Status
Not open for further replies.

JANE007

I'm Part Of The Problem
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lingoslinger.wordpress.com
Where do you get your magical ideas from? Those characters and situations that are so appealing to imaginative little minds. Any ideas would be appreciated, i'm stuck in an adult mind and am looking to break free.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I'm around kids a lot, so maybe that helps.

I have a million ideas in my head. It's just a matter of picking the right ones and disciplining them into a story.

For non-fiction, I find that one topic can have so many angles for so many ages, that I just have to sit down and tackle it.

For fiction, I have to "float" and idea for awhile. Either I noodle around with it in my head or on paper. Little bits and pieces of it jump out here and there. When it gets stale, I put it aside and work on something else. It'll pop up again - or not. If not, then I let it sit or delete it.

Read a bunch of kids' books and watch some TV. There are so many creative (and so many lame) ideas out there, it just may trigger something for you.

If it doesn't come to you, then don't write for kids. I know I would have a heck of a time writing a murder mystery. So, I don't.

Stephanie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familylifeabroad.com
I think being around kids (and making notes of the things they say) is an invaluable springboard. Last night, my youngest wanted to know if the brain was located in her stomach or head, and if it helped her to think.

I'm just setting it aside with a bunch of other collected material, which I look over sometimes. Maybe it'll spark a new idea; or find its way in as a line of dialogue somewhere; or simply serve as insight as to how kids think.

JANE007

I'm Part Of The Problem
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lingoslinger.wordpress.com
My girls are too young to speak yet, but boy I can't wait until they do. They have the funniest personalities already (at only 4 months old), so I can imagine the things that will come out of their mouths.

I do read a lot of childrens books though, especially Dr. Seuss!!!

Thanks for the good tips!
J007

watcher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
askthepsychic.blogspot.com
Ideas?

I get alot of my ideas from real life. I also get phrases and titles that come into my head. I'm always wondering what kids would think of this and what kids would think of that. (I must, humbly confess that I have been around a lot of kids and was one of those who secretly did not want to grow up - a Petra Pan!)

Sometimes an incident will trigger an idea. Stories are out there trying to get your attention. sometimes they can be quite insistent. What pecular things happened to you today?
I'll give you an example of this: I'm in a wheelchair and on crutches from and automobile accident. I live on the second floor which means I no longer answer the door but I can look out and see who it is after they leave the porch.

A few days ago someone knocked. When she left I saw it was a large woman carrying and empty platter. She was someone I didn't know and I was flabustered as to why she might be carrying an empty platter. But then I asked the question what if in a kid's story a stranger knocks at your door and you open it up and they're carrying a .....

Believe it or not, I got a story idea from the accident as well. I had to... something good had to come out of it.

There's articles on the seven main kinds of stories as well. You can google for them under plots. Some of them are: the quest, a transition, the underdog, maturation, rivalry and temptation.
Happy writing!

Take Care,
Faye

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
I get them from watching people walk by. I don't write kids books, but it works for a lot of genres - watch how small children behave and interact, and what catches their attention.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I get ideas from my kids. My twins are five, and they are like little sponges -- they just absorb everything in the world around them, and some of the things they say make me laugh out loud. My oldest is thirteen, and she inspires me a lot because she's got some really strong opinions on the Way Things Ought To Be.

I just sold a children's book which was inspired by my son's love of all things piratey. Arrr!

Stephanie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familylifeabroad.com
Congratulations, PattyTheWicked - fantastic news!

A great people-watching place is playgrounds. You get all age-groups: babies, kids, pre-teens and caregivers, and the interaction and activity levels are high.

Example of a particularly vivid moment: little girl picks up a large rock and sneaks up -- with great purpose and intent -- to throw it on the back of an unsuspecting pigeon. The bird just managed to escape. The grandmother (I think) murmured "don't do that" and the child ran off to play again (momentarily catching my exaggerated look of horror and disapproval--I nearly fell off the bench in my attempt to convey all those emotions).

Anyway, the moment obviously impacted me, and I'll bet you it'll find its way into some upcoming writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.