Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Whoa, I played that game today for the first time and was pleased. Scary as hell! I kept jumping and screaming instead of actually shooting those damn things. I suck at these games, but always enjoy myself.

Anyone else played this game?

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
Yes.

Overall, I thought it was okay. the slicing limbs off seemed, to me at least, to be there solely to make it more difficult for players to take down the space zombies.

And, i thought the love story was kinda clumsy. well, not kinda. it was clumsy. I got no sense of how they were connected- in fact, the only reason I knew Isaac was supposed to care about her is because someone told me.

But, the look was tops. good use of scares. the zero g sections were nice.

If you like the horror games, it's a good one to pick up.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Meh.

System Shock 2 is five times scarier, and its bad guys look like this:

system-shock-2-03.jpg

Never finished Dead Space...worth a rental, but not buying.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
What was most significant about Dead Space was the way it told the story, which is I think similar to the way Bioshock and Fallout 3 told theirs. Interesting that these writers hark back to the disembodied voices of 1920-50s culture, where voices on the radio were literally spirits floating in the air. A metaphor turned reality, hauntingly. Nice work, I think.

Of course, none of these games were as impressive, to me, as Call of Cthulhu...

AMC

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth? That was a *fine* game, very very scary, very hard.

Also, the reason Dead Space's storytelling is similar too and far far worse than Bioshock and System Shock's is cause the makers of Dead Space ripped both games off more often than they rip off limbs.

And Fallout 3...is...just completely different from either of the mentioned games...so I'm kinda mystified as to why we'd bring it up at all...

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth? That was a *fine* game, very very scary, very hard.

I sorta have the notion that the creepiness of the game and its difficulty are intertwined. It's a bit hard in the first place, which increases the risk of bloody or maddening failure; on the other hand, that it's creepy can be distracting-- almost like a trick of hypnosis. I call that good technique.

And Fallout 3...is...just completely different from either of the mentioned games...so I'm kinda mystified as to why we'd bring it up at all...

There is the option of playing directly through the main storyline, iirc. And a smattering of side stories. In that regard, at least, we can compare them. Their use of radio, recordings, and other form of gramophone-ish devices to narrate the story, for example (homage to Eliot's Waste Land-- ghosts channeled through machines, connecting our characters and us the players to history from variously-unfolding points of view). In Fallout there is more interaction, supposedly, with a player's interpretations of the story-- that is, as evinced by their play-style and karmic decisions. That would be interesting.

AMC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.