PDA

View Full Version : Fight Over Faith

DrRita
11-15-2004, 10:36 PM
I was just wondering if anyone watched CNN Presents last night, "Fight Over Faith?" (if not it airs next Sat. 11-20 at 6am, 8 and 11 pm) I would like to know you're reactions. I believe we as Christian writer's need to get out there with the truth in the secular marketplace and show the real face of Christ, not the "Americanized version" of Jesus. Somehow Christianity is coming across as Republican, homophoebic, morally judgmental and of the ultra conservative right wing. Christianity is portrayed as the "religion of the foolish" and I know secular America thinks we don't have enough brains to live a "real life." :teeth The call is out all you writers, to make the best of the talent God has given you and dedicate at least some to apologetics and witness. Sorry for the rant. It's because of our intelligence that we've chosen Christ and another savior. I'll shut up now.:ssh

Eowyn Eomer
11-16-2004, 05:27 AM
I didn't see it, but then again, I don't watch a lot of CNN. They're extremely liberally biased, so no doubt they would try to portray Christians in an overly negative light.

I like FOX news myself. Recently I saw someone on there who said some stuff I agree with. They said that the Hollywood left (which is probably most of Hollywood) really isolates itself from the majority of the country by what it says regarding family values, traditional values, and faith values. Basically that they carry an attitude of anyone who doesn't agree with them are stupid, uneducated, backwards, wrong, etc. . .

They may not have the majority voice, but being Hollywood, they have one of the loudest. They said the only people who are worse is the media.

There's a verse that I really like that I try to remember in times like this.

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God - having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. (2 Tim. 3:1-5)

Overall, I try to feel blessed when persecuted. Because I know where I'm going and this life isn't really living in comparison to what will be and all those who would try to tell me I'm wrong, I can be patient, they'll learn the truth and find the harsh reality of their scoffing and mockery.

I didn't see it. I'll try to remember to watch it next Saturday. Is that 8 time in the morning or evening?

DrRita
11-16-2004, 07:46 AM
It's at 8pm. I don't normally watch CNN but on occassion I do. Not because I agree with their liberal slant but because I like to keep tabs on their line of thinking and how the liberal press contributes to the prostitution of American morality and values. Watching the enemy and keeping tabs on its whereabouts is always prudent. I mostly watch Fox news too but I stumbled across this and wanted to see how they portrayed American Christianity. It's interesting and I think something worth watching for the information, not the entertainment. Obviously, they have their own slanted view.

Eowyn Eomer
11-16-2004, 11:28 AM
I had a pastor once say that when he got up in the morning, he would turn on the news as he was getting ready for the day. His words were, "Nice dose of evil to start the day off." I think his point was to start the day in prayer and scripture instead. ;) I guess for me, I really don't need to hear what they think about Christians. I don't think there's anything new under the sun. :)

dub
11-16-2004, 09:25 PM
I recently sent CNN an email -

"Best thing about Peterson decision, is that now CNN can stop the inane reporting."

I got an automated reply....

We watch CNN when we are in a hurry and want to glance at news during odd times.

dub

Eowyn Eomer
11-17-2004, 03:39 AM
Huh?

I think its ridiculous how much media coverage this case got. How many murder cases are there in a year? Why did the national media link up. I'm sorry, but I just don't care about the Scott Peterson trial, and turn the channel whenever the news begins to talk about him. I don't watch Court TV either. I don't even watch Judge Judy. :p

Zazopolis
11-17-2004, 04:03 AM
I find it humorous that in one light someone will say, "CNN sucks! I like Fox."
Then you have the counterparts, "Fox sucks. I like CNN."
I'll tell ya something. Y'all suck.
News is nothing more than entertaining lies.

I applaud EE for this post. As an alcoholic part-time existentialbuddhist, I don't care much for Christianity. It is perceived as the religion of the doofus, because, unfortunately, there are so many of them.

I'd like to see someone write something Christian and compelling. I wouldn't shun it. It'd just be a nice change.

Zazopolis
11-17-2004, 04:04 AM
whoop, my apologies, Dr Rita...oy.
stupid hangover.

Stephenie Hovland
11-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Mr. Z,
I don't understand why you posted in the Christian writing section if you're not a Christian, not a Christian writer, and think we're a bunch of doofuses. I enjoy reading your inebriated posts in the PA threads, but I find it disrespectful here.

