Anyone know a decent American Civil War PC game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a PC Real Time Strategy Game set in the American Civil War?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of Command and Conquer or Cossacks. I'm not so keen on the Total War style games because you loose all direct control as soon as the battle starts. If anyone has played Imperial Glory I don't mind that style.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Sid Meyer did a couple of decent games, though they focus on single battles rather than the entire war. I think he did Gettysburg and Anteitam.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Empire: Total War is only 100 years before the Civil War!

And if there is not an expansion pack for the game that adds in the Civil War within a year, I'm going to eat my own shoes.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

It would be interesting to play a game which showed the evolution of tactics from the formation fighting of Bull Run to the battlefield fortifications of later years. I'm not sure if anyone has yet produced a game which deals with trench warfare.

Plus, how would you simulate the scorched earth campaigns of Sherman and Sheridan?

Abraham

Registered
Reaction score
Sid Meyer did a couple of decent games, though they focus on single battles rather than the entire war. I think he did Gettysburg and Anteitam.

I remember the Civil War scenario for Civilization 2 still.

I also remember getting my ass kicked no matter which side I played.

I did win the Revolutionary War one though.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I've never seen a great RTS for the entire civil war. Meier's Gettysburg illustrates the exact problems you'd have with it.

First, Civil War buffs are history buffs. They want the exact names of the units, accurate ratings on skill, experience, equipment, morale, etc.

I don't think you'd be able to capture the folks who love the Civil War with an RTS. At the same time, even if you could come up with a rules engine for a Warcraft-in-Virginia game, I think the scenarios and powerup/upgrades would be so limited as to give you a very short playtime on the game.

I don't know. Could be wrong. But that's my take on it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
There is a time travel game coming out wherein you go around and fix various things that have gone wrong.

But you CAN'T use anachronistic weapons if you are being seen by people who can go out and tell others.

So, in the Civil War parts of the game, you use a flintlock...but if you're in the right circumstance, you can whip out the plasma rifle.

Abraham

Registered
Reaction score
An RTS similar to the old Close Combat series would probably satisfy Civil War buffs and probably be interesting too.

Speaking of which, do they still make Close Combat or are there any games similar to them out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.