I Just Found my Voice

Ciera_

It's 12:30 and I have school tomorrow, but I'm up WRITING.
I know, we've all heard and said that a million times, right? Not me, not lately. I've been trying and failing to conjure up any enthusiasm for writing lately, and I've literally been stuck on one short scene for months. Not to mention that I've been second guessing every word on the page. No, not second guessing, quadruple guessing before moving on to a different paragraph for a while, frustrated as heck.
And twenty minutes ago I realized that I was writing. I finished the silly little bothersome scene in a couple of minutes and am now moving on with the story at a decent pace. A trot, even.
But best of all, I noticed that the words appearing on the screen before me have VOICE! My voice! My MC is thinking with a real personality, and I'm writing those thoughts in my own voice. Not just resorting to sarcasm as I've always felt compelled to do for voice, but a real voice. The kind that I think will really engage the reader, because when I read over it for a third or fourth time, it still pulls me in.
I just wanted to show anyone with writers' block that there IS hope, that you CAN just suddenly snap out of it one day and get back in the groove. I haven't been writing long, only about a year, but I'm pretty sure now that winter is my biggest problem as a writer. But as the beginning of spring bore down further and further upon me, I started to doubt that I'd ever get back into the swing of things.
But here I am, back on track. And damn, does it feel good!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
If you keep pumping that handle, sooner or later the water will come. :) I've been forcing myself lately too, and though I haven't broken through into "the zone" at least writing is being accomplished.

Ciera_

Thanks to everyone for their enthusiasm! I just hope I can keep it up, but I have a feeling the next few months are going to be very productive for me.

dragonkid

Beware of killer butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
This is fantastic, Ciera! It’s a terrific feeling when your words draw you into your own story. Here’s to a productive, voice-filled spring! :D