PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a writing partner for a novel with a specific plot...

theallknowingkumquat
04-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Not completely sure this board is the right place to put this, but we'll give it a go.

Plot: MC1 and MC2 are two different people, with completely different interests. They been there for each other for years, what seems like forever – so long that they know pretty much everything there is to know about each other. They’re both eighteen. MC1 is quiet and somewhat meek. MC2 is loud, bold, and outspoken. MC1 is a peacemaker, constantly trying to keep the atmosphere calm. MC2 is the master of chaos, constantly trying to make a scene without being seen whenever possible. They’re polar opposites in almost every way, and annoy each other more than anything else most of the time. So what makes them best friends, if they can’t stand each other half the time?
They live in the same body.
MC1 and MC2 are actually one person with Dissociative Identity Disorder (otherwise known as Multiple Personality Disorder). MC2 is a mindset developed by MC1 as a child, after some grand tragedy, to act as a confidant and protector of sorts. MC1 has control of his body most of the time, but when MC2 is in control, MC1 remembers nothing from it. MC2 is generally stronger than MC1, and could ‘take control’ whenever he wanted, but chooses to work more behind the scenes. When something bad happens to MC1, MC2 is sure to take care of whoever was the cause of it.
Something happens to make the tragedy reoccur (people will very likely be the cause of it), and MC1 becomes distraught. MC2 tells his friend not to worry, and things begin to happen to the people causing MC1 harm. Unlike usual, where MC2’s antics are small and go bizarrely unnoticed, these things become illegal and dangerous. Where to go from here? We’ll see.

Notes: The two main characters can see each other as if they were really two separate persons. It’s a lot like Smeagol and Gollum in Lord of the Rings, only less wrinkled and creepy.
The two main characters don’t look alike – they’re completely different in every way.
MC1 isn’t completely aware that MC2’s presence means he’s mentally unstable, or that MC2 is an alternate personality.

The structure I’d like to set up is, every other chapter be a different persona. For instance, chapters 1, 3, and 5 would be in MC1’s point of view; chapters 2, 4, and 6 would be in MC2’s point of view (purely for example, not limiting it to 6 chapters). I’m looking for someone to write MC2’s point of view. Details of the plot will be further discussed and developed later on.

How it would be done:
Basically, each of us have our separate characters. Because the book would be from two different points of view, we would be writing about the same events, but not in the same voices. I've read a lot about co-authors, and their main struggle is usually keeping the voice the same. But with this, that's not a problem.

We would develop the plot further, discuss any issues we might have, and outline the book -- chapter by chapter, so we’d both be on the same page. I’d like to complete character bios, so that we know more about each other’s character. Then we’d write. Have you ever roleplayed before? That’s what it would be, sort of. When there’s dialogue between the two characters, we can write it together in an IM session, then each add the different details in our separate chapter. Or we can write that scene together, paragraph by paragraph. Really, that part depends. We would email each other the chapters. Then when we finish the book, we’ll work on editing it.

If you’re interested, contact me with an email that:
1. Tells me a bit about yourself.
2. Includes a sample piece of writing.
3. Shares any questions about the plot you might have.
If you’re not sure about something and you’d like to contact me with just 1 and 3, and leave 2 for later when you are sure you’re interested, that’s fine too.

Virginia5332
04-23-2009, 02:44 AM
I dropped you an email. Let me know what you think!