This lady's got TALENT!

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this on another site and had to share - this lady was on Britain's version of American Idol - you can see the audience is expecting her to be horrible, but..surprise!

Susan Boyle

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Just saw this on another site and had to share - this lady was on Britain's version of American Idol - you can see the audience is expecting her to be horrible, but..surprise!

Susan Boyle

She was absolutely stunning. What a voice. She certainly gave Cowell a surprise.

She looks like my mum did twenty years ago :) And she's Scottish too :)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that, too. She did a fantastic job.

Anyone remember Paul Potts?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it elsewhere earlier. Absolutely stunning. One of my favorite songs from Les Miz and she sang it just as well as the person who sang it when I saw it in London. :Hail:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
pretty impressive

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the longer version, Beach Bunny. Though I am not sure tears in my coffee is what I am supposed to be adding to it in the morning. :tongue

Thank you. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I was praying she'd be good, considering the audience's initial response to her and the readiness to mock her. I nearly cried when she started singing. It was lovely.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. There's a very pointed article about that reaction here that about covered my opinion of the audience.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/16/britains-got-talent-susan-boyle

Great link. I was shocked at how openly disdainful people were without even hearing her sing. Hopefully, it's a good kick up the arse for everybody who writes people like her off before they know anything about them. I thought she was endearing, despite the pointed editing and would have liked her even if she had have been terrible.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Same here. There's a very pointed article about that reaction here that about covered my opinion of the audience.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/16/britains-got-talent-susan-boyle

What a beautiful editorial about the ugliness of the human being... and so right: it wasn't Susan who was ugly in that auditorium. But it's not just Britain who's got malice... I can imagine a whole lotta folks from a whole lotta places laughing at her, too, as they clicked to start the YouTube clip - until she opened her mouth and that incredible voice came out.

I dreamed a dream, too... that maybe, someday, people will learn that you don't have to be beautiful to be beautiful, and ugly is ugly no matter how pleasing it might be to the eye.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score

What a great article.
I see it this way: Susan Boyle knew who she was - undeterred and unintimidated by Simon's or anyone's so-called fame - she stood, she sang, she conquered. This woman seemed to step out of her own world and into ours. It wasn't that she was out of place, in both a fashion or beauty sense, but that her's was a different priority and she showed how easily the former pale in light of true talent.

My only fear now is that the What Not To Wears and other beauty hawks will descend on her and make her more "TV worthy." I hope she resists and stays as natural and beautiful as her voice.