Whatcha doin' at this very moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the animals. We only have a dog, and he's inside with us...has to be...he's a big baby (and spoiled to boot)!!!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Morning!!! I slept in, and THAT is no small thing. Hubby worked local yesterday (first time in ages) and came home last night. There is no work for them today because of the rain, so he's still in there sleeping like a baby. (collective "awwwww")

Now I'm working on my first gargantuan cuppa coffee.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Carole...ya here?

How's your weather?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Storygirl, I just read your post. I can't believe you still have power this morning! We got a lot of rain (still getting it) but I guess i slept through the worst of it last night.

Oh. And I got to drag 6 contractor bags of garbage from packing to the curb this morning...in my nightie, no less.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Oh there you are. Ha, first cup...don't mean to brag, but I'm on my fourth!

No sleeping in thanks to storm and kids who believe that's when boogey men come out!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My brother used to have the funniest thing he'd say in a storm. Bear in mind that he is 2 years older than me so I don't remember it. But mom says he'd run around screaming "Chunner, mommmy! CHUNNER!" (chunner being thunder) He'd probably kill me for that.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
HEY! I have a question. On the topic of writing, believe it or not! My brother has started writing the FUNNIEST book. OMG I just die laughing all through it, BUT. His grammar is horrific! He is a very well educated guy, but for some reason that just doesn't translate through his writing.

This book is about his childhood and all his friends, and even those who have never met him or his friends think he is really on to something.

So here's the problem:

I think this book would be worth finishing, but he will NOT accept any critique. He has this mentality that he is the caretaker of the world so anyone giving him any advice is like telling him he is not capable of doing his job...whatever that job happens to be.

He's not arrogant about it at all. he just wants to forget about it now that he knows his writing isn't perfect as-is.

Does anyone have any advice about how to encourage him while also letting him know it's normal to not be perfect??

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Okay, so it was two ziplock bags, electrical tape, scissors, the sink, and I just leaned it against a stack of wood already in place. I put a towel in and showed mama who promptly began herding the little ones towards it.

I gave the outside dog two towels to lay on and hope that helps some. He can stay where it is covered but the wind is causing him to get wet.

Carole, the only thought that went through my head was that publishers have editors because almost every work isn't polished when it arrives at the publishing company.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
tjwriter said:
Okay, so it was two ziplock bags, electrical tape, scissors, the sink, and I just leaned it against a stack of wood already in place. I put a towel in and showed mama who promptly began herding the little ones towards it.

I gave the outside dog two towels to lay on and hope that helps some. He can stay where it is covered but the wind is causing him to get wet.

Awww...bless their little hearts! My dog is going nuts with every roll of thunder. It scares her to death.

Carole, the only thought that went through my head was that publishers have editors because almost every work isn't polished when it arrives at the publishing company.

Yeah...I have tried to tell him that. For the most part, his writing is fine. He just has problems with there as opposed to their and they're...that sort of thing, but it's all through the story.

I'd love to be able to encourage him while also preparing him for the fact that it would have to be edited.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
He's not arrogant about it at all. he just wants to forget about it now that he knows his writing isn't perfect as-is.

Does anyone have any advice about how to encourage him while also letting him know it's normal to not be perfect??

Show him an example of one your first drafts. If that's not good enough, I'll lend you a couple pages of mine. The many marks, slashes, corrections take up the whole pages and you can barely see the typed words through all the blue pen. If that doesn't make him feel better about his writing...nothing will.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Are you trying to tell me that MY work needs work?! Sheesh! And here I thought mine was perfection. Blast it all.

Actually, that's a really good idea. Maybe he'll be open to it.

By the way...where's Ms. firenice??

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
My first drafts look like a blue pen leaked all over the page...that's what I meant...not yours. I wouldn't dare insult another writer...unless I haven't had my coffee or nicotine fix lately...I've had both, so you're safe.

BTW what do you write?

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
storygirl said:
My first drafts look like a blue pen leaked all over the page...that's what I meant...not yours. I wouldn't dare insult another writer...unless I haven't had my coffee or nicotine fix lately...I've had both, so you're safe.

BTW what do you write?

What do you mean, you insult me all the time.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
What do you mean, you insult me all the time.
Shhhhhh.
I'm trying to convince these people that I'm nice! I can't have you mucking up my perfectly good lies with your honesty, now can I?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Don't tempt me....

Ok, first I gotta go find it.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm supposed to SAVE my first drafts?!

Yikes!!!!!!! I've been treating the first drafts like blind dates. I got through them but that doesn't mean I EVER want to see them again.

Can I keep the second drafts and call it even?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
~**~laughing at you silly wabbits!~**~

I wouldn't even know where to begin with "What do you write?"

Actually, I mostly write non-fiction. My first is dangerously close to having enough finished to begin the agent search. I have 5 chapters written, and 3 of them are making me smile lately. This darn thing has grown so much bigger than I originally planned. It seems like every time I have a handle on my outline, new information falls out of the sky into my lap and I have to rework it. There's going to have to be a cut-off point somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. This is a very controversial book and I am kinda spooked about putting it out there.

I have 3 other books started that aren't nearly as controversial, and they are metaphysical. One is about the benefits of being a closeted witch. Two of them are the beginnings of a series. I've put the series idea out there with editor who accepted my article and she thinks it is a great idea, but I haven't talked with the BOOK editor yet. (They are both with the same publisher - Llewellyn) Hopefully when we finish with this move I'll be back in a writing place again.

Status
Not open for further replies.