An Easter pet peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
You know you're a hardcore writer when you spend a portion of Easter Sunday explaining the "catalysts" and "supporting characters" to a five-year-old.

But darn it, I was upset with the preschool show she was watching (Pinky Dinky Doo, I think is the title). For those of you who haven't seen this show, it's about a little girl who tells stories with some moral value like sharing or teamwork. And at the end of the episode, she reviews the story and quizzes the viewers.

This particular episode was about the girl and her friends entering a cooking show, and arguing about what to make. In the end, teamwork helped them to make a dish and it won the cooking show prize.

At the end of the episode, the girl explained that all stories had main characters. And she called the girl and her friends main characters, but then she also called the cooking show judge a main character. Why? The show was in no way about him, nor was it from his perspective. In fact he only appeared once and had one line. He was not a main character. He was a catalyst. Of course I don't expect preschool programming to teach children about catalysts, but if you're going to teach something then get it right. The people who WROTE that episode are WRITERS. Don't they know the difference?

Maybe it's unlikely that most preschoolers will retain this "main character" information anyway at the age of learning so many new things all at once, but it bugged me. In elementary school I constantly had teachers giving me writing-related information that was wrong or that had more than one possible answer and it set me back a few steps. If you're going to teach students about stories and writing, at least give correct information.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

Watching TV since I started writing has become a nightmare. I can't stop myself pointing out plot holes, blatant foreshadowing, Deus Ex endings... :)

It's a curse, I tells ya!

Last edited:

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
You know you're a hardcore writer when you spend a portion of Easter Sunday explaining the "catalysts" and "supporting characters" to a five-year-old.

But darn it, I was upset with the preschool show she was watching (Pinky Dinky Doo, I think is the title). For those of you who haven't seen this show, it's about a little girl who tells stories with some moral value like sharing or teamwork. And at the end of the episode, she reviews the story and quizzes the viewers.

This particular episode was about the girl and her friends entering a cooking show, and arguing about what to make. In the end, teamwork helped them to make a dish and it won the cooking show prize.

At the end of the episode, the girl explained that all stories had main characters. And she called the girl and her friends main characters, but then she also called the cooking show judge a main character. Why? The show was in no way about him, nor was it from his perspective. In fact he only appeared once and had one line. He was not a main character. He was a catalyst. Of course I don't expect preschool programming to teach children about catalysts, but if you're going to teach something then get it right. The people who WROTE that episode are WRITERS. Don't they know the difference?

Maybe it's unlikely that most preschoolers will retain this "main character" information anyway at the age of learning so many new things all at once, but it bugged me. In elementary school I constantly had teachers giving me writing-related information that was wrong or that had more than one possible answer and it set me back a few steps. If you're going to teach students about stories and writing, at least give correct information.

Not to defend pre-school television (it wasn't allowed in my house), but supporting vs main characters is quite a bit for a preschooler to absorb. Of course the show should have referred to them all as characters, but that's TV for you. Did I mention that I hate to see preschooler watch TV?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
It depends on the show - some of them aren't just junk. My 3 1/2 year old adores SpongeBob, but has no patience for the shows aimed at him. And in general, Pinky Dinky Do is the pits IMHO. I hated having to watch it when my daughter was in that stage...

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Not to defend pre-school television (it wasn't allowed in my house), but supporting vs main characters is quite a bit for a preschooler to absorb. Of course the show should have referred to them all as characters, but that's TV for you. Did I mention that I hate to see preschooler watch TV?

"characters" would have been acceptable, but "main character" is flat out wrong.

Anyway, they aren't my kids but they watch a Noggin show here and there and are quite intelligent and happy.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the show - some of them aren't just junk. My 3 1/2 year old adores SpongeBob, but has no patience for the shows aimed at him. And in general, Pinky Dinky Do is the pits IMHO. I hated having to watch it when my daughter was in that stage...

The five-year-old can be taken to the theatre to watch stuff like Madagascar and Disney flicks, and that's much more bearable, but when her little sister is in the room we stick to preschool stuff like Pinky Dinky and Dora. I've noticed the older one can get bored and go off to play elsewhere, but she sometimes watches.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
We used to put Noggin on for the Boy but he was only interested in the shows' theme music. He's influenced by his sister, so he watches SpongeBob and iCarly (which I have to admit, I really like. It's not a dumbed down show at all, just flat-out funny) and Fairly Oddparents and that's pretty much it (though he does like ER and Las Vegas re-runs when he's home sick from school.) :D

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
We used to put Noggin on for the Boy but he was only interested in the shows' theme music. He's influenced by his sister, so he watches SpongeBob and iCarly (which I have to admit, I really like. It's not a dumbed down show at all, just flat-out funny) and Fairly Oddparents and that's pretty much it (though he does like ER and Las Vegas re-runs when he's home sick from school.) :D

When we have our sleepover parties, the five-year-old gets to pick out a special movie for us to watch when little sis goes to bed. It's most always Hannah Montana. It's not my favorite thing to watch but at least I can't see where the whole plot is going 25 seconds in. Plus she gets up and dances when there are musical interludes so she's having a blast.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score

Ha i loves me some Icarly. that show has some humor for all ages, biting remarks for me and my mom, Sam beating the snot out of anything that moves for the kids.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Anything with "Pink" in it is prob pretty sick, IMO. :tongue

Missing the point, maybe? It's a Mary Sue world, all feelgood warmfuzzy winwin. All characters must be main characters, just as the little klutzes must win the prize. Teamwork is fine, as long as everybody is a team leader.

