Is there room for anything else in Christian fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eowyn Eomer

It seems that when I browse through the Christian fiction section, the vast majority of what I see are either Christian romance or End-Times fiction. I'm not usually that interested in romance novels, I did find a Christian series in that genre which I did enjoy. I'm even less fond of End-Times fiction.

Honestly, the kind of novels I would like to read in Christian Fiction don't seem to exist. I would like to read novels about family or about a person's journey through life, in a contemporary setting. Most Christian romance novels seem to take place in the past, End Times obviously take place in the future.

Are there other genres within Christian fiction out there? Is there room for them?

My top favorite genre is fantasy adventure. My second is family drama.

Has Christian fiction just not been around long?

dub

I like to think that I write Christian Murder Mysteries...

You might look for Terri Blackstock, or Alton Gansky, if you want to read some very good mystery type Christian material.

my thoughts in the swamp - dub

DrRita

Christian fictin is not new, just not as developed as secular fiction. Most Christian publishing houses aren't big enough to take many risks so they stay with the stuff they think will sell. Hence, not a wide variety. But I think that is changing. I know there are a couple of publishing houses who are starting to take some risks on sci-fi/fantasy. We just need to write what we'd like to read and then find a publishing house willing to take a chance.:nerd

Eowyn Eomer

A Christian sci-fi fantasy - now there's an interesting idea. It's possible to say Lord of the Rings would fall somewhat into that category, but it's not blatantly Christian. Perhaps The Chronicles of Narnia would fall into that category?

callalily61

I'm going gray trying to find an agent that will represent me to Christian publishers. Okay, the kids are partly responsible for the gray, too. :grin

Avoiding the scam artists is such fun, too. :grr

Lily (who has written what's basically a Christian Horror Searching-for-faith novel. Oy.)

DrRita

Do you have a copy of Sally Stuart's Christian Writer's al market Guide? Her website is: www.stuartmarket.com She has a whole section on Christian agents. I hope I'm not giving you info you have already. It's tough finding an agent. :head

skylarburris

No, there isn't room, because all of the major Christian publishing houses stick with dumbed-down stuff for the masses. I guess that's what sells, so why wouldn't they? If you write anything literary, or that is nuanced (rather than offering simplistic didacticism), the Christian houses aren't likely to publish you. Yet, if you write anything that is Christian, the secular houses aren't likely to publish you. So there is a real need for a market for literary, contemporary, Christian fiction. It just doesn't exist. However, this kind of fiction does sometimes break through and get published by the secular market. I would say that even some of Stephen King's later works have a Christian ring to them.

C.S. Lewis also has a science-fiction trilogy--but today, you don't have a serious Christian writer like C.S. Lewis. You have simplistic end-times fiction. Is it not being written or not being published? If you find quality Christian sci-fi, it probably won't be published by a Christian publishing house, but by a mainstream publisher. The same is true of contemporary Christian literature.

callalily61

Dr Rita:

No, I absolutely hadn't heard of this book! Thank you! :hail

Now it's simply a matter of when I fork over the $28 -- now or in Jan. when the new edition comes out.

Lily

Gravity

my stuff found a home...finally

I started writing a series for Christian men revolving around a newly-born-again private investigator. It was a tough sell. My agent worked like a Trojan, but most of the Christian houses said my work was far too gritty and/or edgy. Finally RiverOak, the fiction imprint from Cook, took a chance on Until the Last Dog Dies. It came out this past June and surprise, is doing well. Well enough that they bought the sequel, When Skylarks Fall, and it'll be out next year. Plus I just got contracted for two more. So yes, it can happen. I'm proof.

John

callalily61

Re: my stuff found a home...finally

Congratulations!!!

<span style="font-size:x-small;">Now what kind of bribe can I offer you and your agent to take a look at my book?</span>
;)

Betty W01

John, that's great! Congratulations!

Dancre

Hi Gang, Hi Betty,
It's been a while since i was here. I'm glad to see this Christian forum. And Congrats John!! it gives me hope that my novel will one day make it. it's also a bit "Gritty." i agree it's hard for christian writers to find agents. i've gone through 23 agents and 3 publishers so far. but of course my novel was poorly written so i think it's more of my lack of writing tech then a poor market. I'm fixing the tech area. ;) But the way i see it, if the Lord wants it published, then He'll get it published.
kim

Nazareth

Hi

Gravity, you say your book was 'edgy' , in what way? Was there swearing in it? or graphic violence? I'm working on a novel & have so far been avoiding swearing, however, there are many characters that just aren't 'in character' when they say 'darn' or express anger. I'm not really sure what the guidelines are for christian writing. I'm not exactly writing for hte christian market- but might concider it but would need to know what they concider 'gritty' or offensive.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
My stuff would considered edgy, I suppose, for two reasons. One, the lead series character, Joe Box, is a new Christian, bringing a lot of baggage into his walk. He's sarcastic, sometimes short-tempered, and a struggling alcoholic. Combine that with his propensity to get into violent situations, and my agent had her work cut out getting my stuff considered by the CBA. But God's good, and now my writing is being read by the public...and seemingly enjoyed, more's the wonder!

