How to track a specific sailboat?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, I'll admit: this is not research for the book I'm working on. Actually, it's personal.

I spent the first five years of my life on a 40-foot sailboat which went up and down the west coast of the US. My parents sold it and we moved to land when I started school. For sentimental reasons I've often thought about trying to track it down - try to find out who owned it, where it went, and if it's still around.

Anyone have any idea where to start with this? I know boats have licenses... does the number stay the same? I know some of our sails had numbers on them... if I could dig up some photos of those, would that help? Is there some sort of state registry that might help?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think you'll need to know which west coast state your parents registered the boat in, but I found this FAQ list: http://egov.oregon.gov/OSMB/BoatReg/FAQs.shtml . It's from Oregon State, but I assume most of the general info is much the same from state-to-state, for consistency. Looks like you'll need any numbers you can find/remember off the boat/sails. Even if you sent the info to every state boat registry on the coast, there's not that many states. Do you remember your parents mentioning any particular home-port? Maybe painted on the stern?

xaine5150

Registered
Reaction score
I believe you'd want to get in touch with a coast guard marine safety office. Its actually rare for me not to have specific information about the coast guard since I'm a member who loves his job, but I think these are the guys to talk to.
I happen to have an MSO near where I'm stationed and know a couple of guys who work there. I'll talk to them and see if they can give you info about the boat and what they'd need to track it down.
I'm pretty sure they'd need at least the hull registry number. PM that to me and I'll try and get back to you in the next couple of days.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Your folks are around? Do they know about your interest? Selling a 40-ft boat and giving up your whole lifestyle is a big thing. They may, in fact, remember the seller. Or the registration number. People remember ID numbers, and car liscense plate numbers, they may well have the boat's number in their heads.