This ever happen to you?

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I am always very careful with my words when speaking to children, because there are certain things that I believe stay with them their whole lives.

When I was small, I used to spend a lot of time at the house of the little girls next door. Their father, if I recall, was a musician who worked from a sound studio in the basement, but he may have also been a teacher. And I noticed that he was always very cold and rude to his daughters. He would say to them, "You don't understand because you're little, and your brain is the size of a little peanut that will grow when you do."

One day, he was talking about a body that had been found in a river. I asked if it was dead, and he said "When it's a body, it's implied that it's dead, but I don't expect you to know that because (insert brain-is-a-peanut remark)." I was probably five or six but even then I knew he was just trying to make me feel stupid.

In adult life I've encountered people who have that same pretentious, assuming air, and I always associate them with him. It's exhausting to combat them and there's no winning. I will always fail if I try. It's a personality type, from what I can see, not a case of which party is more educated. I know plenty of educated people who don't carry on that way.

Yesterday, I met a girl on another forum and we got to talking about literature. After calling my genre pretentious, she offered to read my MS and critique it and all but shoved her unfinished MS at me. I tried to tactfully decline because a) if you think my genre is pretentious, I don't want to hear what you have to say about my writing, and b), I've had three editors from major publishing houses give me revision notes, so whose opinion does this girl think I'm gonna follow? And I declined reading her MS by politely saying I wouldn't be of much use since it didn't sound like a genre that I read. She countered by saying it was a genre that would appeal to all readers. How that's even possible is beyond me. I tried to suggest AW for a beta reader, and she said she's visited this site and found it stuffy and rigid. Yet she called the forum on which I met her too chaotic and full of idiots.

Well, I have this inability to say no, so I said I'd try to read her MS, but I don't want to and doubt I will... Something tells me she'd disregard my opinion anyway.

Finally, after an hour of this, I said I wasn't feeling well (I really do have the flu) and had to go to bed. She told me that vitamin C causes liver damage (I know at least one AWer whose boyfriend would have a field day with that) and that NyQuil (my love) is no good now that they've changed the formula. All this in the last minute of our conversation.

Gah! When people get like this, all I ever hear is "blah blah blah, you have a peanut brain."

This ever happen to you?

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Nope. It's just you. We put up signs in bulletin board restrooms all over the internet with your picture on it. "To give somebody a hard time call...."
:)

Life's too short for idjits, you know?

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I used to get this all the time with people when I was younger. If I was telling a story, often family and friends would go to pains to point everything that was wrong with me. Recently my sister engaged me in an argument about a national newspaper which I feel is a rag. She argued with me that of course it wasn't, that my opinions on it were basically stupid and a lot of professional people read it so it can't be bad. She absolutely could not accept my view on it despite the fact it was a subject I take an avid interest in. I am currently applying for a Master's degree in journalism; she doesn't even read newspapers.

I had so many family members tell me that I was a know it all as a child (I can honestly swear that I wasn't, I just liked to read and took a lot of interest in certain subjects) that even when I know that I am right in an argument, I will often retreat rather than have someone make me feel as worthless as they did.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Unfortunately, yes.

It's not education, it's just a feeling of superiority that some people have. I figure it's a mask so that no one can see what they're really like. (Especially for fear that they are worse than those they are denigrating.)

I got it a lot when I was working in retail. People would treat me like an idiot-- especially if I had to ask "What's that used for" or something because I wasn't familiar with the object they were looking to find in the store. And while spoke nastily to me, all I could think was, "I'm college educated, with 156 credit hours and a 3.5+ GPA. Yeah, stupid retail clerk." Of course I never said anything.

Nowadays, when I encounter these people, I usually tune out. I've got a couple people in my family where I just smile and nod, pretend I'm listening while I work out plot problems. Then, I make my retreat. There's a reason I don't talk to many people...

Don't take it personally, tomo. They don't care about who you are as a person, only about whatever they're saying and whatever psychological salve they get from speaking in the manner they do. =)

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I got it a lot when I was working in retail. People would treat me like an idiot-- especially if I had to ask "What's that used for" or something because I wasn't familiar with the object they were looking to find in the store. And while spoke nastily to me, all I could think was, "I'm college educated, with 156 credit hours and a 3.5+ GPA. Yeah, stupid retail clerk." Of course I never said anything.

This similarly used to infuriate me. Someone would be patronising me in the supermarket I work in and I'd think, hey I have a bachelor's degree- why in the hell are they talking down to me? Now, I've decided I don't really care. Their attitude has far more to do with them than it has to do with me. If they haven't the intelligence to grasp courtesy, why would I worry if they're judging me?