Zazopolis
11-17-2004, 06:29 AM
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful.
Furthermore, I didn't call any of you doofuses. (doofi?)
I simply said there are many doofuses (doofi) who are Christians, but that can be said for any faith.
I just think the Christians have a majority.

Maybe if there was an alcoholic existentialbuddhist forum, I'd stick to my own kind.

Besides, where's the fight over faith without the fight?

Hugs,
ZaZ

Stephenie Hovland
11-17-2004, 06:36 AM
Okay, that seemed more in line with what I hoped you were trying to say. It just came off a little harsh, with the "Y'all suck" and everything.

Personally, I don't like the arguing and bickering. Being an intelligent, nice Christian is more my style. (And, sometimes that's a challenge for me. 8o )

DrRita
11-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Zazopolis,
In your first post you wrote:
As an alcoholic part-time existentialbuddhist, I don't care much for Christianity. It is perceived as the religion of the doofus, because, unfortunately, there are so many of them.

I find it interesting that you'd reveal yourself here as such to a bunch of doofus goodies. And your argument against Christianity is because there are so many of us? Hmmm.....leads me to think that those doofus Christians are popping up where you don't want and shining light you don't want to see. And being so hot against Christianity leads me to think you're closer to the kingdom than you think.

As for the compelling Christian literature, there is an abundance of that floating around. You could start with the Bible. And if you'd like to read some other great authors, I'm sure those here could supply you with a list.

Whatever has got you tied in knots and is eating away at your gut so that you run to Father Jack Daniels for comfort, that's your real enemy, not Christians, not God, not Jesus Christ.

So pull up a chair, sit a while, read some compelling Christian literature and discover the great I AM. :eek

Zazopolis
11-23-2004, 12:24 AM
About time someone said something.
But really, you can have your Robertson's and your Falwell's. And hey, didn't Graham just get done with his little four day rant? Maybe if I could have my own popemobile.

I'll stick to sitting on my pillow with my brandy staring at the moutain. Maybe you too can find the way.

Eowyn Eomer
11-25-2004, 07:28 AM
I find it humorous that in one light someone will say, "CNN sucks! I like Fox."
That's not what I said, Zazopolis.

I'll tell ya something. Y'all suck.
That's just flat out rude. Is that permitted on this board to call other board members that?

But really, you can have your Robertson's and your Falwell's. And hey, didn't Graham just get done with his little four day rant? Maybe if I could have my own popemobile.
You tell us that tv-news is purely entertainment and yet you think tv-evangelists truly represent most Christians? I'm not saying they don't, I don't pay much attention, the ones who do stand out to me, for the most part are a far cry from being authentic Christians. Yeah, call in to get your free little vile of holy water which cures everything! Please!

You know what I think? Similar to the fact that people should not drink and drive, I think people should not drink and surf the net. Your posts are inflamatory, insulting of others, judgmental, and lack real substance to them. This is a forum about Christian fiction and most posts made here that I've seen are by Christians. So to come in and hurl insults, to me, is just wrong.

Stephenie Hovland
11-27-2004, 03:40 AM
We need a moderator in here.

This person is a troll - someone who tries to get people to argue - someone who shouldn't be here.

Zazopolis
11-27-2004, 04:46 AM
No seriously, I apologize.
I was delusional from chemical abuse over the holiday.

Stephenie Hovland
11-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Zaz,

How about just posting here when you become a Christian writer.

It would make much more sense.

DrRita
11-28-2004, 12:13 PM
I think our irreverant "friend" should be very thankful that the God Who Is There supplies him with air, water and food whether or not he believes. Z will get bored and move on sooner or later. They all do.

Zazopolis
11-28-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm taking Stephanie's advice, which leads to Dr. Rita's true statement about moving on from boredom. Without me, was anything else going on in here?
Besides, if I stay, we're going to get into some discussion about...oh, forget it.

Eowyn Eomer
11-29-2004, 03:55 AM
I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes

absolutewrite
11-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Zaz, please see the single rule of the forum: Respect your fellow writer. If you don't respect Christianity, please don't hang out with the Christian writers. Live and let live, eh?

Zazopolis
11-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Will do. Call this a little QA. Checking response time.
As you were.