John

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kim, welcome back!! Glad you like this room and I hope it will be helpful in the future. I'm still trying to attract other Christian writers in here, so spread the word. Good luck with your book.

John, I read your book and I thought you did a great job of portraying a new Christian in a sometimes-gritty field, who used to be a soldier as well as a foul-mouthed drunk. I'm looking forward to your next one, and I hope you can get back the first title from You-Know-Who [PA rants may be directed to TIO].

revrew12

Re: Christian sci-fi fantasy

I've written in this field and have talked with key editors at Zondervan about it. Classic Christian sci-fi, such as Chronicles of Narnia and Madeline L'Engle's stuff holds well, but the big problem seems to be sales. The editors at Zondervan really liked my writing, but said, "We've tried in the past, but the books didn't sell. We're trying ONE (emphasis mine) sci-fi author right now. If this guy can break down some doors, we may be open to more in the future."

There are smaller publishers who have published Christian fantasy/sci-fi, and some of the big ones have one or two authors in that genre on their list. But if it doesn't sell...well...they ARE publishers.

I can speculate that sci-fi/fantasy is a predominately male-interest market and Christian fiction is, like, 99.85% female buyers, thus explaining the numbers. I might speculate that sci-fi/fantasy is a more significantly youth/teen market and Christian parents are too wary of the entire genre to purchase fantasy books. I can speculate all day long, but until someone can break down some doors and open new markets, the big Christian fiction markets belong to female-targeted books with high relationship/romance elements.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you familiar with Kathy Tyer's Firebird series? Christian worldview sci fi and very well-done.

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
I think the key to getting a break through is for these publishers to understand what is selling out in the secular and not try to squelch the creativity for the Christian market. It's a fine line but I know there are plenty of Christians like myself who love sci-fi fantasy and have had to read secular, humanist writers for years because the Christian market won't publish anything that doesn't fit a very narrow criteria. I don't agree with 80% of the world views of the secular christian sci-fi fantasy writers but their writing is generally better.

Maine Runner

Christian Family Drama

Eowyn,
If you like family drama, you may want to try Karen Kingsbury's Redemtion Series. Excellent books! All about a large christian family in Indiana (I think Indiana) and all the typical, and not so typical problems that families face. Infideltiy, sudden death of loved ones, assorted tragedies, cancer...you get the idea. Check them out!

Steve

Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent

revrew12

Betty W01 said:
Are you familiar with Kathy Tyer's Firebird series? Christian worldview sci fi and very well-done.

I'll be totally honest about it--I've never read it. But this past week, I remembered your post when I came across a copy of Firebird in a used bookstore. I picked it up with every intention of reading it, but eventually put it back on the shelf. The back cover and promotional quotes, etc. came across as so heavy-handed Christianese that I feared I would be disappointed by yet another Christian novel laced with sappy, unrealistic sentimentality and "the world is so rosy now that I'm a Christian" conversion moments. Is that a fair criticism? NO! I've never read the book. But as long as Christian publishers market their sci-fi fantasy the way Firebird was marketed, I don't think many sci-fi fantasy enthusiasts are going to pick up their titles.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An excellent example of not judging a book by its cover..

I dislike sappy, cheesy Christian novels, I love sci fi, and I thought Firebird was good. Give it a chance sometime. Of course, mileage may vary <shrug> but I thought she did a nice job of embedding Christian symbolism in a sci fi world without coming across as too preachy.

Orson Scott Card (a Mormon) says that scifi is the last fictional frontier for Christian symbolism (paraphrased a bit, since I don't have the book I read it in handy). Comments? Anyone?

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
i've been reading jake thoene's book "Shaiton's Fire" which is a christian mystery/thriller. he reminds me of stephen coontz. but i agree with you all, i hate christian books in which everyone is happy, happy, happy. being a christian is HARD, but worth it. i also don't enjoy christian novels that are poorly written, yet advertised as the next best thing. it just grates my nerves.

oh and maestro, if you're still here, i read the first chapter of your book on your website. the novel looks scrumptious. can't wait to get my greasy hands on it. when is it coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.