How do you make eye contact with a cross eyed person?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
or are you supposed to just not try?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
are you trying to jinx me?

Deleted member 42

The problem, speaking as a cross-eyed person (despite three eye surgeries), is that they can't make eye contact with you.

Just don't, please, tell us we're not paying attention, or that we have a "cast".

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I worked with someone who was cross eyed - I looked at her forehead or her nose when we talked cuz I was making myself dizzy trying to figure out which eye was looking at me :)

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
I worked with someone who was cross eyed - I looked at her forehead or her nose when we talked cuz I was making myself dizzy trying to figure out which eye was looking at me :)

exactly!

the issue is that i'm so conscious of the fact that i can't make eye contact and i don't want the person to think i'm rudely staring at their problem.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
How about tremendously crossed-eyed, totally deaf, and can't write? My old neighbor - I'd take him to get his groceries - and we did just fine... somehow :)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
A thethinker42 faux pas...

A bunch of us were standing around talking at a horse show, kind of in a circle. One of the girls had a lazy eye. I knew this, had known this, but was somewhat distracted. She asked me, "Are you going to (upcoming show)?" I looked to my left (the direction her eye pointed), then back at her, and said, "Me?"

Oops...

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
The problem, speaking as a cross-eyed person (despite three eye surgeries), is that they can't make eye contact with you.

Just don't, please, tell us we're not paying attention, or that we have a "cast".

Yeah, I've had two surgeries, and was warned I'd be in for more over the years as the muscles tend to slacken off. Thirty odd years later, and I've avoided it so far. *touch wood* (Can't say I've missed the double, sickening vision. Ick.)

With some people, you'll find they focus with one eye (I'm one of them--my other eye, which doesn't have much sight, turned off naturally), so if you're looking into the other eye, you look to them like you're looking at their ear. For someone who uses both eyes independently (alternating) to focus, I tend to watch each eye as it watches me, or go for the middle ground--the bridge of the nose. But with most cross-eyed people, they're probably seeing a double image of you and the surroundings, so where you're looking won't be clear to them anyway. :)

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
A thethinker42 faux pas...

A bunch of us were standing around talking at a horse show, kind of in a circle. One of the girls had a lazy eye. I knew this, had known this, but was somewhat distracted. She asked me, "Are you going to (upcoming show)?" I looked to my left (the direction her eye pointed), then back at her, and said, "Me?"

Oops...

*giggle* Yeah, that happens.

I've got a lazy eye, too, but it's so-called due to the lid drooping a bit, especially when I'm tired. My crossed eye was referred to as a squint. You'd reckon the terminology should be the other way around...

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If it's a woman I would look at her rack so that she would chalk me up as a typical male. Problem solved, lock the thread.

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Better question:

Do you think cross-eyed people get together in groups and UN-cross their eyes and then laugh at each other for doing that?

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Look us between the eyes. We don't care which one of you we're looking at anyway.

My daughter has one eye that turns in (it's a weak muscle condition--she can't help it) and my son always makes fun of her by forcing one eye to turn in (Yeah, he's viciously cruel, I know...) but she's learned to deal with it humorously. Eye therapy exercises helped A LOT! But for the first three years at school she was always in trouble for not looking at the teacher when the teacher was talking. (This was before we knew she had vision problems--it wasn't obvious at first). Lo and behold, we found out she was looking at the double image and thinking the "ghost" was the real person. Poor kid. I cried when I found out how many times she had sat in time out at school for not "paying attention." We had no idea.