Sending a first query

tiger-lily

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Here is the thing -I have several pb's mss done. I've sent them out on my own with no results. I also have a nf book in education that I've received the world's longest rejection for (three pages of "It's great, but we can't publish it...seriously). Now I'm working on a romance, and I have a YA on the back burner. I'd like an agency who represents my writing, not just a particular genre, so I found one that sounds like it might. I started out the letter with a general description of a nf children's mss that I think has the best chance at this time. Then I mentioned a bit of my background and writing experinece, and each of the areas I write in. I ended it by saying I'm looking for an agent that can represent me in children's literature, education resources, and adult fiction. One page, short, simple. I don't know how else to do this? Right? Wrong? Okay? or Just Plain Stupid?

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
It was my understanding that agents expect a query to represent a specific piece of writing. One book. One project. I would guess they would be put off by your assumption that they will sign up to represent all of your work up-front.

I think you should start with offering a project you are most passionate about, and if and when you get an offer from an agent, discuss your hopes when you are discussing the terms of representation.

P.S. Feel free to disregard my advice, I am an unpublished author with only 33K of an incomplete draft. :gone:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is the thing -I have several pb's mss done. I've sent them out on my own with no results. I also have a nf book in education that I've received the world's longest rejection for (three pages of "It's great, but we can't publish it...seriously). Now I'm working on a romance, and I have a YA on the back burner. I'd like an agency who represents my writing, not just a particular genre, so I found one that sounds like it might. I started out the letter with a general description of a nf children's mss that I think has the best chance at this time. Then I mentioned a bit of my background and writing experinece, and each of the areas I write in. I ended it by saying I'm looking for an agent that can represent me in children's literature, education resources, and adult fiction. One page, short, simple. I don't know how else to do this? Right? Wrong? Okay? or Just Plain Stupid?

You might want to search around, because I've seen this question answered by agents, but my understanding is that for some agents this might actually be the kiss of death. Many agents believe in "branding" - ie, you need to, as a new writer, develop a reputation in a given genre.

So, some will actually be turned off by someone who is writing all over the place.

BUT, most important, save that discussion for the call once you are past the initial query. IMO it's harder to take an unpublished writer seriously when they seem to be trying a bit of everything.

I'm just another unpubbed writer, so TFWIW, but I would instead, draft a strong query for a single specific project. Then only discuss other projects if the agent asks about other work, or during the call.

~suki

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience that even within the same genre they only want ONE submission at a time. (Way back when I didn't know about this lovely place I sent letters about multiple books at once...)

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
One at a time! Don't you give the agent a reason to reject you or anything else which might wind up confusing or annoying her.

Danthia

Something else you may not have considered...

Unless the genres/markets are very closely linked, having books in multiple genres/markets essentially means you'll be starting over each book, so any readership you built up may not apply to your new book. I've head many agents warn against spreading yourself too wide with genre.