The event formerly known as #queryfail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Just when you thought the dust had settled, it's time to dust off those Twitter accounts. #QueryFail 2 has been renamed #QueryDay and starts tomorrow. This time around, agents will also be taking questions on agenting/publishing.

You do not need a Twitter account to watch, but you will need a Twitter account if you want to participate in the QAs.

Full details can be found on The Swivet.

(was posting a reminder on my blog and figured I'd throw one up here as well)

marie2

slowly but surely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolemariemessina.tumblr.com
Today is #Queryday on Twitter.com!

Today is #queryday (formerly #queryfail) on Twitter.

Agents are taking your industry and query related questions and answering them while they livetweet about what they like and don't like in a query. To follow it you don't need a Twitter account. Just go over here. To ask a question, however, you do need to get a Twitter account.

It's free and addictive, y'all. ;)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh. I'll confess I'm watching Twitter compulsively while I work, because it's just too much fun. Also, I find interesting people to follow.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I'll confess I'm watching Twitter compulsively while I work, because it's just too much fun. Also, I find interesting people to follow.

I'm checking in occasionally. Part of me wishes I could take the day off just to follow it.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It's oddly subdued. *sigh* Which is sort of a shame, honestly - while, yes, it's good to be nice whenever you can, sometimes brutal and unvarnished honesty is absolutely priceless.

I did, however, find this link. Which is sort of mind-blowingly hostile and astonishingly bitter.

Last edited:

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
It's oddly subdued. *sigh* Which is sort of a shame, honestly - while, yes, it's good to be nice whenever you can, sometimes brutal and unvarnished honesty is absolutely priceless.

I did, however, find this link. Which is sort of mind-blowingly hostile and astonishingly bitter.

Just a bit (though I didn't have time to read the whole thing).

I'm not always crazy about some of the snark from agents BUT I'd rather have one in my corner than not. At the end of the day, the agents are just pitching what the publishing houses want. If less literary fiction is making it to the shelves the fault lies just as much with the buying public and the publishing houses.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score

Re: that article.

Sounds like someone got one too many form rejections to partials.

There's a lot of irreverence, arrogance and ire in that diatribe. I stopped reading for value and started reading for entertainment around the end of the first paragraph.

Phoenix Fury

From the ashes, baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You all know my opinion about this queryfail business, but that article is ridiculous...not to mention offensive. Nice to know fantasy and detective fiction are lumped in with "first-draft bubble gum." It's a shame, too, because there are some reasonable points being made...but it's hard to see them amongst the piles of vitriolic attacks ("wannabe writers enrolled in one of the creative-writing courses that proliferate at our universities and colleges"?!?). How arrogant can you get, seriously?

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
I've followed off and on, but most of what I've read is a Q&A on basic query stuff. Only read a handful of actual query fails.

I found the same thing. Lots of questions that could be answered with some basic research.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've followed off and on, but most of what I've read is a Q&A on basic query stuff. Only read a handful of actual query fails.

I've actually seen more query wins, now that you mention it. Rather interesting. Wonder if it's like a lot of other things in life...good query/bad query cycles or batches? :D

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If less literary fiction is making it to the shelves the fault lies just as much with the buying public and the publishing houses.

Her book appears to be commercial fiction about a woman's weight loss battle. I don't think a literary fiction bias would impact her anyway. Not for this novel at least.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I"m a little perplexed as to why the writer is so convinced that agents and editors want different things. Both want books that they believe will sell. Neither makes money unless they do.

But I understand the bitterness. Oh yes, I do.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Her book appears to be commercial fiction about a woman's weight loss battle. I don't think a literary fiction bias would impact her anyway. Not for this novel at least.

I read part of the excerpt she posted on Authonomy. IMO, the agents made the right call.

ETA: here's the link I posted elsewhere. Note to self: egoboo may feel good, but it doesn't help improve my writing.
Message from Mary: I invite you to have a look at the first few chapters of The Whole Clove Diet which I have posted on Authonomy. This novel has been rejected, mainly sight unseen, by more than 60 agents. Please note the reader comments on this book — and feel free to add your own comments if you wish.
http://www.authonomy.com/ReadBook.as...d=6823#chapter

Last edited:

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Re: that article.

Sounds like someone got one too many form rejections to partials.

There's a lot of irreverence, arrogance and ire in that diatribe. I stopped reading for value and started reading for entertainment around the end of the first paragraph.

I had to stop reading when he compared himself and his writer friends to Atwood.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
How do I make the #queryday tweets automatically email themselves into my inbox? Thanks

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I read the pages of The Whole Clove Diet that were posted. I didn't think they were terrible, not by a long shot -- she can write. The excerpt includes some very vividly observed passages, and the characters were distinctive. But it's not quite commercial enough to be commercial, nor literary enough to be literary. I suspect her effort to bridge the gap has left her stranded in the middle.

Also, I didn't find the MC compelling or sympathetic; we're supposed to feel bad for her, and I guess I did, but so many of the people surrounding her were unrealistically terrible to her for no reason. (That doctor would never, ever say that to her or to anyone, probably under any circumstances but certainly not while serving as a temporary fill-in.) And she just took no responsibility for her rotten situation whatsoever; all these shallow, unrewarding relationships she had were obviously meant to be the fault of the other people involved, never hers for not speaking up/not being honest/not having saddled herself with that person in the first place. There was no sense whatsoever that the character could or should have any kind of agency. Everything was supposed to be someone else's fault, even her smoking.

Which, if you look at the letter she wrote about how it's agents' fault she isn't getting published, is not that surprising.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
One small two paragraph reminder on #queryday posted on my blog and it's gotten the most hits this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.