Home beer kits...

Good idea?

• Yes, sounds like fun.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No, it's expensive and not very good.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Get help you driunk.

• Go take twelve steps off of an eleven step pier.

• Total voters

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Making your own beer does not save much, if any, money and the results usually are not as good as what you can buy and the beer depot.
But it is fun and creative. A good hobby.
Go for it! Find a free class and you will avoid many headaches.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
My brother has a home brew kit. Even if I did drink, I wouldn't partake of anything he made. But that is more due to him rather than the idea of a home brew kit. In the hands of a competent person, it sounds like a decent idea and probably a good hobby.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most home beer brewers don't produce anything you'd opt to drink for the first several months. Because it's carbonated, bottling requires a capper, and they're not cheap. Bottles can and do explode if your yeast is too active.

However, a family member has been home-brewing mead for about six months, and all but the first batch have been quite tasty and fully drinkable. (The orange he bought for flavoring that first batch turning out to be a small grapefruit was a factor.) He says 750 ml. (a standard wine bottle) costs him under a buck to make. I haven't yet tasted his hard cider, which he says is a little too alcoholic but still smooth and drinkable.

I also have an acquaintance, the husband of a woman in my critique group, who makes wine better than some stuff I buy.

So if I were going to make alcoholic anything at home, I'd probably try mead, cider, or wine before I attempted beer.

Maryn, not into exploding glass bottles

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
My father tried home brewing when I was about thirteen or so. My mom was not too happy about having to clean up all the exploded glass bottles when he - hello? - failed to heed the instructions. His many attempts at microbrewing all turned out like his chili - basically unconsumable, although no one would tell him for fear of hurting his feelings. On the flip side of it, I used to work with a guy who made his own beer and wine, and his stuff was really good. So in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, it does work. (I've been playing with the idea of making mead...)

Speaking of homebrewing, me and my mom got an ugly little surprise when we were cleaning out the garden shed after my father died. We found eighteen large boxes full of beer bottles he told my mom he'd gotten rid of - a good number of which were still full. :eek:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
My dad got me one of these maybe 5 months ago. It's a lot of work and it's best that you follow the instructions to the letter given the risk of explosion, but so far the beer has been tasty.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking of mead now. Do I have to dress up like a viking for this?