Mythical Creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunrise2Fantasy

Registered
Reaction score
For a few of my stories, I need mythical creatures. I've already got the common and basic ones i.e. dragons, pheonixes, etc. I want more that are unheard of or something, and google hates me, because it doesnt come up with the answers for what I type in when I search for sites.
If anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it, or even help me make up a creature of your own, as long as I have permission to use it of course!

Thanks for all those who try to/can help me!

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
If you want some unusual creatures which belong in the Western tradition, try reading up on some of the odd combination-beasties you get in heraldry - the yale, the manticore, the opinicus etc..

Eric Summers

Apply Directly to Forehead
Registered
Reaction score
Some libraries still carry Dungeons and Dragons material. D&D is a great source of mythical and monstrous creatures. The books are filled with a lot of game-related stuff of course, but they also contain a fair bit of information about the creatures habits, society, etc, as well as some artwork depicting the creature in question. You can pick up some older editions of the book at this link on amazon for cheap.

Have fun!

Sunrise2Fantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks guys! Sorry, I would have replied sooner, but I was busy with my birthday today! Thanks for all the information, and I am just looking for any type of creature really, like I said I have the normal ones, and I'm looking for exotic, unusual, ranges of them. It doesnt matter exactly, I have broad tastes for mythical creatures and pretty much will accept ALMOST anything.

Sunrise2Fantasy

Registered
Reaction score
If you guys could give me a few more sites that would be helpful too. I found another good one for my stories, and so far I think I have everything, but I need to make sure cuz I'm a perfectionist like that, and it gets annoying lol.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Not so much as a source but rather as a site that might provide some entertaining surprizes that you can then adapt for your stories, I recommend visiting the Worth1000 site at URL http://www.worth1000.com where they have contests for photoshop users. Look for the contests where contestants had to create unusual creatures or new hybrids and other weird combinations. You might also find some interesting ideas for inventions as well that might fit into a story.

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
When I was looking for different creatures, I went to the library. :) In their reference section they had a huge book on different mythical creatures. Before then I didn't know there was a difference between a basilisk and a cockatrice. (I may just be the odd one...) They had Hippocampus and stuff like that too.

I think I'm pretty good at making up creatures if you wanted to do that. I don't mind helping out a bit, but it'd be your creation. I'd just give pointers and ideas. ;)

Sunrise2Fantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Hummingbird said:
When I was looking for different creatures, I went to the library. :) In their reference section they had a huge book on different mythical creatures. Before then I didn't know there was a difference between a basilisk and a cockatrice. (I may just be the odd one...) They had Hippocampus and stuff like that too.

I think I'm pretty good at making up creatures if you wanted to do that. I don't mind helping out a bit, but it'd be your creation. I'd just give pointers and ideas. ;)

As long as you dont mind me using your ideas and inventions hummingbird id be glad for your help! And thanks, i'll check my library out!

Lucky Penny

Been gone WAY too long!
Registered
Reaction score

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
This is where I whip out my Gurps Bestiary. Seriously. There are literally hundreds of mythical/magical creatures. My personal favorites that I first discovered in this book are a tree that shoots poisonous thorns to bring down flying prey, and a fifty-foot owl. Have a look!

I realize I sound like an advertisement, but it's a great book for getting ideas on creatures.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eric Summers said:
Some libraries still carry Dungeons and Dragons material. D&D is a great source of mythical and monstrous creatures. The books are filled with a lot of game-related stuff of course, but they also contain a fair bit of information about the creatures habits, society, etc, as well as some artwork depicting the creature in question. You can pick up some older editions of the book at this link on amazon for cheap.

Have fun!

You are brilliant! Why didn't I think of that. My husband has hundred of RPG books in our dining room! Thanks!

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
sassandgroove said:
You are brilliant! Why didn't I think of that. My husband has hundred of RPG books in our dining room! Thanks!

Heh. :Lecture: Specifically, you're looking for the AD&D 2nd edition Monstrous Manual, a white hardback with a black spine (TSR stock #2140). Any of the Monstrous Compendiums are good, too. If he has the Dragon Magazine Archive CD-ROM (or the actual printed versions), you want to look for the "Ecology of" series of articles for much more detail.

Why is everybody staring at me like that? :Thumbs:

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
http://www.dowse.com/mythical-animals.html - Links to other sites about mythical creatures.

http://www.mythcreatures.co.uk/index.htm - Has short descriptions of mythical creatures from several cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_species_in_folklore_and_mythology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_species
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_species_in_fantasy_fiction
These three are self-explanatory heh.

These are just a few resources I dug up through a quick search.

~DragonHeart~

Sunrise2Fantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry I havent replied in a while. I transitioned from one computer to another, since I got a router for my birthday, and lost my password to this forum in the process. I appreciate the extra help, and now feel like I have a bunch of summer homework piled on my lap. No worries, this helps out a hell of a lot! I appreciate your helping me!

Status
Not open for further replies.