Character/ personal question....

Mythical Tiger

I RUN WITH THE TIGERS
Registered
Reaction score
Deep in the woods, running with the Tigers......
I know this is going to sound weird, but, does anyone here have eyes that change color? Or knows somebody whos eyes can? I was wondering because my eyes can change color and do it often. I don't wear contacts and have perfect eye sight. Now, this is going to sound double weird and probably impossible, but, my eye color changes with my mood a lot.

Because of this, it gave me an idea for my MC in my current WIP. So, that leads to my next question, does any of your special traits get absorbed by your character?

Thanks!

~Sam

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
One of my family has colour changing eyes. It's not that uncommon among people with hazel eyes and isn't related to eyesight problems.

Caito

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anyone with verifiably changy-eyes, but one of my sisters has two differently colored eyes.

AngelRoseDarke

Kind-hearted stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelrosedarke.110mb.com
My son and his father both have eyes that change color. On his license my ex has his listed as gray. Their colors tend to change with mood as well as the weather.

I often have characters that take on my traits or those of people I know.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I'm very skeptical about any dramatic changes in eye color. I do know that color perception can vary throughout the day. Most people don't notice it because they use both eyes equally. But my eyes have always gone their own separate ways. One is dominant, the other wanders, so I see double but my brain phases out the wanderer. If I close one and then open it and close the other quickly, I see two slightly different worlds. One is warmer toned, the other cooler. Which eye is "warm" or "cool" depends on what I've been looking at for how long, and which eye I've been using most (I keep the dominant eye closed a lot now because it has a blind spot and the other eye doesn't).

I have a minor character whose eyes are like mine. Might make use of him some time, but for now it serves to lighten up a scene in which the MC has a bad case of nervous foreboding.
"Euhh. So that's it." Morazhen settled himself on a cushion. "Yes, that would explain a thing or two. She must have been the one that rummaged in his things. That's a nice black eye you have, young fellow." He chuckled wheezily and poked the fire that the women had built up.

"I ran into a fist. But I scared it off." Radovin had to laugh despite his tension. He knew he was a pretty sight. Morazhen's eyes never looked the same way at the same time. Ottavar said that let him see things that other people missed. It had to be better than having one half shut.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I know of people whose blue eyes become more striking when they wear a top of that colour. Also a friend has purple eyes and that colour is only apparent when he wore similar colours.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I think the pigment cells might do some expanding and contracting. Not as good as a chameleon, but it's somethin' if you can notice it. The contextual clothing-color changes are due to perception -- color can be as much in the eye of the beholder as beauty.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I have pale blue eyes that change to grayish or bright blue depending on my clothes or if I get really worked up about something. I've actually never had a character do that because I thought it'd be hard to suspend disbelief over.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My friend's son has eyes that can be green, hazel or light brown. I don't know if it depends on his mood, the room lighting, the time of day or cycles of the moon, but his eyes definitely change colour. I've seen it.

Krisela

Lurkaholic
Registered
Reaction score
My eyes are hazel, and sometimes they seem to shift colour a bit, from dark brown to amber to green. But they don't actually change colour, they just look different in different lights. It's pretty common with hazel eyes. I don't think mood has anything to do with it. :)

Reaction score
Though my own eyes are different colours, rainbow-eyes make me think of Twilight, so just. Don't. Frickin'. Do it.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
mine change, it depends on what I'm wearing or what color eye makeup I'm wearing, lightish green or blue.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very skeptical about any dramatic changes in eye color. I do know that color perception can vary throughout the day.

Seconded.

My eyes don't morph color from brown to green, but they might be quite blue one day, and abysmally grey the next. I mainly attribute this to the weather, i.e. the amount of light at a given time and if I've got more tears than usual (due to pollen or wind, for example). Sometimes when I'm sad they look grey, but it's not hard to interpret a darker color for a darker mood.

It's definitely easier to see different colors in eyes with less melanin. No one in my family (immediate or extended) has ever had brown eyes, so we've got countless generations to give our eyes weird color amalgamations. I have yellow specks in my eyes; my brothers both have pine green eyes with truly white flecks (but then, they have pretty poor eyesight.) :p

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
My eyes change colors. They don't do it quickly though, it takes almost a year for a change from start to finish.

They morph between brilliant green to dark hazel, and spend about three years in either color. They are green right now... I think. The change starts on the outside of the iris and pushes in leaving a star shap [ETA SHAPE] of the last color that just shrinks until its gone.

Most people think I have contacts, and I've had to touch my eye more than once to show that I don't. You know, the fact that I wear glasses should have been a hint but...

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
My eyes are hazel. They look greener if I wear light colors or when I'm crying, but more brown most other times.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eye color is genetically determined, however it can change with time (with age) or with disease. If the color appears to be changing on an hourly, daily, or even weekly basis, it is likely due to changes in appearance related to ambient lighting or the colors of what is surrounding the eyes (clothing, make-up). Here are a couple of relevant web articles. Note there may be some slight changes in eye color that are related to sun exposure (the kind of exposure that causes changes in skin pigmentation—e.g. tanning), and those may change back on a similar time scale. But the pigment cells are not going to change shape (like chromatophores of octopus and other animals that undergo dramatic color changes) or migrate around to change eye color.

http://www.personalmd.com/news/a1997052701.shtml

http://www.wonderquest.com/eye-color-age.htm

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
It could just be another character's perception of the color, not the actual color changing. Mine are a very dark brown, but I've had people describe them as black - and one person who swore they were maroon. (!) I think he was thinking of Hannibel Lecter...

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
I know this is going to sound weird, but, does anyone here have eyes that change color?

~Sam

Usually my eyes change color when someone makes me angry. Nobody really likes me when I'm angry. I also wear purple pants and take on odd shade of either gray or green shortly thereafter. ;)

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
One of my family has colour changing eyes. It's not that uncommon among people with hazel eyes and isn't related to eyesight problems.

Yup. My eyes are hazel and change color often. On several occasions, one has been a true green and the other brown.

Whether they *truly* change, or whether it's just the lighting...I have no idea. But it's definitely noticable.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My brother's eyes change from blue to gray to green depending on the light and what he's wearing.

Depending on the light or what I'm wearing, my eyes change from a light reddish brown to almost black. My eyes also have a slight tinge of green, but it's not really noticeable at a respectable distance. :D

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting! Cool actually. I have green eyes that, on close examination, have specks of yellow and orange in them. But, they don't really change colour as you speak of.
Yes, my characters take on some of my characteristics. Sometimes a physical thing here or there, but usually an emotional flaw. Can't help myself.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool question. I'm going to shift this over to Story Research and Experts.