Thank whatever I am spared all the slimy brainsuck of the Evil Grandmother.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Anything with "Pink" in it is prob pretty sick, IMO. :tongue

Missing the point, maybe? It's a Mary Sue world, all feelgood warmfuzzy winwin. All characters must be main characters, just as the little klutzes must win the prize. Teamwork is fine, as long as everybody is a team leader.

Thank whatever I am spared all the slimy brainsuck of the Evil Grandmother.

...Um.... ?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Explaining it is a good thing. My son was ranting to me the other day about a school reading assignment. I had him tell me what he hated about the book. It lead to a discussion about infodumps and back story. Book = sucky, but was valuable for him to read as he learned what not to do. So the show discussion was sucky, but from your convo, the 5yo probably learned something valuable.

Psst: and I love iCarly too. So much so that I named a character in my novel Cosgrove. :D

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest you avoid Rinky Dinky Doo. For some reason, that show annoyed the HELL out of me. I don't know if you should be happy she's teaching five year olds stuff you learn in high school.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna add my love for iCarly as well. It's one of the few shows on Nick that doesn't make me want to puke in my shoes. It's a pretty good show. Even my husband will watch and get a crack out of it, which is saying something, lol.

Tomo, if it makes you feel *any* better, my second grader had a quarter on story structure, and it was actually accurate. I was pleased. They didn't delve into main characters versus supporting characters or anything, but what they did get into was well-done.

All is not lost, at least not yet. :D

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Tomo, if it makes you feel *any* better, my second grader had a quarter on story structure, and it was actually accurate. I was pleased. They didn't delve into main characters versus supporting characters or anything, but what they did get into was well-done.

It just makes me wonder what else preschool shows are getting wrong. Right now she has decided she wants to be a teacher (her mom is a special needs/early development teacher) and ANYTHING she learns she later teaches to her dolls. She does retain a lot of facts.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna add my love for iCarly as well. It's one of the few shows on Nick that doesn't make me want to puke in my shoes. It's a pretty good show. Even my husband will watch and get a crack out of it, which is saying something, lol.

All is not lost, at least not yet. :D

iCarly, made me barf. It's so difficult for my sister NOT to cram so much of that recorded stuff in my DVR. Nothing in iCarly made any logical sense, and the characters were just plain stupid.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Most* preschool shows stick to animals, shapes, colors, and numbers, so not much is probably inaccurate, really.

Dora/Deigo and Ni Hao Ki-Lan use foreign languages, so that could possibly be inaccurate. I don't speak enough Spanish (and NO Mandarin, which is what I believe is in Ki-Lan) to judge properly.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
iCarly, made me barf. It's so difficult for my sister NOT to cram so much of that recorded stuff in my DVR. Nothing in iCarly made any logical sense, and the characters were just plain stupid.

Different strokes and all that. :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stupid? On the whole I find the show rather witty in a sly sort of way. Chocolate and vanilla.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score

You're not the target audience...

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SpongeBob is the new Rocky and Bullwinkle. It has something for all ages.

Chowder is just bizarre enought to hook me (Radda, radda).

iCarly is okay, but a bit repetitive. The kids like it, though.

I get happy every once in a while when Little Fizzy puts on Animal Planet or the National Geographic channel - but it's mostly when some carnivorous or poisonous animal is the topic.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest you avoid Rinky Dinky Doo. For some reason, that show annoyed the HELL out of me. I don't know if you should be happy she's teaching five year olds stuff you learn in high school.

Actually my 10 yo is learning all this stuff in school. No reason a bright 5yo can't learn something if she's interested.

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
I hate TV. It rots the brain and gives children and easy way out of reading. And as for this:

Watching TV since I started writing has become a nightmare. I can't stop myself pointing out plot holes, blatant foreshadowing, Deus Ex endings... :)

It's a curse, I tells ya!

I agree. I get really irritable watching television because the men of my family love these pathetic shows with little or no plot value. Mostly guns and explosions. *eye roll*

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
iCarly is one of the few show my kids watch that I can stomach. It's quite clever.

Spongebob is good in a surreal, Monty-Pythonesque sort of way, but any episode loses its lustre after the 10th viewing, IMO. I watch Hannah Montana for the Jackson character. He kills me.

I know nothing of this Rinky Dinky show. I don't think that gets piped to Canada. Either that or it's targeted to kids younger than mine.

My favourite was always Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. That show ROCKED.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I hate TV. It rots the brain and gives children and easy way out of reading. And as for this:

Um yeah. I grew up watching TV and that must be why I've always read a shitload of books, and am actively pursuing being a published writer... Because my brain is rotted right out of my head. Anyway, this isn't a "how do you feel about TV?" thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.