Problem while loading AW...

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an odd question. I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm not savvy either.

My browser (IE) freezes on AW IF, and only if, the Paypal button doesn't immediately load. When that blessed yellow Donate box doesn't appear, the scroll bar will work only until I hover my cursor over a hyperlink, at which point it will freeze. A Ctrl+Alt+Delete will then show me that, more often than not, the program has stopped responding.

This doesn't happen with any other webpage that I visit. And through many test runs, I've discovered that the function of AW in my browser hinges solely upon the appearance of the Paypal icon.

If I try to access AW from any url but my homepage or a blank, it will freeze long before the Paypal button appears.

For note: all of my antivirus is up to date and functional, and I regularly wipe cookies and temporary internet files (although I've noted that the status of these doesn't seem to make a difference when it comes to the problem with the Paypal button). I don't keep multiple windows/programs up at once.

Anyone know what's up with this? I've been blaming it on IE being bloated, inefficient and generally cranky, but it's gotten rather irritating and been going on for quite a while.

Thanks in advance. :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
IE is bloated, horrible, messy, cranky, and only barely functional.

Get Firefox. It free, safer, and much, much faster.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
It's prolly choking on a script. The security settings that might be changed to relieve the issue are too convoluted to explain.

That's why everyone says "Get Firefox".

Get Firefox ;)

Or Opera.

Or both.

Shoot, I use K-Meleon :tongue

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Maybe not the same problem but my IE7 freezes randomly, I've never been able to figure why, not just on AW but on other sites too (my suspicions on other sites lean toward certain ad types). I can't do a darn thing with IE7 so I right-click on the task bar, kick up Task Manager and stop iexplore.exe (right-click, End Process) which usually shows bloated memory usage. IE7 restarts without problems and behaves all innocent.

-Derek

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'd been told by a friend to get Firefox, but I never knew enough about it. With your recommendations to add to his, I'm going to check it out.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
as they say on the firefox site, Firefox tech crew is like a squad of fully trained ninjas protecting your computer.

Get it, its much, much much much much better.

and it has ninjas. I think they are supposed to come in the mail but mine haven't made it yet.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Firefox has a spellchecker... it checks everything. Like when you type up a post on a forum. I like spellchecker. It helps when my fingers type too fast. =)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have Firefox. And IE, although I only open it about once every two months, for some website so badly coded fields overlap in Firefox.

Firefox is free at mozilla.org. It takes about 35 minutes to download on a dial-up, under 3 minutes on high-speed cable. Nobody asks you to register, provide a user name, give your email, etc. They never, ever contact you. The extensions are many and perform useful functions, for me anyway. It blocks pop-ups well; people at IMDb who complain about ads are seeing stuff I didn't even know existed for other users. The spellchecker is solid and you can add your own words to it. You do not need to delete IE to run Firefox, and you can have both browsers open at the same time if there's some reason to do that.

It's faster than IE, far less prone to viruses, spyware, and other malware, and is far more stable, with a crash or freeze being quite rare. Once you try it for a week or so, giving yourself time to adapt, you'll never go back to clunky old IE.

Maryn, total Firefox shill

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
ohh, I forgots the adds ons (In crazy voice)

if you want it, it exists for firefox. (near enough)

Want to take around that really cool video from youtube around without having to find it again? Mediaconverter
Or view hundreds of photos in just a minute? Cooliris
watch youtube vids without opening their pages and without the annoying commercials, Youtube view.

Its as cool as it gets. it would just be better with my NINJAS

We don’t try to tackle the problem alone. An international community of security experts is working around the clock to make your web browsing safer (thanks to our open source way of doing things). It’s like having your neighborhood watch led by a group of highly trained ninjas.

SEE SEE, they mentioned NINJAS Iz wantz myz ninjas....z.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Just don't get too carried away with the add-ons, some of them cause slowdowns and most of them will turn into pumpkins when you update the fox to a newer version. Then you have to tediously install all the newer versions of the add-ons.

I should add -- I use K-Meleon at home, but I use and encourage the use of Firefox at work.