dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Prime Time coverage of the Tea Parties yesterday puts into sharp focus where America went to get their news on the topic

8-11 PM ET (# of viewers)
FOXNEWS 3,262,000
MSNBC 1,137,000
CNN 1,059,000

FOXNEWS O'REILLY 3,819,000
FOXNEWS HANNITY 3,087,000
FOXNEWS GRETA 2,877,000
FOXNEWS BECK 2,511,000
FOXNEWS BAIER 2,286,000
FOXNEWS SHEP 2,169,000
MSNBC OLBERMANN 1,363,000
CNN KING 1,268,000
CNNHN GRACE 1,252,000
MSNBC MADDOW 1,086,000
CNN COOPER 1,021,000

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
To put these numbers in perspective, be aware that Nickelodeon's Spongebob Squarepants draws the same numbers as Fox's highest rated shows.

5 SPONGEBOB NICK SAT 9:30 AM 2.8 3,238,000
6 SPONGEBOB NICK SAT 9:00 AM 2.7 3,109,000

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
And you're surprised? The vast majority of people supporting the tea parties are people looking to hear no criticism of them, and FOX is where they'll get what they want to hear. I note that you cite six different FOX shows, which in itself is an indication just how much air time FOX devoted to the topic.

All of which means these figures don't say anything we don't already know.

caw

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
And you're surprised? The vast majority of people supporting the tea parties are people looking to hear no criticism of them, and FOX is where they'll get what they want to hear. I note that you cite six different FOX shows, which in itself is an indication just how much air time FOX devoted to the topic.

All of which means these figures don't say anything we don't already know.

caw

Well, if you spent weeks and millions of dollars manufacturing a false "grass roots" movement (i.e. "astroturf") news event that turned out to be another laughable conservative blunder, wouldn't you want to report as much as you could on it to try to make it seem legitimate?

Too bad it didn't work.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I went back and forth between the channels, comparing how the different networks covered it. Then I said "screw it" and watched America's Next Top Model.

Here's a dumb question--how do they gauge the ratings these days? Has it changed in the past few years?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Dude...taking your lead from Pelosi? I expected better from you, Opty.

Dude...you DO realize that term (in this context) has been around for about 20 years, right?

I expected better from you, Rob.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
And, here's how NOT to.

http://www.dailykostv.com/w/001171/

Typical job, FOX News.
Personally, I don't watch FoxNews. I prefer CNN. But I'm talking "news," not talking head shows. I don't watch any of them. Well, once and a great while, I do for a few chuckles. O'reilly--by far--is the most obnoxious of the group, imo.

Regardless, the CNN reporter was being obnoxious, confrontational, and a dupe in that piece. It was an awful display. I'd like to see an argument why it wasn't, as opposed to an attempt to divert the issue.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question--how do they gauge the ratings these days? Has it changed in the past few years?

Not dumb at all, IMO. I believe it has changed in the past few years, with the Nielsen ratings, DVR ratings etc. all factored in. Haven't done much research to explain it, but I believe they have a way of tracking what shows are recorded to your cable box.

I do not believe Apple iTunes or Apple TV ratings count, as no money to support those versions of publication (narrowcasting?) comes from advertisers.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, because there's no way possible I could actually already know something. Prior knowledge is only reserved for you, I guess.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Speaking of coverage, here's the new standard on how to cover an event as an unbiased reporter, without becoming a part of it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOrPzVECSjo

Good job, CNN.
I saw that live. What the clip leaves out is the man who was interviewed immediately before that, the one I remarked on in the tea party thread.

She tried to find out why the man (who was holding an Obama as Hitler sign) thought Obama was a fascist, and he kept replying, "because he is." I thought she was rather restrained, actually.

Personally, I don't watch FoxNews. I prefer CNN. But I'm talking "news," not talking head shows
Except Cavuto was on the scene, acting as a reporter. Admittedly, the CNN reporter made it clear what she thought of the interviewees, which is poor journalism, but Cavuto knowingly lied in order to give viewers a false picture that supported his own political agenda.

That's on a different level, imo.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I saw that live. What the clip leaves out is the man who was interviewed immediately before that, the one I remarked on in the tea party thread.
I saw that, too.

She tried to find out why the man (who was holding an Obama as Hitler sign) thought Obama was a fascist, and he kept replying, "because he is." I thought she was rather restrained, actually.
Oh, come on. She was talking to an idiot. She kept asking him because it made him look even more idiotic.

She was there to mock. And when the guy in the clip I gave failed to cooperate by giving a quick and stupid answer, she cut him off.

Now, I don't think this represents "intent" on the part of CNN, at all. What I think it represents is a reporter that assumed she was smarter than others and was out to prove it--by mocking those others. And that's beyond shody journalism, imo

Except Cavuto was on the scene, acting as a reporter.
He was there as Neil Cavuto. And Olbermann's the same sort as Cavuto: a talking head. Cavuto exaggerated? Seems likely. But it's all estimates. The site Opty linked to (Daily Kos) lied, as well, when it said "around 5,000." That's not what the CHP spokesperson said. He said the crowd peaked "at a little more than 5,000 protesters," according to the story. Why did DailyKos do that? Well obviously, to make Cavuto's exaggeration appear to be even worse. Still, this is all about Olbermann zinging someone, not about "truth." Because--like the rest of the talking heads--Olbermann is looking to score points against the "enemy," not engage in thoughtful analysis. Really, all of these guys makeme sick. Don't make me watch anymore of them, please.
Admittedly, the CNN reporter made it clear what she thought of the interviewees, which is poor journalism, but Cavuto knowingly lied in order to give viewers a false picture that supported his own political agenda.
Accepting that Cavuto lied, I still see her actions as worse, both from the standpoint of common courtesy and journalism. And she was damn well spouting her own political views and therefore advancing her own agenda, as well.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Don't you think, perhaps, that a person with an Obama is Hitler sign deserves to be mocked?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but I also think Obama deserves to be mocked... but not by a reporter sent out to cover a story. That's the job of the editorial staff.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Don't you think, perhaps, that a person with an Obama is Hitler sign deserves to be mocked?

i do. such hyperbole is fucking stupid.

don't suppose you can link me to your posts mocking these people over the past 8 years?

IMG_5653.JPG

BushHitlerShitAsshole.jpg

BushHitlerPlakard053.jpg

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Not as much as the idiot who had the "Taxpayers are the Jews for Obama's oven" sign.

Clearly representative of the types of people who were the most passionate about those tea parties.

And a sad indictment of the intelligence of many people of that ilk who hold those views.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As Don noted, not directly by the reporter, sent there to supposedly "cover" the event. Regardless, the guy she cut off and was rude to was not carrying that sign. What did he do to deserve such treatment?
i do. such hyperbole is fucking stupid.

don't suppose you can link me to your posts mocking these people over the past 8 years?
I bet we could find posts somewhere on this forum that suggested Bush was/is a fascist. But he probably was/is.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As Don noted, not directly by the reporter, sent there to supposedly "cover" the event. Regardless, the guy she cut off and was rude to was not carrying that sign. What did he do to deserve such treatment?

Ummm . . . let me think a moment . . . ummmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . being a total fuckhead? . . . maybe?

(I'm channeling Jon Stewart tonight.)

caw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.