PDA

View Full Version : writing contests

free_cashews_on_me
04-17-2009, 11:21 PM
I have been searching for some decent YA Fantasy novel writing contests lately and I have just not been able to get anything. When i finish my novel I plan to submit it to publishers and if that doesn't work then I will find some contests out there. I just want to be prepared with one or two so I don't get crammed on time with the submission dates. Does anybody know of some good ones?

free_cashews_on_me
04-18-2009, 06:29 AM
wow no comments is that a 1st? thank you to the 16 people who took the time to look at this! :D

Momento Mori
04-18-2009, 03:14 PM
luvs2write44:
I have been searching for some decent YA Fantasy novel writing contests lately and I have just not been able to get anything.

Why? Winning a YA fantasy novel contest is meaningless unless it comes with a publishing contract and there aren't that many contests that are either run by publishers or which can offer publication with a publisher actually worth publishing with.

Off the top of my head I can only think of 3 contests that perhaps might be worth entering:

1. The Sunday Times Children's Writing Competition. This has been run for the last couple of years in about October. First prize is a publishing contract with Chicken House (a big UK publisher). It's a well respected competition but I don't know if it's open to entrants from outside the UK.

2. The Delacorte Press Contest. There's a separate thread about that here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50727).

3. The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest. There's a separate thread about that here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121644).

If you're absolutely set on entering a competition, then make sure you research it properly. The people behind it should have demonstrable industry experience, the publishing prize should be with a publisher capable of getting books stocked in stores, the judges should be people you've either heard of or who have a proven track record with reputable companies in the publishing industry and the entrance fee should not be exhorbitant.

luvs2write44:
When i finish my novel I plan to submit it to publishers and if that doesn't work then I will find some contests out there

You'd be better off working on writing a good query letter and submitting to agents instead. The best way of getting published is to find a good agent capable of selling your book. If that doesn't work, then there are a few children's commercial publishing houses that will accept unsolicited manuscripts but not many. If after going through all that you still haven't got published, then you need to work on your next book.

In any event you are a long way from having to worry about this just yet because you haven't finished your book. Once you've done that and polished it to a state where it's worth submitting it, then you can start to worry about querying et al. Don't put the cart before the horse (to use the oft-worn cliche).

luvs2write44:
wow no comments is that a 1st? thank you to the 16 people who took the time to look at

Patience, grasshopper. Not everyone's got the time to give advice.

MM

Danthia
04-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Sorry, no contests come to mind, but I agree with Memento Mori about submitting to agents instead. (Actually I agree with everything said above) Entering and winning a contest takes time, and for my money, that time is better spent putting your book in the hands of people who can sell it for you. Getting an agent isn't easy, but I feel it's well worth the effort.

Of course, if you want to enter contests for the enjoyment or challenge of it, then by all means feel free. You could try the SCBWI site, which might have some additional contests listed. Or SFWA. I'm thinking there may even be a contest page on Prediters&Editors.

HJW
04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
1. The Sunday Times Children's Writing Competition. This has been run for the last couple of years in about October. First prize is a publishing contract with Chicken House (a big UK publisher). It's a well respected competition but I don't know if it's open to entrants from outside the UK.

MM

I'd recommend this one. Barry Cunningham (who selects the shortlist for the judges’ consideration) is very influential. So even if you don't win, getting shortlisted could really help open doors. Plus you can still submit to agents whilst you're waiting for results etc.

I'm pretty sure it's open to writers outside the UK.

jmascia
04-24-2009, 01:48 AM
I've never even heard of the Amazon contest. Thanks Momento.