PDA

View Full Version : Number One Ladies' Detective Agency (HBO/BBC miniseries)

Kitty Pryde
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I love it. Jill Scott is seriously amazing. (I love her anyway, but eh, she wasn't that great in 'Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married') Her acting is great and her Botswanan accent is really impressive. The rest of the cast is quite good as well.

The visuals on the show are gorgeous. I could watch this show with the sound off. It's filmed on location, so all the scenery is beautiful. The town setting is really engrossing. And the music is so incredible. The action and the acting are totally gripping. And it's very funny. I haven't read any of the books the show is based on yet, but I will definitely be checking them out now. /end gushing.

My only complaints would be the addition of the universal hollywood convention that a gorgeous and charming female character who is larger than size six must always apologize for and/or lament her largeness. i call bullsh*t on that! you never ever see a beautiful skinny woman in tv/film feeling bad because she has no curves. Besides that, the plot is just a tiny bit twee. And the MC seems amazingly liberal and worldly even though they state that she grew up in a teensy agricultural village in the middle of nowhere, botswana (my better half claims the MC is just supposed to be super naive. But how can you be naive and yet always be right about all your assumptions?).

Anybody seen it yet? What do you think of it?

James81
04-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Haven't see it, but I just bought the first book in the series by James Patterson.

Kitty Pryde
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I think you are maybe thinking of the Women's Murder Club. The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency is by Alexander McCall Smith.

dancingandflying
04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
I've been watching it. I think it's a fun show to watch: the visuals are beautiful, the characters are engaging, the mysteries are clever and enjoyable. It's not genius, but it's definitely something I like watching.

d&f.

blacbird
04-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Yet they have nice fun with the euphemism of "a woman of traditional size". I haven't yet read the books (though I intend to, soon), but is that little conceit part of them?

And the woman who plays the secretary is an absolute hoot, in addition to being supernaturally attractive while purporting not to be.

99% of fictional series on TV aren't this good.

caw

Kitty Pryde
04-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Yet they have nice fun with the euphemism of "a woman of traditional size". I haven't yet read the books (though I intend to, soon), but is that little conceit part of them?

And the woman who plays the secretary is an absolute hoot, in addition to being supernaturally attractive while purporting not to be.

99% of fictional series on TV aren't this good.

caw

Yeah, the woman playing the secretary (Anika Noni Rose) has great comic timing (and lots of silly lines). I'm actually getting really excited to see (err, hear) her as the princess in Disney's The Princess and the Frog cartoon movie (she'll be Disney's first ever black princess! woo! it only took them 72 years!)