Fight Over Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrRita

I was just wondering if anyone watched CNN Presents last night, "Fight Over Faith?" (if not it airs next Sat. 11-20 at 6am, 8 and 11 pm) I would like to know you're reactions. I believe we as Christian writer's need to get out there with the truth in the secular marketplace and show the real face of Christ, not the "Americanized version" of Jesus. Somehow Christianity is coming across as Republican, homophoebic, morally judgmental and of the ultra conservative right wing. Christianity is portrayed as the "religion of the foolish" and I know secular America thinks we don't have enough brains to live a "real life." :teeth The call is out all you writers, to make the best of the talent God has given you and dedicate at least some to apologetics and witness. Sorry for the rant. It's because of our intelligence that we've chosen Christ and another savior. I'll shut up now.:ssh

Eowyn Eomer

I didn't see it, but then again, I don't watch a lot of CNN. They're extremely liberally biased, so no doubt they would try to portray Christians in an overly negative light.

I like FOX news myself. Recently I saw someone on there who said some stuff I agree with. They said that the Hollywood left (which is probably most of Hollywood) really isolates itself from the majority of the country by what it says regarding family values, traditional values, and faith values. Basically that they carry an attitude of anyone who doesn't agree with them are stupid, uneducated, backwards, wrong, etc. . .

They may not have the majority voice, but being Hollywood, they have one of the loudest. They said the only people who are worse is the media.

There's a verse that I really like that I try to remember in times like this.

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God - having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. (2 Tim. 3:1-5)

Overall, I try to feel blessed when persecuted. Because I know where I'm going and this life isn't really living in comparison to what will be and all those who would try to tell me I'm wrong, I can be patient, they'll learn the truth and find the harsh reality of their scoffing and mockery.

I didn't see it. I'll try to remember to watch it next Saturday. Is that 8 time in the morning or evening?

DrRita

It's at 8pm. I don't normally watch CNN but on occassion I do. Not because I agree with their liberal slant but because I like to keep tabs on their line of thinking and how the liberal press contributes to the prostitution of American morality and values. Watching the enemy and keeping tabs on its whereabouts is always prudent. I mostly watch Fox news too but I stumbled across this and wanted to see how they portrayed American Christianity. It's interesting and I think something worth watching for the information, not the entertainment. Obviously, they have their own slanted view.

Eowyn Eomer

I had a pastor once say that when he got up in the morning, he would turn on the news as he was getting ready for the day. His words were, "Nice dose of evil to start the day off." I think his point was to start the day in prayer and scripture instead. ;) I guess for me, I really don't need to hear what they think about Christians. I don't think there's anything new under the sun. :)

dub

I recently sent CNN an email -

"Best thing about Peterson decision, is that now CNN can stop the inane reporting."

I got an automated reply....

We watch CNN when we are in a hurry and want to glance at news during odd times.

dub

Eowyn Eomer

Huh?

I think its ridiculous how much media coverage this case got. How many murder cases are there in a year? Why did the national media link up. I'm sorry, but I just don't care about the Scott Peterson trial, and turn the channel whenever the news begins to talk about him. I don't watch Court TV either. I don't even watch Judge Judy. :p

Zazopolis

I find it humorous that in one light someone will say, "CNN sucks! I like Fox."
Then you have the counterparts, "Fox sucks. I like CNN."
I'll tell ya something. Y'all suck.
News is nothing more than entertaining lies.

I applaud EE for this post. As an alcoholic part-time existentialbuddhist, I don't care much for Christianity. It is perceived as the religion of the doofus, because, unfortunately, there are so many of them.

I'd like to see someone write something Christian and compelling. I wouldn't shun it. It'd just be a nice change.

Stephenie Hovland

Mr. Z,
I don't understand why you posted in the Christian writing section if you're not a Christian, not a Christian writer, and think we're a bunch of doofuses. I enjoy reading your inebriated posts in the PA threads, but I find it disrespectful here.

