Do you read new writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deesjournal.wordpress.com
I know that prolly sounds like a silly question, but I'm curious if anyone finds that once they start "writing" as a pastime or career, if it changes their reading habits.

I've always been really into reading new writers. But I have a confession to make (please don't shoot) - often times with new writers, I have a tendency to be affected by the cover art as combined with the synopsis - at least as far as that "quick pick" thing goes. I know that's awful and somewhat shallow, and if the synopsis is good enough to catch my attention, even really uninteresting or "bad" cover art won't deter me. But...

Also, a 2nd question - who typically writes the synopsis for a book. Is that the publisher's marketing/pr department?

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I read whatever book sounds interesting whether the author is new or established. And I still read something almost every night as a part of my relaxation routine before bed. Always have, likely always will.

I am more likely to explore writers from small publishers now, but I think that is more of an awareness issue than any desire to avoid them before I started writing myself.

:)

-Michelle

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I read new writers, and I may have always done so and just didn't do it consciously before. Like Sara Gruen--first I liked the title and cover of her debut, it was a bestseller, hmm, might read it. Then I find out it was a NaNo novel, and I was further intrigued. Then I find out she's a friend of Joshilyn Jackson, who spoke to my writer's club, and I had to read it.

Basically, if a new writer is introduced to me in ways other than 'happening across them', and they hit The List, I'll definitely read them to see what they did to get where they got. (Mr. Ford, I'm looking at you)

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Since I started writing the genres I read now has expanded dramatically. I was a bread and butter vampire novel and fantasy reader... now I read romance, urban fantasy, erotica, westerns, all different kinds of paranormal (not just vampires), YA, middle grade, science fiction, literary... and on and on.... and to your question, yes, I actually prefer new/newer authors... but I dont stress too much on that. I also prefer solid names... authors who are the masters of their genre... so I can get a feel for what a novel sounds like from a newbie and from a master... =)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I read a lot of new authors who write in my genre. Partly I'm hoping to discover someone good, as a reader, and partly I want to see what the competition is doing.
Also, a 2nd question - who typically writes the synopsis for a book. Is that the publisher's marketing/pr department?
If you mean the cover copy on the back of the book, it's usually the marketing department with help from the editor, who then hopefully runs it by the author for approval. It usually ends up as a collaborative effort.

The marketing dept on my books has routinely tried to include major spoilers in their zeal to make the copy attractive to buyers. The kind of thing they tend to do is along the lines of ". . . and little did she know that the man she thought was her brother was the heir to a fortune -- and a killer."

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I've been frequently disappointed by long-running authors of late. So, yeah, I read new authors. And I've been very interested in small-press published authors. I've had a lot better luck with getting a good book with the small press books lately.

I don't usually pay much attention to new or old, but rather the elements of the story. I'm less and less trusting of back cover blurbs-- read too many that made me think that whoever wrote it didn't actually read the book! So, mainly, I go with recommendations by those who I know.

I'm increasingly particular and persnickety as I read. I'm more likely to forgive a beginning author of things than one who's been at it a long while (and I'm really hard on those who are considered "great" writers!)

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a great question.

Since I started taking writing seriously and skipping around on message boards and blogs, I've been much more aware of/likely to seek out first novels.

Since the recession hit, I've also started giving books as gifts more often. I want to be part of the industry, therefore I wish to support it.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I make a conscious effort to look for new writers, more so than I did before I got serious about my writing.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm here, aren't I? :)

I like new writers, but I must confess 99.9% of the time I go to the letters of the alphabet of writers I already love first.

B for Bradbury.

D for Dufresne.

J for Julavits (sometimes).

M for Morrison.

A for Adams--even though he's not coming out with anything new...I just like to see how they continually re-anthologize him :p.

A few others.

B for Butler (Robert Olen).

Then I sort of branch off around what I find and rubberneck as I deem appropriate.

I also read by word of mouth.

As for writing affecting my reading habits, I think I've become more selective if anything. I stick to styles I like because those are the styles I find most effective in my own writing.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I do and I've bought books by many members here on AW :)

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
I've been frequently disappointed by long-running authors of late.

Oh wow. I thought I was the only one feeling that way. It's so annoying to read a dud by an author you've followed for a while.