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Clair, I got a lot of that when I worked retail as well. My cousin is an elementary school teacher and says that a lot of people associate one's intelligence with one's work. For instance someone who is a college professor could be assumed to be smarter than a fifth grade teacher or a cashier at walmart for that matter. But fifth grade teachers have obviously completed a high education to be where they are, and for all you know your cashier is trying to pay his way through law school.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
My father had that attitude, and he only got worse as he got older. He always has to be right. Always. Even if it meant destroying a friendship or losing a valuable work ally. The only person he didn't try to pull his attitude on was my mom - I think he was always afraid that she'd walk out if he pushed her too far. She probably would have. Other people, including me, he was only nice and/or respectful to when he wanted something. Otherwise, watch out...

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Clair, I got a lot of that when I worked retail as well. My cousin is an elementary school teacher and says that a lot of people associate one's intelligence with one's work. For instance someone who is a college professor could be assumed to be smarter than a fifth grade teacher or a cashier at walmart for that matter. But fifth grade teachers have obviously completed a high education to be where they are, and for all you know your cashier is trying to pay his way through law school.

In this part of the country, elementary school teachers have at least a bachelors and heaps have masters degrees. But you never know about the cashier. My friend worked with a guy at a medical supply company. The guy did nothing but answer phones and put in some orders. That was his job. He had a PhD in Biochemistry I believe (I'm positive about the PhD, I just can't recall exactly what branch of science).

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
My husband's friend's wife ...
is always pointing out what you should be doing.
You should do this to your face
you should take this kind of pill
you should buy these types of clothes
you should shop here and not there
everything you do is wrong.
You get to a point where you feel you're defending your right to live because everything YOU do is inadequate compared to the other person's.
I nod politely, continue to nod, yes, right you are, of course it's a nice store, wonderful blouse you're wearing ....
The thing is to keep people like this at arm's length - maybe triple, quadruple arm's length.
They're toxic.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
There's nothing you can do about people like this.

My father's entire family is like that and they thrive on it. And they're Irish catholics, so there's a lot of them! When we had family reunions as a kid the adults would sit around and talk and my cousins and I would take bets on when the fights were going to start. Then the next day they would all call each other to say how wonderful the reunion was and how much they enjoy a good Reid argument!

I think some people are just trying to compensate for their own insecurity.
Some people just like to provoke an argument.
And some people are just dicks.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing you can do about people like this.

<snip>

I think some people are just trying to compensate for their own insecurity.
Some people just like to provoke an argument.
And some people are just dicks.

QFT

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The dictionary and the thesaurus are my best friends. I polite asshats like that to death. They think I'm charming when I'm telling them they're boorish and uncouth. Works for me. Especially since I'm half smiling when I say it. The big smiles make them think I take their opinions seriously. Heh.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
They think boorish and uncouth are compliments? Do you talk to these people at Walmart or something?

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Tomo, you are under no obligation to be the doormat of the universe! Just because some stranger wants to wipe her feet on somebody, doesn't mean you have to lay down, okay? You can be polite, but do you actually like feeling the way she wants you to feel?

I had several family members (now ex-family, related only to my Ex) who said I was the kind of person they loved to give a hard time (because I was an easy mark, I presume.). It was their way of telling me they were bullies, liked being bullies and wanted to find an excuse for giving me a hard time (as if I asked for it or it was my fault for letting them) Well, guess what? It was my fault. I had never said "No." The minute I stood up and walked away, they stopped picking on me. I do call it abuse, because the point of it was always to make me feel like an idiot. They are toxic, as Mela said.

Step away.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Ugh. I have an aunt that sounds like Manix's ex in-laws. She almost destroyed my relationship with my boyfriend (now husband) because she likes to pick on me and make up anything to get a reaction out of me. My husband took her seriously and we nearly split up.

I still have to see her for family events but I do my best to smile, say the appropriate pleasantries, then move on. I used to worry about being rude because she's my aunt, but I don't anymore.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the reason you can't understand why people are the way they are (and are largely powerless to contend with it) is because your brain is the size of a peanut.

as you grow older, your peanut brain will grow (perhaps, if you're lucky, to the size of a shriveled almond) and at that time, it will start to make sense.

of course, this will happen just at the time that your liver fails from bombarding your system with vitamin c and you will then die, never fully comprehending the complexities of human cruelty until.

god wanted it this way.

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
the reason you can't understand why people are the way they are (and are largely powerless to contend with it) is because your brain is the size of a peanut.

as you grow older, your peanut brain will grow (perhaps, if you're lucky, to the size of a shriveled almond) and at that time, it will start to make sense.

of course, this will happen just at the time that your liver fails from bombarding your system with vitamin c and you will then die, never fully comprehending the complexities of human cruelty until.

god wanted it this way.

Heh, this reminds me of Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking...your brain may be in there, but so is the rest of the universe:D

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They think boorish and uncouth are compliments? Do you talk to these people at Walmart or something?

Not Walmart but close enough. I used to work in retail - customer service, returns, et.al. I had fun working with the public, believe it or not. Customers always found me charming - even the nutters. It pays to have a big vocabulary. You can get away with a lot when you're smiling through your teeth. The main point to remember is - it's not about you. Asshats are asshats the world 'round.