Zazopolis

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful.
Furthermore, I didn't call any of you doofuses. (doofi?)
I simply said there are many doofuses (doofi) who are Christians, but that can be said for any faith.
I just think the Christians have a majority.

Maybe if there was an alcoholic existentialbuddhist forum, I'd stick to my own kind.

Besides, where's the fight over faith without the fight?

Hugs,
ZaZ

Stephenie Hovland

Okay, that seemed more in line with what I hoped you were trying to say. It just came off a little harsh, with the "Y'all suck" and everything.

Personally, I don't like the arguing and bickering. Being an intelligent, nice Christian is more my style. (And, sometimes that's a challenge for me. 8o )

DrRita

Zazopolis,
In your first post you wrote:
As an alcoholic part-time existentialbuddhist, I don't care much for Christianity. It is perceived as the religion of the doofus, because, unfortunately, there are so many of them.

I find it interesting that you'd reveal yourself here as such to a bunch of doofus goodies. And your argument against Christianity is because there are so many of us? Hmmm.....leads me to think that those doofus Christians are popping up where you don't want and shining light you don't want to see. And being so hot against Christianity leads me to think you're closer to the kingdom than you think.

As for the compelling Christian literature, there is an abundance of that floating around. You could start with the Bible. And if you'd like to read some other great authors, I'm sure those here could supply you with a list.

Whatever has got you tied in knots and is eating away at your gut so that you run to Father Jack Daniels for comfort, that's your real enemy, not Christians, not God, not Jesus Christ.

So pull up a chair, sit a while, read some compelling Christian literature and discover the great I AM. :eek

Zazopolis

About time someone said something.
But really, you can have your Robertson's and your Falwell's. And hey, didn't Graham just get done with his little four day rant? Maybe if I could have my own popemobile.

I'll stick to sitting on my pillow with my brandy staring at the moutain. Maybe you too can find the way.

Eowyn Eomer

I find it humorous that in one light someone will say, "CNN sucks! I like Fox."
That's not what I said, Zazopolis.

I'll tell ya something. Y'all suck.
That's just flat out rude. Is that permitted on this board to call other board members that?

But really, you can have your Robertson's and your Falwell's. And hey, didn't Graham just get done with his little four day rant? Maybe if I could have my own popemobile.
You tell us that tv-news is purely entertainment and yet you think tv-evangelists truly represent most Christians? I'm not saying they don't, I don't pay much attention, the ones who do stand out to me, for the most part are a far cry from being authentic Christians. Yeah, call in to get your free little vile of holy water which cures everything! Please!

You know what I think? Similar to the fact that people should not drink and drive, I think people should not drink and surf the net. Your posts are inflamatory, insulting of others, judgmental, and lack real substance to them. This is a forum about Christian fiction and most posts made here that I've seen are by Christians. So to come in and hurl insults, to me, is just wrong.

Stephenie Hovland

We need a moderator in here.

This person is a troll - someone who tries to get people to argue - someone who shouldn't be here.

Zazopolis

No seriously, I apologize.
I was delusional from chemical abuse over the holiday.

Stephenie Hovland

Zaz,

How about just posting here when you become a Christian writer.

It would make much more sense.

DrRita

I think our irreverant "friend" should be very thankful that the God Who Is There supplies him with air, water and food whether or not he believes. Z will get bored and move on sooner or later. They all do.

Zazopolis

I'm taking Stephanie's advice, which leads to Dr. Rita's true statement about moving on from boredom. Without me, was anything else going on in here?
Besides, if I stay, we're going to get into some discussion about...oh, forget it.

absolutewrite

Zaz, please see the single rule of the forum: Respect your fellow writer. If you don't respect Christianity, please don't hang out with the Christian writers. Live and let live, eh?

Zazopolis

Will do. Call this a little QA. Checking response time.
As you were.

skylarburris

Christian doofi

Of course we Christians have the majority of "doofi."

We also have the majority of geniuses.

Why?

Because we have the majority. Period. (At least in Western Civilization.)

It's all a statistical inevitability.

Status
Not open for further replies.