DrRita
11-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Thank you Jenna. Poor soul, needs a mommy.:\

Zazopolis
11-30-2004, 12:26 AM
How about a mommy -slash- bartender?

skylarburris
12-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Of course we Christians have the majority of "doofi."

We also have the majority of geniuses.

Why?

Because we have the majority. Period. (At least in Western Civilization.)

It's all a statistical inevitability.

Ruukah
12-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Matthew 5:11 - Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. :)

DrRita
12-20-2004, 09:38 PM
;) Amen to that.

Betty W01
01-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Let's all keep Zaz in our prayers. That'll teach him! :D

MrAngelwithnowings
01-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Hmmm,

Why be so riled up and concerned over what Zaz says and posts?

Why must we try to remove or ban them from our sights?

Is our faith in Christ not strong enough that we can't even handle anything the likes of one may spew forth at us?

If we cannot withstand one such as Zaz, then how can we even withstand Satan himself?

We do little good being only amongst the faithful.

We must also be amongst the wicked and unjust of the world, so that they may see the light of Christ within us. Let it be a prime example to them in their darkness.

I say let Zaz and whoever else may try to cause division, dissension, and confusion to stay. They try to test your faith and break you.

I say hold steadfast to your faith and teachings and stand your ground.

Remember that if the Lord is your strength, then you cannot be defeated even if there were 1 million Zaz's.

"1 Corinthians 16:13
Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong."

- MrAngelwithnowings

Betty W01
01-28-2005, 07:02 AM
MrAngel, it's not too much to ask that people who post in Christian Writing actually be interested in and involved in (or desirous of being involved in) Christian writing. People who want to diss it can always go to Take It Out, where (almost) anything goes. In here, though, if you want to diss the Lord or Christian Writing, you're gonna be asked to (possibly assisted to) leave.

Puddle Jumper
02-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Doofi? Is that the plural of doofus?

Pat~
03-10-2005, 07:10 AM
I was just wondering if anyone watched CNN Presents last night, "Fight Over Faith?" (if not it airs next Sat. 11-20 at 6am, 8 and 11 pm) I would like to know you're reactions. I believe we as Christian writer's need to get out there with the truth in the secular marketplace and show the real face of Christ, not the "Americanized version" of Jesus. Somehow Christianity is coming across as Republican, homophoebic, morally judgmental and of the ultra conservative right wing. Christianity is portrayed as the "religion of the foolish" and I know secular America thinks we don't have enough brains to live a "real life." :teeth The call is out all you writers, to make the best of the talent God has given you and dedicate at least some to apologetics and witness. Sorry for the rant. It's because of our intelligence that we've chosen Christ and another savior. I'll shut up now.:ssh

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8, 9)

DrRita
03-10-2005, 07:35 PM
pb,

I'm not sure if I said something this prompted this scriptual reminder? I understand that no one is saved on their own merits or their intelligence and only grace and mercy get us into God's family by being born again. Is there a misreading into my original post? I was ranting about the perceptions of Christians as being too gullible or stupid to "stand on their own." Anyway, I hope this might clear things up, if not please point out what you're trying to correct.
Blessings,
R

momwrites
03-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Faith without works is dead. You have to do something.

Dancre
03-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I think what Pat's trying to say is she agrees with you and we when need to press into God's grace to get the word across, not try to rely on ourselves. (it never works anyway.:( ) Am i right, huh, huh, am i? :idea:

and it's interesting that she brings up that verse. last night i was working on my novel and the Holy Spirit prompted me to take out a section. of course, i protested. "But Father, this is a good part."

Take it out.

But you don't understand, this explains the section before.

Take it out.

But -

take it out.

Bu-

Take it out.

So i took it out and He, of course, gave me something better that blew me away. sigh. maybe one day i'll learn to listen. of course, He did write all 66 books of the Bible.
kim

Pat~
03-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Dr. Rita,

While I can empathisize with your feelings about the lack of respect sometimes accorded to Christians, I can't agree with the comment at the end of your post:

"It's because of our intelligence that we've chosen Christ and another savior."

The implication to the unbelieving world is that we're MORE intelligent, and that's why we're Christians and they're not. Not only does that show a lack of respect for their intelligence, it's theologically inaccurate. WE did not choose Christ, HE chose us before the foundation of the world, (see Ephesians 1) and it's only by grace that we responded to His call (whether intelligent or not).

