Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
If I give someone a rep point, and the text scrolls out of the box and then becomes stuck and won't scroll back to let me read it and check that I didn't make a mistake, does that mean that the person is going to get something weird like a chopped-up bit of a sentence as their rep point comment?

I really don't want to accidentally send out unintelligible rep point comments.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Good lord, woman -- how long ARE those rep comments you're leaving?

Fade

The Captain of My Soul
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. How could that happen?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good lord, woman -- how long ARE those rep comments you're leaving?

*looks guilty*

I've done the same thing and noticed the same problem.

What I do is just hold down my arrow key until the cursor goes back, but it sometimes won't show the whole thing.

And no, btw, it won't chop up the reps. I've given and received some really long rep point comments and there's never been an issue. :)

Deleted member 42

Don't, please, leave Rep Comments that are more than 255 characters.

Please don't use non-ASCII characters--things like curly quotes, or non-English characters can cause problems. It won't crash or anything, but later Scott or I will have to hunt it down because they do cause problems when we rebuild the database.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea that would be a problem. Oiy.

Well, I'm glad I know now. Sorry about that.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
If you want to test it out, Jamie, you can give me reppies. :D

Don't, please, leave Rep Comments that are more than 255 characters.

Please don't use non-ASCII characters--things like curly quotes, or non-English characters can cause problems. It won't crash or anything, but later Scott or I will have to hunt it down because they do cause problems when we rebuild the database.

Thanks for the offer to test it! However, it seems that I'd better avoid writing things that long. I don't want to cause more work for the people running AW.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I'm trying not to laugh. Really I am... :ROFL:

damn

The best way to cook up a long rep is in a text editor (NOT WORD, because then you risk those deadly curlies). That way you can see all of it and it pastes in just fine. Any good text editor will show the number of characters counted up to the cursor position, showing the number in the status bar.

Notepad won't show the status bar unless word wrap is turned off, and it gives the number as "Col #" (as in column). Notepad is a sucky text editor.

Deleted member 42

Honestly, it's the funny characters that are a problem, more than the length. When members report that suddenly they can't read their Rep comments (you should be able to see the last 500, assuming you've received that many) it's usually because they've got a really really long one, and/or funky character in one of them.

Or they've been thinking Impure Thoughts.

That messes up a lot of stuff.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, it's the funny characters that are a problem, more than the length. When members report that suddenly they can't read their Rep comments (you should be able to see the last 500, assuming you've received that many) it's usually because they've got a really really long one, and/or funky character in one of them.

Or they've been thinking Impure Thoughts.

That messes up a lot of stuff.
Ahem. Impure thoughts do not mess up the reppies. Not that I have ever sent any or received any. *whistles innocently* :)

Status
Not open for further replies.