post my questions here in a new thread for a little more advice. So, here goes:

You know what, there's even a convention for that stuff:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136709
I've read how a publisher is liable to change a title anyway, so apparently it doesn't much matter. Don't get married to any title you select.
This appears to be one of those big questions of those who write novels. In the little thing for your profile there's something like "Outline" vs. "wing it" or whatever, and different things work for different people. Me, I still need some massive BIC time (as opposed to posting and surfing time) to see what works for me...

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of good advice so far, especially to save those drafts and write, write, write.

Websites are definitely better than TV cop shows for police procedures, but when details bog you down, there are real-life cops hanging out in AW's "Genre Specific" forum at "Mystery/Thriller/Suspense." Ask, and thou shalt receive.

A short working title may do until a better one emerges.

Lots of writers craft great detective books the way you describe, though mysteries usually require some careful plotting. Others create detailed outlines. I'd say start with the idea you have and write-write-write while you build methods and materials. So you may have to re-write the beginning? It's called "polishing."

Welcome.