Humility MUST be the first step for anyone responding to the call of God for salvation. And it is one of the characteristics of Christ that others will respond to when we try to steer them toward the Truth. Unless others see a Christlike humility in the way we converse with them about the Truth, they will never hear His whispering conviction...they will only hear the battle between human egos convinced of their superiority. "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal" (1 Cor. 13:1).

I am not meaning to cause any ill feelings here between brothers and sisters in Christ, only to remind us all that we are called to be light and salt, speaking the Truth in LOVE. I wished I could've seen a bit more of that in the various responses to the slightly tipsy but obviously thirsty soul who wandered in to this thread under the guise of antagonism.

ZaZ
03-11-2005, 12:55 AM
the slightly tipsy but obviously thirsty soul who wandered in to this thread under the guise of antagonism

If I didn't know better, I'd say that is me. :thankyou:

Pat~
03-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Well, hello ZaZ...is that you leaning against the Roman column, or are you the one eating the flowers?

ZaZ
03-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Well, listen-hear pilgrim, I'm trying, I say, I'm trying to quiet my mental monkey and pacify my intellectual horse. I am like a dead tree, a withering stump.

Vipersniper
03-11-2005, 03:49 AM
:Hug2: Well I got to the point that I rarely watch the news media anymore unless it is something local. Because I am a Christian in that I know that I was a sinner before I became a Christian and my belief is that to hate the sin as we perceive it but not the sinner. I do get rattled when we have to feel like it is a crime to be a Christian although some in the church make the case for the opposite. I always say that my relatives did not like the Baptist Church so they became Methodists. open door, open minds and open hearts. Treat others as you want to be treated.

Dancre
03-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Well, listen-hear pilgrim, I'm trying, I say, I'm trying to quiet my mental monkey and pacify my intellectual horse. I am like a dead tree, a withering stump.

Welcome back, ZaZ, that's an interesting John Wayne, pilgrim. take your shoes off while us cowpolks round up the doggies. then we can all eat Cookies grub. of course, i'm being silly. but welcome back.

I do get rattled when we have to feel like it is a crime to be a Christian although some in the church make the case for the opposite.

Well dear, Jesus did say the world would hate us for no reason. He never said this would be a bed roses. That's why Paul said he rejoiced in God's grace. It's God's grace that gets us up in the morning. Don't let it rattle you. remember when Paul and Silas were wrongly accused and thrown in prison? they worshiped God and He did an incredible miracle.

kim

DrRita
03-13-2005, 05:51 PM
pb,

I see what got you and yes, if I didn't know you and you posted that I'd react the same way. I agree with you. We were chosen and and no one comes unless first called, even our faith is a gift, all of it. I don't presume to think that my salvation is due to anything I've done or am. So yes, if I came across that way I needed to be corrected.

Thanks for your response.

Hello Zaz,
Hope your well.

Pat~
03-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Dr. Rita,

Thanks for the post in reply. So glad to know we're on the same page, and that no offense was taken.

Blessings,
pb

Vipersniper
03-23-2005, 02:45 AM
:snoopy: I really find it only natural to write poems and articles about my faith but I do get chastized by certain men that feel that a woman has no place or apptitude for writing. I had one tell me that he was a prophet of God and my writing was a stench in the nose of God. That was very ugly and it did bother me very much. I told him he was no prophet of God at least not the God that I worship. I write things like What The Wise Man said after a prompt on authorsden.com and AllPoetry.com as well as other things it got some good reviews but right in the middle of one the guy says well if God does so much for you why all this blah, blah and it shows that people still do not get it. I do write for friends in my church and try to contribute somewhere each day something about the faith. I have people say to me to prove to them that God exists and I turn it upside down and say prove to me that he doesn't? That throws them off and I think that I am going to like hanging with you guys because I still have a lot to learn. I hate watching the news and agree with the analogy of Fannie Flagg that the devil has sets of initials in that ABC, CBS, NBC. FOX and CNN. all go on and on about things. Once in awhile I watch documentary and if it is something interesting I watch the national news but pay more attention to the local news. I am a cancer survivor of three occurances and multiple surgeries and I thank God every day for bringing me through when someone said that I had two weeks to two months to live. I have something else to discuss and will post on this later.

Alphabeter
03-23-2005, 03:02 PM
I taped the special if anyone would like a copy. VHS-I don't have DVD capability.