madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I woke up to find this in my mail box:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6651092.html?nid=3336

A Robe of Feathers: And Other StoriesThersa Matsuura. Counterpoint (PGW, dist.), $14.95 paper (192p) ISBN 9781582434896
Inspired by Japanese folklore, Matsuura’s debut story collection is as clever as the mythical spirits and creatures who romp through her fable-like tales. Although her penchant is for the malevolent and unforgiving, , the humans who populate these seventeen stories are seldom innocent victims. Even when led astray by otherworldly tricksters (such as the oni in “The Seed of the Mistake”) or tortured by spiteful gods (like the God of Smallpox in “Yaichiro’s Battle”), it is the humans’ flaws – greed, cowardice, lack of compassion – that make them vulnerable. Matsuura depicts such failings insightfully, and, at her best, reveals them gradually. In a world brimming with shape-shifters, ghosts, and devils, belief in luck and superstition is rational and even skeptics soon become believers, but these are stories about the choices ordinary people make, and the sometimes devastating consequences of those choices. Although some of Matsuura’s denouements are weak, and others overwritten, her prose is mostly tight and her characters well-crafted. The captivating stories gathered here offer lively glimpses of Japanese culture, urban and rural, present and past. (May)

Yes, there is one line in there....but being my first-ever review for my first-ever book, I'm all bubbly inside. :e2bouncey

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Dragon, Chaos, Callalilly, thank youuuu!!

Recently I was reading reviews of classics on Goodreads and noticed that there are quite a few people who can't stand (gasp!) even Lolita. So, -- not putting myself in any category that contains Nabokov -- I decided to just consider the not-so-favorable-stuff as something to examine and work on. Denoument...denoument... Got it!

Last edited:

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! :D

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
FWIW, I've yet to see a review from PW that didn't say at least one bad thing. I think it's part of the rules. ;)

:hooray: Congrats, though! Lots of bits to pull out of there for promo material!

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Adz and Cathy, thank you!

And Cathy, I went through and read some of the other reviews and noticed a pattern. And great idea about getting promo material together. I was just working on contacting my local newspaper back home and was thinking...I need a press release kit! PW had some good timing.

terrie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif
smiley-happy096.gif
poze.gif

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
That is a great review. You should be proud, congratulations.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Wayne, Stormie, and Big Daddy, many thank yous. :snoopy:

Aston, I do hope that story is being written into a book. It sounds intriguing!

~terrie

Mrs. Strange

Water resistant
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a wonderful review and it sounds like a great book. Congratulations!