As to new writers--I love, love, love finding new authors to follow. It's even more fun when you find out the author has a huge-o backlist you can plow through while waiting for the next new book.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I too have been disappointed by long-established authors more than the new. The new often have more original stories whereas the established seem to do tired variations of their earlier successes.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
When I go to a book store, I'll look through the new releases table and see what's there. Sometimes I'd find something I really like, and it's not a writer I've heard of. Chances are, though, they're not "new" or "debut" but still, I don't like to limit my choices to just a few favorites.

However, if I didn't have anything to go by (reviews, etc.) then it really is by cover art, backcover blurb, and random pages. I like to flip to the middle somewhere -- most writers learn to grab you by the first couple pages, but the real test is the middle of the book: if it's still interesting, I'll buy.

I've discovered many writers that way.

Also, I buy AW. There are many wonderful writers on here (ahem....). Check out the library.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I have my faithful standbys like Dick Francis, but since I started writing I've hooked up with so many wonderful debut authors that I've been reading all their stuff. Their writing is fresh and new, and I feel great for them.

While networking, I've connected with established authors in a genre I never thought I'd frequent: thrillers.

Being a Gemini, I'm torn between thriller and women's fiction. How's that for a stretch?

ELMontague

I try to read someone I haven't read at least twice a month and average five books a month.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I don't pay attention to whether the writer is new or established unless I'm looking for something by a particular author I know I want to read.

As a rule, I just look at the cover, title and read the synopsis. I'm usually looking in a particular genre: historical fiction and/or romance, Horror, Thriller/suspense. I read soley for entertainment so if the cover and synopsis look interesting, I'll go for it.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I read books by new writers that I meet on forums. I've enjoyed a lot of good books that way and in genres I don't usually pick up. I love having autographed copies and trading novels with author friends.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I have my faithful standbys like Dick Francis, but since I started writing I've hooked up with so many wonderful debut authors that I've been reading all their stuff. Their writing is fresh and new, and I feel great for them.

While networking, I've connected with established authors in a genre I never thought I'd frequent: thrillers.

Being a Gemini, I'm torn between thriller and women's fiction. How's that for a stretch?

I too am a Gemini, and have a debut thriller coming out this August. We're a match.

I just received my first copy of my bound book (very cool cover if I may say so) and was surprised at the back cover. I certainly hadn't been asked my thoughts on what was written. Bits were taken from my original synopsis and I would have probably asked it to be 'tweaked' in a couple of places. I quickly got over it though when I realised I was actually holding my own book. And, there was a very nice blurb from Lisa Unger as well.

And for those interested in trying something different in the thriller genre, there is a stack of very talented writers with recent releases or new releases coming soon who are featured on the International Thriller Writers website. There's also a 'The Thrill Begins' blog, MySpace and Facebook stuff happening.

JJ

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm kind of stuck in the past with authors. If a new writer comes along I stumble onto them after they've been around for a while for some reason.

I do the same thing with movies and tv shows. I like to see what lasts before I investigate.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I prefer to read new writers. I have a few of my favorite, long-standing authors, but sometimes they can be predictable after reading a few books. I'd rather investigate new styles and ways of interpreting the world through fiction.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I make it a point to pick up new authors, especially if I somehow how them via the internet (whether AW, or other blog sites I'm a member of). One of the best books I read last year was from a debut author.

I also make it a point to pick up new-to-me authors (as in, authors I've never read before, even though they are no longer debut authors and have four or five books out). I keep discovering so many wonderful authors within the realm of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance that I haven't tried before.

But I admit, cover art and blurbs still affect my buying choices. Even if a book comes recommended, I may hesitate if I don't like the cover or description (but I've since learned the back description isn't always one-hundred percent faithful to events).

The marketing dept on my books has routinely tried to include major spoilers in their zeal to make the copy attractive to buyers. The kind of thing they tend to do is along the lines of ". . . and little did she know that the man she thought was her brother was the heir to a fortune -- and a killer."

I was very lucky in that the bulk of my blurb was taken from my original query structure, with some details trimmed out. No real spoilers. :)

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Of course!
A lot of the books I've read this year were first novels and really good. I like to buy AW members books too.

Status
Not open for further replies.