Agent requested exlcusive on a partial

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
...but I had a request for a full just before she asked for the exclusive partial. I got these requests within an hour of each other, so I haven't sent them out yet. I don't like the idea of giving an exclusive on three chapters, especially when someone has requested the full. Should I send the full ms (that was the first request anyway) and let the other agent know that the full is already out? Or should I grant the exclusive first and let the other agent know that it will be two weeks before I can send the full?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I would send the full first and deal with the partial after (you'll probably be told to send it anyway). Full exclusives are bad enough. Partial exclusives should not be granted.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Send out the full to the agent who asked for it, and notify the agent who wants exclusivity on the partial that another agent already has the full and would she still be interested in seeing the partial anyway.

ETA: I agree with Vandal--exclusives on partials--nope.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Assuming that both agents are more or less equal in desirability, I'd send the full -- it's not that easy to get a request for a full, and I'd take advantage of it.

When I was querying, I had several requests for partials with exclusives. Since I already had things out, I had to decline those requests, and every case the agent in question said fine, send it anyway.

I did have one agent request a full with exclusive, and when I said that was not possible at the time, she said to send it when it became available as an exclusive. But in my experience, agents tend to be more understanding and flexible with partials.

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I would send the full and then send the partial, along with a note explaining that while you can grant an exclusive, you can only do so for a limited time (say two weeks) because you had a request for a full prior to the exclusive request.

There is little chance of getting a response to the full within two weeks...or even four.

I'm sure the agent will understand, since you are giving him/her what they wanted, and a time limit on a partial is not unreasonable, in my opinion.

Never grant an exclusive without a time limit...unless it's your only request and the agent is really top notch. Even so, I wouldn't do it.