Ants - Updated (and a handy household tip)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, it turns out the cure for ants (assuming they're just foraging, not living, in your house) is --- the vacuum cleaner.

The infestation in our home got pretty obnoxious, and I'd tried the vinegar and salt tricks suggested here, but succeeded only in making myself hungry for potato chips. That stuff deterred them, but only for about a day.

Then it rained really hard and it go so bad that there were probably fifty ants or more in my field of vision at any give time. So, I called the exterminator. He couldn't come for three days.

So, we hauled out the vacuum cleaner and sucked up every ant we could see, over and over for a day and a half. By the time the exterminator came, he could only find three ants in the trash can. And he told me that the vacuum cleaner is a perfectly viable treatment for ant infestations. If you break off their chain of communication, they won't know to keep sending the troops. He did a very thorough inspection and it doesn't appear that they live here; probably off in the woods somewhere behind our house.

So, go figure. It's the vacuum that did the trick.

The more you know...

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! That's funny. I hope you didn't have to pay him a truckload for that little tip!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ha! That's funny. I hope you didn't have to pay him a truckload for that little tip!
Actually, he didn't charge me. He did a very thorough inspection and said that their estimates are always free, even if it's gonna cost you $0 to get rid of those durn bugs.

That's a company I'll call again. And, in fact, have. I had a wasp problem three years ago that was more than I could handle on my own.

So, I've got his card (I asked him for a couple so that I could recommend them to others) and the glow of falling victim to good customer service.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
If they are trying to go somewhere you don't want to in the future....they say chalk keeps them away...now I don't know how well this works. But it is said that they don't cross chalk...
And the Ant-trap:
Procure a large natural sponge, wash it well and press it dry, which will leave the cells quite open; then sprinkle it with fine white sugar, and place it near where the ants are troublesome. The ants will soon collect upon the sponge and take up their abode in its cells. It is then only necessary to dip the sponge in boiling water, when the ants will be destroyed, and it may be set over and over again. :D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, the exterminator warned me off of any bait traps - natural or otherwise.

It seemed rather simplistic when he said it, but "anything that attracts them will likely only make the problem worse." He told me to throw out the bait traps and of an apartment he went to that had a terrible ant infestation. He said the woman had about two dozen of these bait traps and that no one in the building had ants but her. She was calling to every ant in a four block radius!

Lol!

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, well then that would be a good point! Never had to do it myself, worked for the person that did...but not worth those kind of odds! :Sun:

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Well, that solution sucked.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal! Tip your waiter!

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
So, we hauled out the vacuum cleaner and sucked up every ant we could see, over and over for a day and a half. By the time the exterminator came, he could only find three ants in the trash can. And he told me that the vacuum cleaner is a perfectly viable treatment for ant infestations. If you break off their chain of communication, they won't know to keep sending the troops. He did a very thorough inspection and it doesn't appear that they live here; probably off in the woods somewhere behind our house.

So, go figure. It's the vacuum that did the trick.

The more you know...

*make a note to shut off the internet next time we get ants.*

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Thanks for the update, Perks! A vacuum cleaner. Okay. That'll work. Why vinegar works for me, I have no idea. Maybe my collection of ants was small. It even killed the crickets off.

Now, though, we have termites. Can't win 'em all.
I washed the floor with vinegar and you were definitely right - they hated it. They ran away, but as soon as the salad-smell cleared out, they came back.

It was a lovely respite, an island in a sea of aaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
The horror! The horror!

I just went on an ant massacre. They were invading my kitchen, making a huge line from the living room to the dog food on the floor (the pooch is a messy eater). I was going to wait and just have someone spray, but they ascended to the kitchen counter; that was when I decided to take things into my own hands.

First, I tried black pepper. I poured a bit on a cluster of ants, and they scattered like crazy. I thought it worked, so I sprinkled it all around the kitchen and counter base. I watched for a few minutes, but they swarmed back and began taking the pieces of pepper away. So much for that.

I grabbed a spray bottle full of non-toxic liquid soap and started spraying like there was no tomorrow. They died pretty much on impact, so I followed the string back to the wall where they were coming from. If the soap didn't kill them, the flood certainly did. The dead are still waiting to be taken to Valhalla, but I'm going to clean it up soon and do a little spraying around the walls to keep em out. So far it seems to be working pretty well.

Just call me Ant Killah.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And who told you about the soapy water ?????? :)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the soapy water tip, brainstorm. Worked like a charm so far.

Thanks for merging OFG; I didn't realise there was an ant thread already.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Feeding them cornmeal will also kill them.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I also like the cinnamon tip I found. It scares them for some reason but in time they get use to the spice and start to like it :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm avoiding Rob--his pants are on fire.