If you can't grant 'exclusivity' -- then what?

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I also posted this under 'bewares' because of an old thread about Wm Clark, but I think I need an agent's input on this ....

In the more than 14 weeks it took William Clark to reply to my query with a request for a partial, I attracted the interest of several other agents. Right now, six agents are considering the first few chapters of the manuscript. Note, however, that William Clark wrote:

"Please send the material (including a copy of your original query letter) to me at the address below ...

I prefer to read material on an exclusive basis, and return the courtesy by agreeing to consider your work in a timely manner. ..."

Of all the agents who have requested partials, William Clark is probably the agent whose representation I would want the most. So, how can I delicately phrase the info that I cannot provide him the exclusivity he prefers? What can I provide him in lieu of exclusivity -- a promise to give him 'dibs'? No, that's not a good idea -- just a promise to ... what?

Any ideas?

the1dsquared

Dave Diamantes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deadpenpals.com
Try this

Smallthunder, why don't you tell him just that? It sounds like you haven't submitted the entire manuscript to anyone yet. Offer it to him on an exclusive basis and cross your fingers.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Exclusivity is not all that big of a deal, if it's really an agent you want. However, if you want to hedge your bets (and that's what you're doing, after all, if you're concerned about the issue), then offer it to him exclusively for a set period of time. Since the only concern in your mind is having it floating out there for years with no word, then reply with the requested materials and the statement. "Enclosed is... As you requested, I have not simultaneously submitted this manuscript to any other agent. However, since I believe that there's presently a good atmosphere in the market to sell this manuscript, I will only provide exclusive viewing of this proposal for a period of four months."

Then, after the four months, send a second letter or e-mail with a reminder that you'll be submitting it elsewhere. If you still don't hear after a week or so, send it to the next agent on the list.

Hope that helps, and GOOD LUCK!

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
exclusivity 4 complete mss

the1dsquared said:
Smallthunder, why don't you tell him just that? It sounds like you haven't submitted the entire manuscript to anyone yet. Offer it to him on an exclusive basis and cross your fingers.

Why didn't I think of that?:Smack:

Great idea, the1dsquared! How long do you think I should offer it to him, assuming he is interested in pursuing representation for my novel? As Cathy C points out, a set period of time would better protect my interests while still accommodating Wm Clark's preferences.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Update

Well!

Mr. Clark received my partial, along with my letter regarding my inability to offer him an exclusive reading of same -- yet offering him the rest of the manuscript on an exclusive basis if he should so desire.

Within 5 days of receiving my package, he e-mailed me to request the rest of the mansucript on that basis ...

Praise the Lord! And my helpful friends at Absolute Write!
:banana:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Update on exclusivity

Hi, everyone!

I just want to report that I received a very nice e-mail from Wm Clark today regarding my manuscript -- no, make that, "a friggen FANTASTIC e-mail from Wm Clark today" -- he has offered to represent me/my novel!

:partyguy:

La Reine

Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
Hi, everyone!

I just want to report that I received a very nice e-mail from Wm Clark today regarding my manuscript -- no, make that, "a friggen FANTASTIC e-mail from Wm Clark today" -- he has offered to represent me/my novel!

Wow! I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you! :banana: :banana: :banana:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
WriteRead said:
Congratulatory, very much so, smallthunder, did you set a time limit when you sent the full ms to Clark, as Cathy advised? If yes, what was it?
Dan

Thanks, WriteRead. Yes, I did as Cathy advised -- I offered Mr. Clark exclusivity for three months. His decision came, however, within 3 - 4 weeks.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
smallthunder said:
Hi, everyone!

Congratulations!!! Now the fun can REALLY start.....:Clap: :snoopy: :TheWave:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, flotsamarama -- I shall certainly post whenever there is movement on my novel.

My agent offered the manuscript to Random House on an exclusive basis -- if they don't pick it up, then he said he'd wait until after the summer draws to a close before attempting anything else because NYC/publishing world is pretty dead in August.

In the meantime, I've thrown myself into historical research for the sequel!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Smallthunder, I am so excited for you! Wm Clark is great. Congratulations! We'll all have our fingers crossed for the next step. :)

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Update

Thanks, stormie -- I heard back from William Clark that Random House is giving it a pass, but I'm still so psyched that Mr. Clark is pitching for me that I don't mind. I never cared for the name "Random House," anyway!
:tongue

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Congrats. William Clark is a class A agent. Hopefully your ms. will find a good home soon. There are plenty of big houses beside Random House. Keep it up!